Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't Figure This All Out…Need Help!

Pardon the length, but, Y'all…I cannot seem to figure this out and get in the groove of things. Ugh!! I have lost 24 lbs in less than a month. I am pleased with that; however, I have been in the ER two times this week. The first time, I was deficient in magnesium, potassium, electrolytes, and Calcium. They fixed me up and sent me home. The second time, my blood work came back normal, but I felt..and still feel…completely exhausted and nauseated. My sister found the sleeve support online and suggested I visit to gain support myself. I am soooo hopeful that you all can help me! I am 3 weeks post op...

Here is my cycle:

- Wake up early to get kids off to school. Vacillate between drinking and eating…not sure which to do first. Finally decide to do whichever I need more at the time.

- Wait the obligatory minutes between eating and drinking, while not being satisfied with the first decision I made….usually nauseated so I don't eat much. (Drinking is 2-3 oz. at a time, and eating is 3-4 spoonfuls at a time.)

- sleep to regain my energy level. This means I miss out on precious time needed to hydrate myself.

- Get up and try to eat because I know my body needs it. Eat only a few bites. Nauseated. Not hungry.

- Try to drink a bit after waiting for some time. All the while, I question if I'm drinking enough. Grab Pedialyte and drink up.

- Feel totally weak.

- Go back to bed wondering when I'll strike the balance and this will become less of a job/effort.

- Lose my desire to eat and drink.

It's the middle of the night right now. I am up..wide awake…because the hunger pains are sooooo strong. So, I am up drinking a Protein, low cal drink and here comes the nausea. Zofran isn't my friend as it's not doing the job. Pushing through and drinking it anyway..but, man...

Surgeon's office is overbooked, and they cannot see me for a week. They say it's just weakness and, therefore, I must wait. They contribute the weakness to the weight loss, which I understand. Nutritionist isn't available to ensure that I am on the right track. So, I am seeing my primary doctor tomorrow. Hoping I can get in with the nutritionist in that office. (I love my surgeon…this isn't a slam on him or his office…)

Any advice or eating/drinking schedule recommendations are incredibly welcome. Thank you so much!

Whew, that's a lot to have to go through soon after surgery. Did your doctor give you a list of the things you should be eating and a listing of the different Protein drinks you should try taking sown? Also this is something you may have gotten from your nutritionist. In the beginning it is hard to take in liquids but ever so helpful when you do. Are yo trying to get a few steps in per day as I know its not that easy with low energy. (sorry) And your Vitamin intake is just as important especially the multi (I found that out as I was going through being light headed and dizzy. After I got on a regular daily regimen it tool that feeling away immediately). Also you may want to drink your Protein first to give you a boost. Two that I enjoyed in the beginning is Premium Protein and Atkins.

I am glad that yo took a further step until you can see your surgeon and NUT by making an appointment with your PC. This is just a little of what I have done and some of my experience. Hopefully others will respond and share as well. I do wish you plenty of luck and will look back and forth in this section to read what others have to share. Good luck on this journey.

Edited by Applebootom9

I wish I had advice but I'm a little overwhelmed too and my surgery isn't for another 7 weeks.

I guess just listen to your body. It knows what it wants. Are you taking Vitamins and supplements?

Edited by Tssiemer1

I'm sorry you are going through this.

Are you taking your supplements on schedule? B12, Calcium, Iron, Vitamins and etc ???

Try starting your day with a Protein Shake. That helped me a lot at that stage. Make sure you get you fluids in. I find room temp Water easier to drink. I was completely exhausted from 3 weeks out until around 6 weeks. I think this is normal. And also usually when the weight loss has a stall. It will get better! Just keep working on finding what works best for you.

Are you taking an acid reducer? If not, It is very very common to take Prilosec for the first 3-6 months after surgery. Too much stomach acid can cause nausea, rumbling, hunger feelings... without actually causing GERD. It can be especially problematic while eating and right after. You can get generic Omeprazole over the counter, it certainly wont hurt and might help.

Like others have said it is probably good to start off with a Protein drink... it will provide nutrition for energy and get some fluids in at the same time. Some people do better with room temp drinks, and some do better with ice cold, so it might be good to experiment there. Carry a glass or bottle of whatever around and sip on it continuously. At this stage Protein and fluids are more important than meals in regaining your energy.

Hope your doc or nut have a solid solution to get you feeling better.

