Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

At 6 months out - how much can you/should you eat?

Hello all.

I was sleeved on March 31, 2015, so I'm a little over 6 months out. I have received conflicting information from my weight management team and my surgeon team on how much we should eat at one meal. How much are you currently eating during a meal? Ounces of Protein, veggies, etc. I just want to make sure that I am NOT overeating....don't want to go down that road when it was a difficult one to get here.

Thanks!

Sorry - long. My 6 month + "rules":

Important Rules:

1. Eat only three small meals a day of 1/2 to a maximum of 1 cup food per meal. Some individuals may need an additional small meal or snack of Protein rich foods to meet their nutritional needs. There is no painless way to melt the pounds away. Total calories eaten must be less than your total calories expended in order to lose weight and maintain weight loss.

2. Stop eating as soon as you begin to feel full. Overeating may cause you to vomit or stretch your pouch and decrease the effectiveness of your surgery. Indications of fullness are:  A feeling of pressure or fullness in the center just below your rib cage.  A feeling of nausea.  Pain in your shoulder area or upper chest.

3. Eat slowly and chew food thoroughly. Chew each bit 20 to 30 times before swallowing to incorporate salvia and begin the digestion process. A meal should take 20 to 30 minutes to eat.

4. Do not eat between meals. Eat meals at regular times. Eat at the dining room or kitchen table.

5. Do not drink liquids 30 minutes before or during a meal. Wait 1 hour after a meal to start drinking.

6. Drink enough fluids during the day. Goal is 8-9 cups (64-72 ounces) minimum. Plan your Fluid intake. You may not always be able to drink when thirsty. Sip all beverages slowly.

7. Drink only low-calorie liquids. No carbonated beverages, sparking Water, beer, alcohol, tobacco and caffeinated beverages are allowed, as they will cause gaseous distention, pouch stretching, irritation, and nausea. No high-calorie drinks such as milkshakes, Cappuccino, cream based Soups, or fruit smoothies are allowed. These calorie dense liquids have poor nutritional value, lead to unsuccessful weight loss, and do not provide a feeling of fullness.

8. Eat only good quality food. Remember to start a meal with Proteins first. No high-calorie, low-nutrient foods such as cakes, Cookies, pies, candy, pastries, gravies, high-fat snack foods like chips, regular jellies & jams, honey, sugar, ice cream, etc. are allowed. Keep total fat intake below 30-40 grams per day. Read labels for fat and calorie content. No high fat meals such as salami, bologna, bacon, and sausage. They contain more fat and less high quality Protein. No fried foods.

9. Bake, broil, boil, grill, steam, or roast are ways to cook your food instead of frying to cut down on fat calories. BEWARE – you may have problems tolerating high-fat, greasy foods after surgery. Season foods with herbs and spices instead of creams, sauces, and fats. Marinate meats to tenderize, flavor and moisten.

10. Have a meal plan in mind when eating away from home. Beware of buffets and salad bars. Share a meal or ask for a “doggie bag”.

11. Prepare a shopping list and stick to it! Shop after you eat. Avoid your eating triggers.

12. Exercise at least 30 minutes each day. Walking is the best exercise. Exercise may be in small 5-10 minutes increments per day. Make exercise a part of your daily routine. Up to 60 minutes per day is best.

13. Keep a daily food and exercise diary. Record amount/type of foods eaten, length of time taken to eat and any triggers that cause over eating – boredom, angry, lonely, etc. Avoid excess TV and computer time.

Guide for Daily Eating Provides 1000 to 1400 calories and 50 to 60 grams of protein. Plan for about ½ cup of food at each meal, over time, no more than 1 cup.

meat & Bean Group (Protein): 4 to 6 ounces each day. Serving size 1 ounce equals 55-75 calories, 6-8 grams of protein. 1 ounce of lean meat, poultry, or fish, 1 egg, ¼ cup cooked very soft dry Beans. Eat 2 to 3 ounces at a meal.

Milk Group: 4 choices each day. Serving size ½ cup equals 40 to 50 calories, 4 grams of protein. Serving size ½ cup: Skim or 1% milk, sugar free yogurt, 1ounce 2% or Fat-Free natural cheese or processed cheese. Do not drink dairy fluids with a meal.

Vegetable Group: 1 to 1.5 cups each day. Serving size ½ cup equals 25 calories, 2 grams protein Includes fresh, frozen, canned and vegetable juices. Use caution with high Fiber vegetables like corn, peas, and celery, skins and seeds that may block the outlet.

Fruit Group: 1 cup each day. Serving size ½ cup equals 60 calories, 0 grams protein Includes fresh, frozen without sugar, canned without sugar, and 100% fruit juices. Chew fruit with skins, seeds, and membranes extra well, or peel, remove seeds and membranes, or cut into small pieces. Juices pass through your outlet without causing fullness. Try to limit 100% real juice to ½ cup or 4 ounces (diluted) a day as part of your liquids.

Grain Group: 3 to 4 ounces or equivalent each day. Serving size 1 ounce equals 80 calories, 1 to 3 grams protein. Includes all foods made from wheat, rice, oats, cornmeal, barley or rye such as bread, Pasta, cooked cereals, unsweetened Breakfast cereals, tortillas, and grits. 1 slice of bread, ½ bun, 1 cup ready-to-eat Cereal, or ½ cup cooked rice, Pasta or cooked Cereal can be considered as 1 ounce equivalent. Choose whole grains with at least 2 grams of Fiber per ounce. Note: some patients have difficulty eating bread or any doughy bread product. Try toasting whole grain bread, use whole grain crackers, pasta, and cereals. Try brown rice, chew well, and mix with a vegetable. Eat this group last and after protein, vegetable, and fruit groups at a meal.

Fat Group: 3 teaspoons. Serving size 1 teaspoon equals 45 calories, 0 grams protein. Include fats that are liquid at room temperature, such as olive, canola, corn, soybean, or sunflower oil. Some foods are naturally high in oils, like nuts, olives, some fish, and avocados. Limit intake of Mayonnaise, low fat salad dressings and soft margarines. A small amount from this group helps to lessen dryness of skin and hair.

Edited by TealSister

hi... what a great guide. Nice - you included all of my points.

I would like to give my opinion - I too am 6 months out and my doctor / NUT has given me different calories and food limits. Since I am still trying to lose right now, I still eat between 600-800 calories per day with the goal of 80 G Protein.

I really want to point you back to your surgery team for their recommendation. They know how big your pouch is and how best to maintain it.

During Months 5 and 6 I was averaging 1,000 calories/day and 75-80 grams of Protein.

In months 7 and 8 I ramped up to 1,200 calories/day on average with 85-95 grams of Protein (or thereabouts).

Everything worked out well for me. I hit my weight target of 150 pounds at 8.5 months post-op and have slowly lost another 10 pounds in the last 5 months while eating 1,700 calories/day on average as my maintenance calorie budget.

I will note that everybody's body doesn't need the same thing. You may have to experiment a bit to find out what macronutrients / calories you need to lose and to maintain easily. Best to you.

Thank you so much for the exhaustive guide - - love it! As you get more and more into this, you forget some of the "rules" that you learned at the beginning. I definitely need to be more strict with myself....but I think I'm eating the right amount at this time.