Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Keep Cheating On 6 Week Pre-Op Diet!

So I'm at the end of my third week, and I keep cheating!! I just finished 2 kfc meals and feel horrible I have lost 7 kgs since I started currently weighing in at 167 was 174! My gastric sleeve is in 3 weeks and I'm kind of nervous do y'all think I have a chance if I keep my head down for the next 3 weeks and stick to the diet that I could pass?!? Support appreciated thank you!!

What other choice do you have but to follow your pre-op diet? My surgeon made it very clear that if my liver was too big, he would close up the incisions and not do the surgery. Do you really want to risk that, or worse by not following your surgeon's instructions?

It's not only that you risk getting your surgery cancelled, but I assure you that not training yourself for life after surgery with the liver shrinking diet is blowing a golden opportunity. It really does serve a dual purpose. If you weren't told to do Clear Liquids, I would say do them anyway, because that's truly the way to prepare and jump-start weight loss. I wish you well.

You know that you must do this, so why sabotage yourself? Put on your big girl panties and stick with your pre-op plan. You can do this!

That's what I'm asking, is 3 weeks with no cheating enough to shrink my liver in time or should I ask my surgeon to push the date back, and 6 weeks is a long time if I could of stuck to a diet for longer then six weeks prior to this i would of. I'm not justifying cheating just don't think it's realistic for an obese person to be on an all liquid diet for 6 weeks #pityparty.

My pre op liquid diet was 2 weeks but you have to do it ..The first 3 days will be hard then it get easier .But if you cant get thru it there will be a chance you wont be as succesuful as you wont ..This is just the beginning ..Focus on the big picture your health and your new self ..

Go out and buy ..The Beck Diet Solution by Judith Beck ..This will give you the willpower you need ....

My surgeon's requirement was for two weeks on the pre-op diet, with only Clear Liquids the day prior to surgery. It seems many surgeon's pre-op requirements vary, it would be best to consult with your surgeon.

Thanks guys, yeah my willpower is a bit haywire at the moment, it seams to be a pattern I stick to the diet for 5 to 6 days and then binge eat and end up feeling like a criminal, I want this surgery so bad I've been waiting 3 years for it, but I never could of comprehend the actual mental/emotional attachment I do have to food, it's sickening I just can't wait to live again!

My surgeon also warned me that if my liver was too big he would close up and not perform surgery. While I didn't have a specific pre-op diet, I went super lean in my eating. I focused on increasing my Protein and eating veg. I think you need to reexamine it you are ready for this. It's as much a mental change as it is a physical one. I know the pre-op diets are challenging, but it's the choices you are making when you cheat that concern me. Slipping and eating 2 KFC meals is a big red flag to me. I understand those who cheat and maybe eat a chicken wing or a burger but 2 KFC meals is concerning. If you think 6 weeks all liquids is to hard, why not call them and see if you can adapt it? How about all liquids for Breakfast, lunch and snack then having a sensible dinner of veg/salad and lean protein? While you are speaking with them find out what your post op diet will be like. This is important because if you cheat post-op it can be both dangerous and uncomfortable as well as sabotage your new eating habits.

I think you can still do it but you MUST have the will power not to stray from your pre-op diet..... If you can't do this then your will fail once you've been sleeved....

I think "will power" is a fiction myself.

Do you have a therapist you can talk to? Have you talked to your NUT? about your struggles? You need to try to come up with some practical strategies that will help you stick to your plan.

Some ideas:

-Read and participate on this site.

-Write and journal about why you want this surgery.

-Consider joining a bariatric support group and/or 12-step group like OA.

-Take a walk.

-Find something to do with your hands (knit, color, paint your nails, pull weeds, clean the toilet).

-Take a bath or shower.

-Call a friend.

-Do housework (I know I am in bad shape when I have to resort to this one!)

-Don't go to KFC.

I am sure others have more suggestions.

You have to plan to follow your plan and not just rely on "will power".

As my NUT kept reminding us, the pre-op diet isn't forever. It will end.

You need to call your Surgeon and tell him what is going on because if there are any surprises on surgery day those can be life threatening

Pre-surgery, I did a four week, all liquid diet..

Even after that, on the day of the surgery, the surgeon told me that there was no guarantee he'd be able to do the surgery...

Fortunately, he was able to complete the sleeve and it's been great since...

But there was no way that I was gonna do anything that was against what my surgeon had instructed...

There was no way I'd be doing ANYTHING that would decrease the chances of this surgery happening...

Yes, the 2/4/6/whatever week pre-surgery diet does suck balls...

But hey, if you don't want to do it, you don't gotta...

It's YOUR choice...

Just like you chose to eat KFC...

Now, I reckon that you're probably gonna be ok...

But not if you're gonna make shitty choices again...

Just remember, these surgeons know their stuff...

And, as mentioned by others, any surprises on the day could be the end of everything...

So my opinion is as follows...

Suck it up and get your shit together...

It's a few weeks of discomfort that will result in you having a 'rest of your life'...

Good luck with it all..

Keep us posted..

Kinda..

At 3 years post op, you need to realise now, that if one doesn't take control of their bad habits of eating now, you won't be sucessful.

I've seen people only lose a few pounds right after surgery. Because they went back to eating unhealthy, for whatever reason.

I've also seen some that have lost over 100 pounds, but then further out, they get back into the same habits and gain all their weight back again.

WLS is such a great gift. But it isn't fool proof. It needs our help too.

Again, one doesn't change their habits, it won't work in the long run....

Betty