Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 9 months post sleeve. I never know if I should go sugar free or is it ok to eat real sugar in foods with moderation of course. Any opinions would be appreciated.

It's a slippery slope. You don't really want to get back on that hormonal/insulin roller coaster do you?

What do you mean by moderation? If you mean the naturally occurring sugar in fruit and lactose in dairy which also comes with nutrients and at least for the fruit, some Fiber then enjoy in moderation but what purpose would adding extra empty calories with no nutrients serve? Of course we should all have the occasional treat, but we must keep them truly occasional or else they can turn into a habit, which for me turned into an addiction. Personally I allow myself one single serving of Hagen Daz once per month and also the few grams of sugar in the Dannon strawberry cheesecake Greek yogurt on a nearly daily basis. It's yummy and just enough with Protein so it doesn't spoke the insulin. I for one am not getting back on that roller coaster ever again.

I try to eat things naturally low in sugar, no sugar added, or sugar free most of the time. I haven't yet tried anything high in sugar (like ice cream or cake). I do eat fruit. And use honey on occasion.

What my surgeon wants us to avoid like the plague is high fructose corn Syrup. You have to read labels carefully, because it is in everything. I even found Its even in children's liquid Tylenol.

@@Biloxigirl

I do stevia or splenda (Sugar makes me feel crappy) I do indulge in it once in a great while. With 33 pounds to go... ask yourself if the extra calories are worth slowing down your weight loss.

Thanks everybody, I do use Splenda on a regular basis but everyone says the artificial stuff is so bad for you so that brought me to the question of sugar vs sugar free? I will continue doing what I have been, just wondering what everyone else was doing.

I discussed this with my dietitian. I honestly don't know what to believe. I'm diabetic, so, obviously I have to watch my carbs. But is a small amount of sugar as opposed to artificial sweeteners that are screwing with my brain chemistry (by some reports) better or worse for me - which is the larger evil? Right now I'm trying to avoid sweet things altogether with the exception of a small packet of splenda if I have cream of wheat, which I do infrequently. Sweets are a major trigger for me and I'm doing what I can to readjust my eating. So... no answers for you. But I continue to ask the same question!

Honestly, I'd rather have the natural sugars than the sugar alternatives. My blood sugar levels are great with the reduced amounts I am taking in.

I eat sugar. For me post surgery I have a horrible reaction to all artificial sweeteners and I do not like stevia or agave. So I deal with real sugar .

I do real sugar, raw honey and maple sugar. However I am extremely careful to keep the amounts small and I try not to have any of these every day. I do partake in small amount of fruit so I do get naturally occurring sugars as well.

Splenda is actually the better one

Splenda is less artificial because it's derived from sugar. The vanilla Protein Powder I use instead of coffee creamer has a sucrolose(generic splenda) in it. I find that if I am careful and don't use too much it doesn't trigger my allergies

I am 9 months post sleeve. I never know if I should go sugar free or is it ok to eat real sugar in foods with moderation of course. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Real sugar has 23 calories per packet (like often distributed with coffee). It's really not that much, unless of course, you're swilling sodas, and grazing Cookies and Desserts - of course that's how a lot of us got here.

Artificial sweeteners have little to no calories. But, they are not physiologically inert. They have been found to stimulate appetite and to stimulate adipogenesis (fat deposition), just like sugar does - so they are not truly "free" in terms of maintaining healthy weight. Large amounts of artificial sweeteners should be avoided just like the real thing.

Personally, as long as they are taken in small amounts, I don't think there is much evidence to worry about the choice too much. In general, you want to minimize both sugar and low Fiber complex carbs like are found in white rice, white bread, Pasta and potatoes. High fiber sources of carbohydrates, like unsweetened oatmeal, whole wheat bread, legumes and fruits are actually a useful part of a healthy diet.