Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help I'm hungry!

Fifty six here, 8 days post op. 8 lbs down. I am hungry ???? I read that so many people are not hungry after the sleeve but I have tummy grumbling, empty feeling , need to eat hunger. Not " head hunger" . I'm having the hardest time sticking to strictly Protein Shakes. My doctor says three more weeks of this.

Are you sure it isn't gas or acid?

Are you on a PPI? It may at least partially be acid which can feel like hunger. Also are you saying you're on liquids for 8 weeks?

Liquids for two days prior and four weeks after. Hunger is mostly at night so maybe the PPI is wearing off and it's acid. I will try taking it later in the day and see what happens.

Edited by Linaka

I'm 5 weeks out and am also experiencing hunger. (51 here, btw.) It's the same for me - not head hunger. It's stomach rumbling, distracting hunger. I'm on prilosec 2X a day so I have a hard time believing it's acid.

I read someplace else that some people don't swell like others do. I tend to believe I'm experiencing this now because the swelling in my stomach is down and my body just hasn't gotten the memo yet that I'm just fine with only 20% of my stomach.

I'm also on insulin which makes me hungry. :( So I have to stick it out until the planets align, or I lose enough weight to get off insulin or my mind and stomach have a conversation and get on the same page.

CJ

I ended up with an irritated stomach this week. The doc put me back on liquids only for five days and the hunger went away completely. I'm drinking a lot more now obviously. I was having a hard time drinking enough.

My vote about hunger now is that I think I was actually thirsty. I think liquid shakes are a good idea now (I am not a fan but admit I feel better). I'm five weeks out.

I am 4 days post op. My mind still reacts positively when viewing food commercials but my abdomen (gas pains, bloating) says don't even think about it (lol)! Waited a long time to get the surgery (59) so I am not going to do anything to derail me. My advice is to continue to drink your liquids, if possible, attend a local support group too to share experiences and keep reminding yourself why we took this journey.l :)

I am 4 days post op. My mind still reacts positively when viewing food commercials but my abdomen (gas pains, bloating) says don't even think about it (lol)! Waited a long time to get the surgery (59) so I am not going to do anything to derail me. My advice is to continue to drink your liquids, if possible, attend a local support group too to share experiences and keep reminding yourself why we took this journey.l :)

i am 59 also and was worried I was too old to have surgery!! My date is the 30th - cant wait!!!

I'm 58, my surgery was 12/2/15. I was not hungry in the first few weeks, but I'm very hungry now! I can tell the difference between physical hunger and psychological hunger. I need to eat something every 2-3 hours. As soon as I have a piece of cheese, or spoonful of Peanut Butter, yogurt, etc., I feel so much better, and I can make it to my next meal. I feel like I never had surgery. I do not get very full, so I have to be careful not to eat too much. I usually weigh my Proteins. I don't go over 4 oz of Protein per meal. I do add in some veggies, but not much. No carbs. No fruits. Just proteins! I can't always get in my 64 oz of Water, (which I believe is too much, I like 56 oz). It's like I'm on a regular low-fat, low-calorie, no carb diet just like everybody else out there. Sweets do not bother me. So many people complain they vomit, or get upset stomachs. Nothing bothers me, unless I eat too fast, which I tend to do almost every day. I just can't seem to break that bad habit. Now I'm on a plateau for 3 weeks! I heard it's normal, but I don't like it, lol! I hope my weight lost starts up again, soon.

I had my gastric sleeve on the 9th Feb but I got a chest infection so all other meds I was off because of the antibiotics. I was like you all the time hungry.. Even in hospital I am over my chest infection and have started taking 40mg of nexium once a day and my hunger went away like magic! If you get reflux it makes you hungry Suggest you go back to the Doc and see what he says. I am almost 2 weeks post op and feeling great plus down 7.6 kg... So I am sticking to everything my Dic has told me ..

Sorry Doc! I meant to say ahaha

I am on a PPI and get hungry...but I can usually shut that demon up with sipping some hot tea with lemon.

I realize that my tummy interprets anything as satiating now so Protein Shake, tea, water....pretty much all the same.

So if I'm hungry when I should not be or between Protein Shakes I head for tea