You might just be one that is slower to heal and get going. My doc had me on Clear Liquids for 2 weeks and then full liquids for 2 weeks then pureed for 2 weeks. I am on regular food now and have not had an issue at all. I would recommend going back down to liquids. Clear except for your Protein shakes. If your Protein Shakes make you nauseated here is a little concoction that I came up with:

8oz of Isopure Zero Carb ready made (they are in the glass bottles)

8oz of the same flavor Powerade Zero

8oz of Water

Mix it all together and sip it. It gives you 13 grams of Protein and your liquid intake at the same time.

Don't feel bad about being tired. I was tired all the time until.... well I still sorta am. It gets better though. I remember in the beginning I was so scared to nap during the day because as you stated you lose precious hydration time. This will get better too. Try backing off of the food for a while and see if that helps the nausea. Right now all you need is the liquids and some protein.

OMGosh. I so appreciate all the input!! I returned to bed in the night having had two low cal Protein drinks and still hungry and nauseated. Two hours later I've awakened still hungry. I never eat/drink this much. think that's how nutritionally I've become. Yikes!! I do NOT want to go back to the hospital!!

Okay...here's my new plan thanks to you all...
- I love the idea of more Protein Drinks right now. Think I need them. Gonna do that.
- Vitamins and supplements. I start my day with them. I forget my second calcium/vitamin D3 one at night. I will make this a priority - to get them in at night, too.
- Acid Reducer. Ah Ha! I was given a prescription and stopped taking it. I believe I will take these regularly again.

- Gonna send awesome hubby/caretaker out to get the Isopure ingredients to try that. :)
- I will start walking again once I feel confident in my steps. I don't want to be stuck dragging even a block from home. Thank you for that!!

I welcome any other ideas. I think this is a good start to get me over this hump. Still don't regret the sleeve one iota!! Going to pop open another Protein Drink and the medicine/vitamin bottles right away. Thank you!!

Edited by ItsTheNewMe

I'd say make a schedule.

1.) Make sure you are getting in ALL your Vitamins & supplements. (Remember Iron & Calcium need to be taken at least 2 hours apart)

2) Start the day with Protein shake. DO NOT RUSH so you can get kids off. Sip slowly.

3) The night time stomach "rumbles" sound like acid. I agree with others you could probably use a PPI like omeprazole (Prilosec). Start with 20mg maybe 2 x's a day.

4.) If after a week of taking the PPI, the nausea med is not working ask your doctor about increasing the dosage or trying a stronger med.

Some fatigue is perfectly normal in the early post op days, however being dehydrated and not getting your Protein in can exacerbate that. Weight loss can also be stalled by inadequate nutrition & rest. Stay off the scale for a bit. Perhaps try only getting weighed at the doctor's for the first 3 months. Focus solely on eating well and healing.

You might just be one that is slower to heal and get going. My doc had me on Clear Liquids for 2 weeks and then full liquids for 2 weeks then pureed for 2 weeks. I am on regular food now and have not had an issue at all. I would recommend going back down to liquids. Clear except for your Protein shakes. If your Protein Shakes make you nauseated here is a little concoction that I came up with:

8oz of Isopure Zero Carb ready made (they are in the glass bottles)

8oz of the same flavor Powerade Zero

8oz of Water

Mix it all together and sip it. It gives you 13 grams of Protein and your liquid intake at the same time.

Don't feel bad about being tired. I was tired all the time until.... well I still sorta am. It gets better though. I remember in the beginning I was so scared to nap during the day because as you stated you lose precious hydration time. This will get better too. Try backing off of the food for a while and see if that helps the nausea. Right now all you need is the liquids and some protein.

This is actually a pretty smart concoction. You're also getting a small electrolyte boost from the Powerade.< /p>

So sorry you are having such trouble! I promise it does get easier. I just wanted to tell you that my Dr said Zofran doesn't work if you are dehydrated. You don't want tobdrink because you're nauseated though and it becomes a vicious cycle. (Been there. Done that). Call your surgeon and ask if they will prescribe either Phenegran cream which you use on your wrist or a patch that goes behind your ear (I can't remember the name). That will help. Also if you are not taking acid reducer, you definitely need to. You will need to take these long term. Best wishes! Hope you have a better weekend!

Follow your surgeon's/NUT recommendations but a few comments from my end (I am 4 years post op)

Staying hydrated will help keep you from feeling awful. I found that Vitamins made me not want to eat, so I had to experiment around with timing and type of Vitamins. Vitamins are really really important, but fluids are more important these early weeks. Those early months I spent lots of $$$ on liquid versions because pills sat in my tummy like a rock. That got better over time though..

