Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

20 days and things aren't "moving"...

Sorry, TMI, but troubled, terrified actually. 20 days post RNY. Came out with flying colors, walking super-star, all in all felt/feel great until recently. Haven't been able to poo on my own (without Milk of Mag, suppository, Smooth Move tea) in 3 weeks. I've made it happen a total of three times. Down 17 lbs since surgery, not sure how that is possible, but anyway... I have a very sore bum and am seeing a local general surgeon tomorrow (my WLS surgeon is about 2.5 hours away) to take a look at it and see if he can help (super excited about this- NOT!) Thrombosed hemmer!! If you don't know, you don't want to. If you DO KNOW, it is one of the worst pains ever!! This "problem" hurts worse than the surgery itself So... How after WLS do we get things working again? I do NOT want to become laxative dependent, but cannot live like this either. What do you do to get the Fiber in?? Anything else anyone knows to prevent the painful, unpleasant, fire and shredded glass/razor pain, please share. I was hoping for improvement, not a complete halt. Suggestions??

I'm worried about this too. I'm 6 days post op and I only went today with the assistance of a suppository. I feel like it's part of why I have discomfort.

I only can pee if I have Water running and wipe myself with a wet washcloth first. Idk what's going on down there but I hope it all goes back to normal soon!

Although not as bad as you guys seem to have it (my sympathies, it must be awful!), I have also been having this problem. I am not sure, but I think it is because the sorts of foods we are eating on the liquid and pureed food stages don't have much fiber in them. I recently got Benefiber, and have been putting that into my drinks (Powerade Zero, actually). I am hopeful that this will...rectify...this situation.

@@toasty "rectify" ... I see what you did there. XD

And for you others in this thread I'm so sorry to hear about your issues, I can only imagine how awful it must feel. I've always been perfectly regular, but since surgery I have experienced a little bit of a back up for basically the first time ever. I find that exercising and then immediately taking a hot bath or shower really, really helps me. Other than that, Smooth Move tea is really all my tummy can deal with. My NUT tells me that near the end of the month when I can switch to the next phase of food I can start oatmeal, and I already bought the weight control quaker oats, which have more fiber/protein and less sugar than other oatmeals, and I'm hoping that little bit of bulk will help. I also noticed a marked improvement when I raised my Water intake from 60-ish ounces a day to 75-80. HUGE help, even though it's above the "recommended" Water intake. Try it out, I hope some of this stuff helps you! Feel better. :)

Miralax is working for me- I am doing it every 2-3 days depending on how I am feeling.

Good morning,

I am exactly 9 weeks post op, and I have been having issues with this since the day I left the hospital! After my surgery, I had to go to the ER because I hadn't gone to the bathroom in almost 2 weeks. That was a horrible experience :( .

I've called my doctor's office and spoke with the nurse on this issue, but they do not want to put me on medicine and rather for me to go "naturally." The only way I can go, is by taking a suppository or milk of magnesia. This morning I felt miserable because I had to go and couldn't! I eat high fiber foods and still have problems.

If anybody can give advice, please do! :unsure:

I too am having the sam issues. My dr started me on Miralax. I started taking it yesterday and still nothing. I had my surgery last Monday and have just gone a very little bit once. Definitely not fun...

Well, it makes me feel better that I am not alone. Sorry ya'll. I had an appointment today to see a surgeon today locally to "rectify" the situation- thanks @ toasty.. haha. I go crazy she-scaping for the appointment (hey it's fall in IL, upper thigh shaving is optional at this point... haha), get of the shower to get the call "he got caught up in surgery, do you want to reschedule?" Grrrr!! Bum still VERY sore, but better than the weekend or even yesterday, so I pray it is somewhat resolving itself gradually? My WLS surgeon/team initially told me no bulk fiber or anything for like 6 weeks. I got through all the nurses and residents and actually spoke to the man yesterday (again 2.5 hours away.) He gave me the green light to start putting some fiber powder in my shakes, mirilax, Probiotics... Whatever works. I really really do not want to become 100% dependent though. I know I should try upping my Water intake, I love Water or atleast always DID. Since surgery my first sips give me horrible stomach cramps (without the poop) and I guess have me somewhat turned off to water :( Water, coffee, exercise, laxatives, hot showers, fiber suppliments...got it... ;) Oh.. maybe this will help someone else. Sounds weird, but when you are in misery anything is worth a shot, huh? I saw on another site someone mentioned a thing called the "squatty potty".. LOL at the name. It's essentially a stool that you put your feet on while in the throne. It is supposed to make things work better... Hmm? I suppose any little footstool would work? I may have to try this??? Thank all... Wish you all luck as well... :)

@@twinmomC With our high Protein - low Fiber way of eating now, you're going to have to use alternative methods if you want to be "pain & poo-free"! I also struggled in the beginning because I didn't want to become "laxative" dependent. Trust me, it wont be forever but the pain and strain can be. You know this first hand. Here's what I've been doing since week 3 and at almost 6 months post-op, I'm regular and pain-free EVERY single day! I take a half of a cap full of Clearlax (Walmart generic for Miralax) in my morning decafe coffee. Keep in mind, the more fiber you take in the more Water you have to drink to move it out. I also have a Squatty Potty. One of the BEST things I ever bought, so much so that I even took it with me on my 2 week vacation to the Florida Keys! That's how amazing it works. Bought it at Bed Bath and Beyond but you can order them online as well. This may not work for everyone but it has worked for me. This is actually the first time in my life I've been regular and it feels wonderful :D

post-236324-0-48319500-1444224159_thumb.jpg

post-236324-0-80739100-1444224174_thumb.jpg

I'm using the store brand of Miralax.

Clearlax. I use it about every 3rd day and it keeps things comfortable. Tasteless and I don't even know it's there.

I actually have an RX for Mirilax and it's cheaper I think. I took it "as need" pre-op for years. This is waaaay different as you have mentioned. I was JUST given the green light by my surgeon as we is now aware of my strain and pain. My youngest has a little footstool. Do you suppose it would work the same as the squatty potty? I have seen conversation about them. Isn't it just a little footstool? Thanks :))

I ❤️❤️ my squatty Potty!

Take a daily stool softener. It helps. U won't be dependent forever. It helps so you can pass something. Eventually you can stop it.