Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 wks post rny and feeling like it's a mistake

I had rny on 9/21. The first few days were rough but at day 6 I felt great. I am off work and bored to the point of all I want to do is eat. I am on Protein and Clear Liquids but having a hard time getting protein down. Had a few saltine crackers (gave in to temptation) and now feel like this was all a waste.

Usually like Protein Shakes but these last 2 days have been really hard and I am bored and emotional.

Did I screw everything up by eating crackers?

Feeling like a failure

You're not a failure. This is just a time for a lesson. I ate popcorn early on because nothing else tasted, smelt, or sounded good. You might try sugar free pudding or Soup. Right now is the time to worry about Water and then focus on Protein. I had surgery on July 15th and am just now touching 60g/Protein. I'm not so great at this motivational stuff but it's just a few crackers then you shouldn't worry unless you make it a habit, try not to make it a habit stay on here so you can get support from loads of people who are going through and have gone through all of this. :hugs:

We all screw up at some point. You have to give yourself a break but use it as a lesson. Get back on the program and you'll be fine. The first few weeks are rough and all you think about is food. But I have to say, I am a year and a half out and I wish I was back at that stage! lol. I know, I'm weird! But now I think I could do it better. All I thought about was biting into food. Food that I didn't even normally have but sounded amazing. Just ride the wave of imagining it and don't give in. chicken broth really helped me because it actually had that savory flavor that I needed. It "tasted" like real food. And sugar free jello! I put that in my plain FF Greek yogurt or even in my FF cottage cheese to add flavor. Totally helped.

Just brush yourself off and get back on the program and you'll do great.

I think that you stated the root to your problem at the end of your post. You're bored and emotional. Unfortunately, rocky emotions are just part of all this, Hormones are rapidly changing with rapid weight loss and emotions are all over the place from the major changes in your life right now.

Boredom is as much of a problem as the emotional upheaval! You are accustom to being busy at work and now you are stuck at home. Try to find things to keep yourself occupied. Take a walk, (you need to start exercising anyway!) read a good book, organize something, (a closet, drawer etc) Just don't let yourself sit and brood about things. Keep your mind busy and it will help with the boredom. Which will help with temptations.

You are NOT a failure!!! And you haven't screwed anything!!! You've got this, I believe in you!! you're just in a low spot at the moment. Go make a Protein shake and sip along on it. Before you know it, you'll have it down, you'll feel better and you'll be back on track.

You know we're always here when you need us!

As everyone here has said, you just slipped a little. Guess what, you're human and we all slip every once in a while. What you need to do is to brush yourself off and recommit to following the diet for these early stages. It will get better; soon you will be able to eat pureed food, and then soft foods. At each stage things will get better.

One thing I might suggest is if you are not already seeing a therapist, go see one. Personally, this helps me out tremendously. Dealing with the underlying problems and habits that link boredom and stress with eating is key to success.

I really like the blog "The World According to Eggface" (http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/). She is very motivational. There is a story on her website that I found inspirational (http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2013/12/weight-loss-surgery-wisdom-from-friend.html). I suggest you read it. It is in the second half of the page, titled "There's no crying in baseball". It's kinda harsh, but totally true.

I'll paste it here so you don't have to follow the link:

THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL!!! By: Leilani Gibbs

That's the sentiment (scenario) that comes to mind sometimes when I hear some of the comments from people who've already had the surgery. In case you haven't made the connection, that's a line Tom Hanks made famous in the movie "A League Of Their Own." Resorting to tears or just giving up every time the going gets tough. Or your sick of taking Vitamins, getting in Protein is hard, Water doesn't taste good, etc. That kinda' thinking is NOT going to make you successful or keep you healthy. ENOUGH already! It's time to LOVE yourself enough to get "TOUGH" with your aftercare. Your long term health is worth it!! Success comes with a backbone, NOT a wishbone!

First and foremost, you have to keep it POSITIVE. As with everything in life, if you think you can't - you WON'T! Simple enough? I have to wonder when "we" (as adults) finally take ownership for our actions, our life and our health? We have been given a gift, a second chance to actually LIVE life again instead of merely existing on the sidelines. It's up to each of us to do that as healthy and productively as possible.

We're ALL statistics waiting to happen and the insurance companies are chomping at the bit. The bean counters are eager to drop Weight Loss Surgery ("WLS") from the policies; some already have. Don't you know that any negative feedback thrown into the mix only strengthens their cause? I may not be able to control every thing that happens to my body after WLS, but most things I can.

I CHOOSE to take control and I will be a positive statistic when the numbers get counted.We live in a spoiled society, expecting everything in life to come with a buncha really cool choices. Well, guess what? When it comes to your health, you're not always going to get a choice. You either DO IT and stay healthy, or you DON'T and your body pays the price.