My suggestion to help with fluids is try herbal teas (not really tea so allowed) served warm or even cold - depending on what you prefer. I found that herbal tea, served warm really soothed the tummy AND helped me get fluids in.

I cannot emphasize enough, if your acid is not under contol, you will feel awful, in a weird gnawing kind of way. Some people experience it as hunger, some people experience it as just awful. I took proselec the first 2-3 months post op and haven't needed it since.

First few months were unpleasant, to some extent you have to kinda roll with it.

The mental aspect of this is to try to not let it "get to you" and make it worse by getting anxious or overly worried. When I focus on my misery, i seem to have more misery. :)

That in no way diminishes your concerns, you SHOULD be seen by your surgeon and make sure there is no problem, but i encourage you to focus on why you did this, visualize success, visualize being trimmer, healthier, more energy etc... because eventually you will get there.

Follow your surgeon's/NUT recommendations but a few comments from my end (I am 4 years post op)

Staying hydrated will help keep you from feeling awful. I found that Vitamins made me not want to eat, so I had to experiment around with timing and type of Vitamins. Vitamins are really really important, but fluids are more important these early weeks. Those early months I spent lots of $$$ on liquid versions because pills sat in my tummy like a rock. That got better over time though..

My suggestion to help with fluids is try herbal teas (not really tea so allowed) served warm or even cold - depending on what you prefer. I found that herbal tea, served warm really soothed the tummy AND helped me get fluids in.

I cannot emphasize enough, if your acid is not under contol, you will feel awful, in a weird gnawing kind of way. Some people experience it as hunger, some people experience it as just awful. I took proselec the first 2-3 months post op and haven't needed it since.

First few months were unpleasant, to some extent you have to kinda roll with it.

The mental aspect of this is to try to not let it "get to you" and make it worse by getting anxious or overly worried. When I focus on my misery, i seem to have more misery. :)

That in no way diminishes your concerns, you SHOULD be seen by your surgeon and make sure there is no problem, but i encourage you to focus on why you did this, visualize success, visualize being trimmer, healthier, more energy etc... because eventually you will get there.

First..I noticed that you are a revision patient. Me Too!! Lapband put in Sept. 2006. WORST mistake eva!! Believe you me, My eyes are on this prize. I am forever grateful that the sleeve is NOTHING close to the daily struggles I had with the lap band.

I am incredibly positive and excited to be on the road to better health, attractive, and a great role model for my daughter and her health!! So…you are right. A great attitude is soooo imperative. I just have to get some traction after these past few days. :))) Thank you soooo much!! :) Warm herbal tea. Yum!

@@ItsTheNewMe Yes I was a revision. Banded in 2001 at 272, never got under 200#. About 18-24 months post op I had to have all Fluid removed due to intolerable reflux and vomiting and i began the regain train.

My highest weight (recorded) was about 2005 when I weighed 332 at weight watchers. I lost 85# add hung out in the 240-260 range for many years.

I got pretty depressed after my sister died and my weight shot up into the upper 200s ... i would diet like made and lose 30, but then would regain 40.... you know the story.

When my band was removed I weighed "about" 300#. The day I started my sleeve preop diet I was 308# and is my official start weight in Dec 2011

I went on to lose 150# in 14 months post sleeve and have been maintaining in the ballpark of my goal ever since.

I learned alot of lessons along the way. The band failed me, but i also didn't really know how to eat correctly to be successful at this whole thing. I have really taken to heart the knowledge that the WLS tool was critical to my success (I could not lose massive weight presleeve) but my own choices behavior are at least 75% of the credit/winning the battle.

I am quite sure you will do great, it is just a hard time those early weeks/months. I didn't feel good until about 12 weeks post sleeve... i wasnt in misery that whole time, but I didn't feel good.

Sorry you are going through this., but it will get better. My DOC told me right after surgery that what mattered in the early days was Protein and liquids. One tip he gave me was to try low fat/low sodium broths. My nutritionist suggested that half of me liquids be broths and the other half could be Water, teas, etc. The warm broths went down really well and soothed my stomach. I learned from trial and error to take my time sipping things and to work through the clear liquid to more solid liquids to soft foods transition at my own pace. It's not a race and taking things slow, and transitioning when you are comfortable is far and away the best path.