Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I feel like I'm doing this whole thing wrong ...

So I'm three months post-op. I've posted a few times about the complications I've been dealing with - ulcer, hiatal hernia, gallbladder went bad and had to be removed, and now dry heaving that won't stop. I also have a very limited appetite, my sense of smell has gone suddenly super-sensitive, and I can't seem to tolerate meat. I know a lot of this is just part of the healing process, and I'm dealing - it's getting better, I think.

All that being said. I feel like I'm doing everything wrong! I know I'm not getting enough liquid - I try, but I can only tolerate certain liquids or temperatures or else it sets me off into a dry heaving fit, and that is NOT pleasant. I know for SURE I'm not getting as much Protein as I need. I can't have dairy due to the ulcer, and I can't tolerate meat. Protein shakes are disgusting to me. Does anyone have recommendations on ways I can get the protein in?

Also, I feel like what little I'm eating is wrong. Because of the ulcer and my own tolerances, there's not much I can stand. I'm afraid I'm eating too many carbs. I know it's not that many, but I'm still worried. No one ever gave me a carb count to stick to.

Ugh. Any help would be much appreciated!!

Wow, you are definitely in a difficult situation, especially when you are 3 months post-op. In your situation, the first thing I would suggest is talk to your NUT. This seems definitely like a complex situation where you need serious dietitian help.

With not being able to eat meat or Protein shakes (or Protein powder I assume), it would seem you will have to get all your Protein from plant sources, such as tofu, edemame, Beans, chickpeas (even as a paste dip [hummus] with something like sliced cucumbers), quinoa, hemp seeds, seitan, etc. Just like a vegetarian. Google for vegetarian protein and see what you come up with.

Quinoa is a great substitute for rice, and I love edemame (you can get it steamed or even baked for a crunchy taste). Chickpeas can be either eaten plain, baked for a crunchy treat, or pureed into hummus.

However, note that you will have to consume quite a bit of these foods to get in your recommended daily protein allowance. Unfortunately, meat sources are the best high-density protein sources out there.

Can you eat fish? That may also be an option for higher protein. Try cod, tuna, haddock, and halibut, which are high-protein. Careful of any breading, which will add carbs and maybe fat to them.

In order to ensure you get in your required protein, as we were taught from the beginning, start every meal with your protein first. If you have room after the protein, then other fruits/veg (such as broccoli, squash, bell peppers, bannanas, berries, etc.). If you still have room after that, then the other carbs (potatoes, corn, whole-grain bread, whole-grain crackers, etc.). It is really important to get in your daily protein when eating these low-density-protein sources, so eat that first.

Also, ensure you are taking your Vitamins. With eating so little, you cannot get your necessary Vitamins from food, so you need to take your supplements.

As far as Fluid intake, I don't know what to say. Can you tolerate straight Water? If so, sipping that all day may be the only option. If you can handle flavored water, of course Crystal Light or something similar (I'm sure you've tried that).

Though I have not had my revision to gastric bypass yet, I have been doing a fair amount of research into the procedure.

Most importantly is to keep your medical team apprised of your current conditions. They are the best and most reliable source of how to cope with and manage the current issues you are experiencing. They have answers for you beyond what the forum may provide.

I also know that we have a "honeymoon" post surgery, and we need to make the most progress with weight loss during that time. When you feel that you are not following your food plan, it is time to get in contact with your NUT also.

I hope you feel better fast...

I agree with what everyone has said. Here's a great Protein Water I recently found and tried. It's called Protein2-0, like H2-0. It has "HydroLean which is a proprietary Protein blend that has been clinically formulated to help rebuild lean muscle and strength. The protein molecules have been simplified to improve digestion and minimize waste. This process allows for faster absorption by the body when compared to other proteins" according to their website. I love it because it tastes great. Helps me get my Water in and keeps me hydrated. When I need a lil extra flavor, I add a few drops of flavored liquid Stevia. Hope things improve for you soon. Please keep us posted!

post-236324-0-10172900-1444192760_thumb.jpg

post-236324-0-22976700-1444192869_thumb.jpg

Can you tolerate eggs? that would be another good Protein source while you are not able to eat meat. Also, I've seen many people say that something that didn't sit well one week was fine a few weeks later, so keep trying different meats; hopefully things will change soon.

Have you tried the Isopure ready to drink Protein drinks that are clearish - different flavors like tea, grape, apple melon, etc. They are a bit sweet to me, but at least you'd get your Protein in with them. What about Soups? I have been using Healthwise Soups that my surgeon's office sells - 20 g protein I think, with only 100 calories. the creamed ones are very tasty; not sure if you can have them due to dairy but I am lactose intolerant and they don't bother me, so it's a very small amount. They also have a chicken bouillon with protein, as does powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury. Unjury also makes an unflavored protein you could add to whatever you're tolerating right now.

I hope things improve for you soon!

I agree with what everyone has said. Here's a great Protein Water I recently found and tried. It's called Protein2-0, like H2-0. It has "HydroLean which is a proprietary protein blend that has been clinically formulated to help rebuild lean muscle and strength. The protein molecules have been simplified to improve digestion and minimize waste. This process allows for faster absorption by the body when compared to other proteins" according to their website. I love it because it tastes great. Helps me get my water in and keeps me hydrated. When I need a lil extra flavor, I add a few drops of flavored liquid Stevia. Hope things improve for you soon. Please keep us posted!

where can I find this

@@lachellove Their website is drinkprotein2o.com You just click on store locator and put in your zip code.

@@lachellove Their website is drinkprotein2o.com You just click on store locator and put in your zip code.

thank you so much