Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Timeframe for non-NHS

Hi everyone, I'm planning on having the sleeve surgery done and I ws wondering how long a process it is from start to surgey (approximately, assuming no major problems).

I'm from near Birmingham in the UK, but I mostly work abroad and will be finishing my contract in Indonesia next June (2016). I want to have my sleeve done and then I was planning to start looking for a new positon in the new year so I could have time to recover, spend with family and have a Christmas at home.

How far in advance should I realistically be planning this? Also, I'm considering going to Brussels to get my surgery done as the level of care seems high/doctors seem experienced but it's cheaper than the UK; does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by perforce

I decided to do it in March 15. Was sleeved 19th May. Can be as quick as you want but you need to do the pre-op diet first

Hello,I'm having my sleeve done in Prague in January,8th.i decided to do it in end of November,coz its xmas time I have to wait till January.its £4200 with the flights,here in Uk at Spire would cost me around £11000.

Good luck

The time frame all depends on whether the consultant you choose tells you to drop some poundage before you have surgery. I was lucky enough to get away without doing this so I got a choice of dates with very little lead up time. I went to Belgium, but through ECFS (have a look at their web site) but it was to Roeselare not Brussels. I received excellent care and was out of hospital the day after surgery (albeit ensconced in the hotel feeling less than wonderful) and the following day I went into the town and did some light shopping and apple juice drinking accompanied by my hubby. I can't praise ECFS enough. I can't believe that I waited so long to get round to having the surgery. It's the best thing I have ever done for myself and my health. I feel wonderful and the blubber is slowly melting away with amazing ease. All I have to do is to keep the Protein and Water going in in the correct quantities, keep the rest of my diet under control, and the weight comes off. Oh yes, exercise too. Think my two dogs now have shorter legs than they did 10 weeks ago due to longer and longer walks. Love it!

I saw my surgeon at the end of January and had my op on the 17th March. Recovery for me took a few weeks so I would say give yourself 4 or so months realistically to ensure you have no major issues before working abroad again. I cannot praise my surgeon enough I had professor amore at the Spire hospital in Manchester. His team were incredibly supportive and listened me all my concerns etc. When you go private for surgery it can be done as quickly as you want it providing there isn't a waiting list. I would recommend seeing someone you have done research on etc before your deadline and book in to avoid disappointment.

Good luck with your surgery I had mine done in cork with colm Boyle def recommend him but it's a hefty 16000 euros I was just too afraid to go abroad worried about journey home. Realistically your looking at 4 weeks recovery first 2 were draining and sore but best decision I ever made. 4 weeks post op 30lbs down