Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Those of you 1 month out, how do you feel now?

Surgery is tomorrow. I am sure I am going to feel like I've been hit by a truck. And then some. I am sure I'm going to ask myself why I've done this. So I'm looking for inspiration that it gets better so I can look at it and remind myself. One foot in front of the other. :-)

So yes, the one thing nobody told me was how horrible I would/could feel the first week after surgery. Day of Surgery and the day after were fine but the week after that was miserable. It wasn't so much the pain I felt because there really wasn't pain I just felt like the world was ending and there was nothing I could do about it. It had a lot to do with the hormone dump you get after surgery. Also trying to sip Water or anything really sucked. It was hard getting anything in and I got dehydrated and ended back in the hospital for 3 days.

Now - fast forward to day 9. I hit the turning point and started to feel a lot better. No more crying my eyes out. It was easier to drink fluids. I was feeling much better.

Now - fast forward to 1 month out. I feel really good. Not quite normal, but getting there. I am getting used to my little sleeve and how to figure things out.

Now - I'm at almost 7 weeks today and feel almost normal. Sometimes I have to keep reminding myself to drink 64oz every day. I have to remind myself to eat 3 times a day because I honestly forget. I am down 36lbs and my clothes are not too big but certainly loose. And I am so happy I made this decision. Knowing what I know now (that the first week was hell for me and I cried every day and regretted my decision) I would do it again in a heart beat.

Love my sleeve!!!

I am 3 weeks out from gastric bypass and I feel tired after my shower. One of my incisions is infected was hoping to return to work but Dr feels I should stay off another week. Managing to drink fluids and working on pureed stage. On the whole I feel on track I worry when trying new foods as have experienced early dumping bloated dizzy sweats think I eat too fast.

I'm 5 weeks out today. I think you read about a lot of people who have miserable recoveries, or loads of regret in the first few weeks. Keep in mind, that those people need a place to vent, so they come here. I think most people have a much better recovery, they just don't post about it (what's there to post? I'm two weeks post op. Feeling good. The end. LOL). If these boards were your only measuring stick, you wouldn't believe that the complications rate for this surgery are very low.

I've had a very smooth recovery. My surgeon had me on real food very early, so that helped (sometimes I think the misery in the first few weeks comes from the liquid diet. I would imagine it's mentally and physically tough). I have zero regrets. I still have minor muscle pain, but am otherwise back to normal- well, except for the 37 pounds I've shed along the way (including 2 wk pre-op diet).

It's good to have realistic expectations, that there may be pain, nausea, etc, but know that it may also be much easier than you expect. Try to remember the big picture, and know that the hard parts are such a tiny part of this whole journey. People on these boards may disagree on a lot of things, but the overwhelming majority are glad they had they had the surgery. You can't count the people who regret it in the period immediately post op, as that nearly always passes.

Follow your surgeon's instructions. Don't be afraid to take the pain medicine (that's what it's for!). Walk as soon as you can. Get your Water and Protein in. Rest, and let yourself heal. Some things are out of your control, but these are the things YOU can do to make your recovery as smooth as possible.

Good luck!!

~*~ Find me on YouTube: Trisha's Sleeve Story ~*~

For the most part, I feel really good, and while I'm not 100% myself yet it gets better every day. I was sleeved on 9/4 so it's been 31 days now.

I got a little nauseous with a headache after I went off the Hydrocodone and the PA said it was probably withdrawal (Yikes! withdrawal after only being on narcs for 7 days?!)

I do have some weird things that are now happening but are not necessarily bad. I used to be a big Water drinker, just plain and over 2 liters a day. Now I can't stand the taste of plain Water, it makes me a little nauseous, so I've been doing Crystal Light packs in my 32oz water bottle.

But other than that, it's been pretty good. I'm finally getting energy back and able to walk a lot longer, although not like pre-surgery yet. I'm on soft solids now and that's been great, just being able to chew again instead of liquids! I'm still doing at least 1 Protein shake to help my Protein intake, but am trying to slowly wean myself off of it.

The one annoying thing is I feel like I'm wasting food, but I think that has to do with balance and retraining my brain on how much to buy, which will come with time.

Good Luck!

