Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

questions about band to bypass revision

I've been suffering from complications with my band for years. I finally got the nerve to go back and see my doc (after long term vomiting, reflux, pain, weight gain), and she and my surgeon suggested a revision to bypass. Has anyone done this? What have your results been like? How does eating differ? Worried that I may fail with bypass the same way as I did with the band.

I have so many questions, and while the forums I've seen have been very helpful I'm seeking more specifics! Thank you : )

Sorry have nothing to offer just curious to see replies. Went through similar and am currently at the end of the process about to sign consent for surgery from band to bypass. Good luck to you!

Don't have any answers yet... but I go in for band to bypass revision this Saturday... I also had tons of issues with my 8 year old lapband... I did have a good 90lb weight loss but after my pregnancy it slipped and landed me in the ER not able to swallow even spit for 5 days... lived off an IV pretty much... not fun. From what I've read the band to bypass revision people have said bypass is 100% better, you feel full, no GERD, no puking... Im very excited!

Thank you guys for getting back to me!! Good luck to both of you... maybe we could update each other with info/stats/etc? :)

Sounds good to me @@bandedat19 i signed consent, got all my paperwork, appts for pretesting set up now just awaiting the passage of time. Sigh. My surgery date is 11/16 but if an earlier date pops up due to cancelations I'm in there.

I am a 14 year lap bander...miserable...going full forward with bypass...not even considering the sleeve...I did and finally decided to give with the gold standard...:-)

Same situation here! My surgeon just submitted to insurance (BCBSNC) yesterday - so we'll see what happens. I'm very nervous I'll be denied.. I've read a lot of stories of people getting denied for a revision unless there's serious complications?? :(

I'm band to bypass and it was the best decision ever! I'm only about 7 weeks post op and I haven't vomited once. It's weird! No regrets. Best of luck!

I have lots of comorbidies but who knows....

Insurance companies are unpredictable.

@@phatfatgirl how are you doing!? my surgery date is 12/21

@@phatfatgirl how are you doing!? my surgery date is 12/21

Hi there! I'm OK. Not bad at all. If i don't drink enough i feel dizzy, lightheaded and faint so I'm trying everyday to get that Fluid in. Still struggling to get Protein in but i just purchased some Protein Shots so hopefully it helps. Thanks for asking! ☺ what are you doing to prepare? When do u start your pre op diet?

What are Protein shots?i start my fast on December 14.I am researching Vitamins..preparing.Trying not to stress out.Hoping to get a definitive confirmation from my insurance.My surgery date is Dec 28 tentatively.

Can you drink a full glass of Water at once?Any pain?

I can drink but not a full glass at a time. Maybe a couple of gulps. I don't take many big ones. I quickly get full. Google Protein Shots it'll pop up. Good luck to you on your surgery date, i know that stress well but you can realize all that worry was for naught. No worries and just keep researching and prepping.

I'm not revising to anything (I have to get my band removed, but won't be moving forward with another WLS) but I will share with you what an expert bariatric surgeon told me about the bypass after band.

The bypass is the ONLY revision surgery that should be done after a [failed] lapband, and the reason for this is that it is the only WLS that not only offers restriction, but also works on the feedback loop from stomach to brain. Your appetite and food choices will be completely different after the bypass.

This is not true with the sleeve, which is merely restrictive, much like the band. (Band to sleevers, please don't jump on me for this statement. I know there are many of you out there that have had tremendous success with your revision surgery. ) This surgeon explained that if someone did not have success with a band, that same person would not have success with a sleeve.

She stated is was not ethical for a surgeon to revise a bandster to a sleeve, knowing that that same patient would eventually be back for a bypass.

FWIW, your decision to revise to a bypass is, according to this surgeon, the best way to move forward, as you will be altering not only how much you can eat, but what and why you eat. The bypass will effectively turn you into eating like a naturally-thin person, and for life. (Not just the "one sweet year" other WLS give you.)

Parisshel,

I blame myself for going with the "hottest new thing back in 2004"The lapband is what the sleeve is today.I was going to revise to the sleeve until I did my research.I am revising to the bypass because there cannot be a 3rd operation.I must use the best tool to help me conquer my struggle.It is a matter of life or death with me.This new surgeon asked me what I wanted ...why not the sleeve??I told him and he he nodded in agreement.?.if I had wanted to get the sleeve he would of been more than happy!

This band is just the worse.They should stop this procedure entirely.