Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I had my surgery on September 30th and I'm happy to say that things went relatively well. I only had three things I struggled with after surgery.

1. Immediately waking up I was miserable. They gave me everything they legally could and I still thought I was going to die for like 4 hours.

2. My heart rate. At "resting" it was at 115. When I wasn't feeling good it would get over 140. So they watched my heart really close. I think a lot of it was hospital anxiety. They finally got it to calm down with Valium at like 3 in the morning but by calm I mean 110.

3. Peeing. I know tmi but honestly it was the hardest part. My sips were fine. Swallowing was easy. But when it came to going to the bathroom I couldn't go. On surgery day I had to have a catheter because my bladder reached 800cc (catheter requirement is 500cc). I had the catheter over night and when they took it out the next morning I couldn't go on my own. Eventually my bladder got over 500cc again so they used a straight catheter. I didn't go on my own until late that night. THEN I got to go home. I still struggle now. I have to have Water running and use a wet cloth to get me to go. It's weird but it works. In the hospital they tried peppermint oils, showers, everything. It was so frustrating.

Now I'm home and I weighed myself. I've lost five pounds already which is odd. Not complaining but I was expecting a weight gain from fluids and swelling.

I struggle with Protein. Yogurt feels good in my pouch. The hardest part about being home is my family honestly.

All I hear is: walk faster, walk more, you don't need your pain pills, how's that baby food taste?, don't you wish you could have a pop tart.

They actually went grocery shopping specifically for junk food because they know I can't eat it and then ordered pizza. When I said something about it "I wasn't being compassionate" and "I knew what I was getting into"....

Mk so let's send an alcoholic to a 12 step program just for them to come home and be like "look at all the booze we bought".

I literally just cried. This whole process they were supportive saying we "are all making changes together" and I come home to this. I feel alone. I feel like it's not fair. I've worked really hard to change my life and I feel like I'm being punished because I chose wls.

can anyone else relate?

So sorry you came home to that! I can't imagine how frustrating that would be! I am sorry I don't have any advice for you. Just wanted to send sympathy & HUGS!

Sorry you have all these struggles, and that your family is being so monumentally insensitive and mean. The fact is, while they can be as supportive as possible, they will never truly know exactly what you're going through, exactly how hard you have worked to get here, and how much you are having to endure right now. The only solace I can offer is to tell you that it WILL get better. It will only get easier from here on out, physically. Emotionally... well, that's what we are all here for. No one understands the pain and struggles of an alcoholic the way another alcoholic does, and the same is true for us.

Right now, everything sucks and hurts and feels really difficult. But where you are now is a place you've worked so, so hard to get, and no one can take that away from you. People who have not experienced obesity and wls have NO idea just how hard the struggle is, just how much you've had to sacrifice in the name of your health and well-being. Soon, you'll be feeling as well as you did before surgery, and then you'll be feeling better than that, and then better than that...

We're here for you. Take care of yourself, take your pain meds when you need them, rest when you need to, stop walking and sit down when you are too tired or in too much pain to continue. This is not a race and pushing yourself because of the pressure your family is putting on you will only hurt you. Everything will be so, so much better soon.

Take care. :)

My heart is just breaking for you. My surgery was on the 28th and I too have been struggling and I am annoyed with my husband and the lack of empathy he has had but at least he isn't being a complete asshole on purpose.

Your family needs a serious slap to the face. I'm so sorry that they think it's okay to treat you like that. How is that helping you?

Try to stay positive and know you have made a huge, wonderful change.

Compassion is something some just do not have, I had my surgery on the 28th. it will get easier. Same with me on the yogurt though. I don't know if you like fresh lemon aid but that feels good on my stomach also.

As for your family, ignore them you have the will power to do this, you can accomplish it with support from others on here.

I'm really sorry to hear you're going through this. I'm a week ahead of you (surgery 9/21) and I would have been devastated to go home to that, especially after a tough time in the hospital.

Is there a friend or relative you could stay with for a while? If not, maybe spend time away from the family in your room with a book or Netflix?

Don't for a second doubt yourself. They're being unsupportive a-holes and you've done nothing wrong. You've taken the first very difficult steps to improving your health. Be extra vigilant so they don't derail you. And rest when you're tired and in pain! You just had major surgery, jeez.

Hang in there! We're rooting for you!