I feel amazing honestly! A little frustrated that I'm at a stall and have been for a week or two but what can you do?? My biggest regret was listening to the people post about how miserable they would be after surgery.. I automatically thought "well if they were miserable I'm probably going to be miserable". No way! Of course you're sore for a week or so and need help standing up here and there but for the most part it was not nearly what it was cracked up to be. A week out I was attending my college classes and just taking naps in the afternoon! Within two weeks I felt back to my normal self, even better when I stepped on the scale and saw how much weight I lost! The hardest part for me was by the end of my liquid diet I was so ready for some real food! But of course time flew by and you'll be fine! Good luck to you!!

My surgery was 7/22/15

The day of surgery was the worst for me...regrets, crying etc...but I could not have anything...no Water, no candy, nothing in my mouth but a swab for the inside of my mouth. My nurse assured me it was the worst and she too was a sleev patient and I will feel better after my leak test the next day.

She was right...I have had no complications...no issues.

I have taken no pain meds since leaving the hospital. I went back to work the 6th days after surgery.

I would not change a thing...I have followed every instruction to the T.

I think everyone is different and people have different tolerances.

Thanks so much! Some great perspectives! I can look back on them if I need some inspiration!

I'm 1 month post op. I feel normal. However I lost my taste buds, anything I eat gives me a stomach ache. And the only thing I can really drink all day is ice t with a lot of ice. Water grosses me out. But hey I'm down 25 lbs so that ain't bad. :D

- I wish you a speedy recovery

I haven't even started this journey and I'm already emotional! I cried this evening thinking of the things I would be able to do with my family and how much better I will feel. I've thought about how I will finally get a good nights rest once the weight starts to go, I'm full of emotions but so ready to do this! I see my surgeon tomorrow and then the waiting process! 6 months is what my insurance company has me waiting.

So yes, the one thing nobody told me was how horrible I would/could feel the first week after surgery. Day of Surgery and the day after were fine but the week after that was miserable. It wasn't so much the pain I felt because there really wasn't pain I just felt like the world was ending and there was nothing I could do about it. It had a lot to do with the hormone dump you get after surgery. Also trying to sip Water or anything really sucked. It was hard getting anything in and I got dehydrated and ended back in the hospital for 3 days.

Now - fast forward to day 9. I hit the turning point and started to feel a lot better. No more crying my eyes out. It was easier to drink fluids. I was feeling much better.

Now - fast forward to 1 month out. I feel really good. Not quite normal, but getting there. I am getting used to my little sleeve and how to figure things out.

Now - I'm at almost 7 weeks today and feel almost normal. Sometimes I have to keep reminding myself to drink 64oz every day. I have to remind myself to eat 3 times a day because I honestly forget. I am down 36lbs and my clothes are not too big but certainly loose. And I am so happy I made this decision. Knowing what I know now (that the first week was hell for me and I cried every day and regretted my decision) I would do it again in a heart beat.

Love my sleeve!!!

I am so glad that you posted this because I am just trying to figure out when I will feel normal again. I am just 4 days out. I don't have much pain. My incision give me a little pain and every now and then I feel an aching in my stomach, but other then that I feel pretty good. But I am taking it easy because I am afraid of leaks etc. I can't really get much down at all. I am very excited about my future but I just want to feel normal and able to eat less.

I am only 2 weeks out but I can say each day gets a little better. Looking back it wasn't that bad. Now during that first week I was a mess I think it was hormones.

@@ThickFit504 Glad to hear you are on the losers bench! Just think, you are half way there to feeling much much better. Just a few more days to go, you can do it!! Walking really does help you heal quicker so don't be scared to take a walk :)

I am 2 weeks out and have good days and bad. Some days my stomach gets full fast and other days I have to take sip by sip. I am scared to move to puréed. I made some puréed chicken with Greek yogurt and it is in fridge. I need to get more 2 oz containers to freeze. Along with the ricotta bake. My scale is down but having PMS.

I'm two weeks out and feel great. Day of surgery very sleepy. Day two came home felt great. Never took any of my pain meds. Did take a few Levsin for cramping just starting some soft foods only can eat about two ounces at this time. Hardest part drinking all that Water.