The way I saw it, I had a 90 day healing and adjusting period after surgery. My 'super morbidly obese' body had more than enough stores to survive the learning curve. In turn, it gave me plenty of time to heal, adjust and learn. For those of you OVER 90 days Post-Op, the probation period is over - its time to get serious and LIVE what you've learned.

* You say you can't get in enough liquids throughout the day, don't like the taste of Water, or just keep forgetting? -- TOUGH! It's not an option anymore. Find a way to do it, get suggestions and tips from others in support groups, message boards, etc. Read, learn and JUST DO IT!! Why do you think there is a choice here?

* You say you don't like the big horse pill type Vitamins, or the tart chalky chewables? ... it's just too many to bother with? Or maybe you just can't remember to take them? -- TOUGH! You gave up the option NOT to take vitamins when you agreed to have your insides rerouted. FIND a way to get them in; crushed, minced, chopped, liquified, in a shake, etc. No exceptions, your health depends on it.

* Protein is a must. So you can't get it all in via foods and you don't like the way the shakes taste? -- TOUGH! Either get it through your meals (and there are a gazillion food choices out there) or supplement it with Protein Shakes and bars. Trust me, I don't drink my Protein Shake every morning because I think it tastes like a chocolate blizzard from Dairy Queen. I've tried many varieties over the last 2 years. I'd even venture to say 25 of the top sellers/flavors have crossed my lips. For the record? I've yet to find one that is as 'delicious' as boasted by the distributor. So what. I still drink one every morning. My HEALTH dictates that I need "X" grams of protein per day. If I'm not getting enough from my meals then I supplement a shake. 'Nuff said.

This surgery is a gift, I owe it to me and everyone else fighting the approval process, to do it right! I will continue to choke down my vitamins, my water and my protein every single day, for the REST OF MY LIFE. Some days will be easier than others, regardless, no days will be missed. It's all about discipline. Create a routine, set a timer, develop a pattern, tie a string around your finger, glue a note on your forehead, whatever it takes. You're an adult - take responsibility! If this surgery doesn't slap a back bone into you, not much will.

It wasn't a mistake, it was a great empowering step you took for yourself and your health. Don't beat yourself up for a couple of crackers. Now just think...I bet pre surgery you would have eaten the whole sleeve, or close to it, right? look at it that way, how many fewer you ate.

I am two days behind you, I had my surgery on 9/23. I agree it's super hard to live on this stuff, and I have another week to go. We have pizza night every Friday, and I literally had to go sit in my bedroom until everyone is done eating. I know I would be super sick if I ate pizza, but that does not prevent me from wanting it.

it's all about the head in this. The place where I had my surgery done has support groups, and I am going to join one of those, and then see about therapy to help with the head hunger. Your mind is bored with all the liquid stuff, your stomach couldn't care less.

But I would just get back on the wagon, try to quit feeling so guilty and keep moving forward. It's a journey for the rest of your life, and this one tiny thing is not going to define the whole thing for you.

I know it's been said already by others but repetition and validation are key here. YOU HAVE NOT SCREWED EVERYTHING UP. just a small slip. It's normal. We aren't robots. My surgeon even said at the group information meeting that everyone will cheat at some point... ( he was referencing that after the cheating we would experience dumping and never ever want to cheat again) cheating happens but it doesn't define you or your journey. You already lost such a great amount of weight! You aren't alone in wondering if surgery was a mistake... ive heard of alot of people who've freaked out and "Regretted" it at some point.... part of the reason for that was ....rapid weight loss was wreaking havoc on their moods. happy sad anxious mad.... it was like PMS on steroids. the other part was that surgery took away their control. the surgery kind of forces us to change.... no take backs. who wouldn't resent that at times?? I believe in you. I also believe this is just a rough patch and that you're going to be so much happier soon. not to mention healthier. Thanks for posting!!!!

GodBless.

<3

Thank you all for your support. I truly appreciate your support. I have my post op appt in 2 days and am so looking forward to being able to intake something more than Protein Shakes and clear liquids. Thank you all again

I think it's normal to feel this way. I had the sleeve on 9/4 and I find myself regretting it daily, but that's becoming I'm having a lot of complications and I just assumed I would be in the group that has no issues. But these forums truly help a lot! I get on here daily and read through posts like these to maintain my own sanity. Everyone says it gets better...I'm waiting for that part as well. Every week I have to go back to week 2 because I have bad nausea and vomitting. Talk about emotional...I was down right depressed! I honestly never felt depressed as a fat person, I just wanted to loose weight so I have more energy to keep up with my kid. But as some have mentioned, this process exposes a lot of deep rooted issues. Personal challenges, friendships, family support, work environment...it truly makes you rethink everything around you, hence why it's a life change. I believe it will get better. I suppose I had "complications" when I was ok with being fat that I didn't want to be honest about...like only being able to shop certain places, not being able to fit in rides with my kid, spending so much money on food...all sorts of madness that we just learn to deal with. But I believe it will get better, just hang in there! You're not alone ????