Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food Funeral, Last Meals?

My surgery date is November 16th so I have a good amount of time before I start the pre-op liquid diet, but I was just curious to see if any one had a food funeral or what their "last meals" were?

I don't know if it's just nerves, but I feel like I'm going to be missing out on so much because my relationship with food is going to be changing. For instance, I told my mom I wanted to fly to New Orleans to have beignets...or that I wanted to fly to California to try In and Out Burger for the first time. But I guess my other real question is the food that you gave up are you still able to have it in moderation? For the veteran sleevers are there foods that you could have years down the road vs one year post-op?

I had food funerals so far for Wendy's and a dinner in my old college town called Ramsey's. I didn't even all the food and felt gross and sick after. I'm on a pre pre op diet of eating 4 ounces of good Protein and shakes and bars very 3 hours. I was doing that for about 2 weeks when I had my first food funeral at Wendy's. It was gross. Ramsey's was a little better. I already gave up soda and other surgery drinks, Pasta and bread. Which is hard because the only thing my husband can cook is spaghetti with frozen garlic bread lol.

I see some on here post about the food binges they go on saying goodbye to foods they won't ever have again. I guess my question would be why would you want to have those foods? At this point you have made a decision to get healthy. Those foods have made you very unhealthy.

For me, after surgery, I don't even want those foods. Before surgery I made my mind up that those foods were not good for my health and I always felt miserable after eating them. I felt bloated and sick, overfull and like a slug. My weight climbed as high as 350 pounds and that was definitely unattractive. My clothes didn't fit and I had difficulty finding ones that did.

Take this time instead to begin eating healthy and committing to this new lifestyle. Find things that are fresh, taste good and fulfill yourself in other ways other than food. Start a journal about your feelings and figure out why food filled that space.

Just my two cents, I am definitely not a veteran yet and I have a way to go to get to my goal. I just figured the more I ost before surgery, the closer I was to my goal after surgery.

Good luck to you whatever you decide!

I just apparently had a food funeral for milk. I've been drinking soy milk and other fake milks for a few weeks and I had regular milk early this morning and have had awful stomach cramps and diarrhea, and sweats. It was in the middle of Kroger too. :-/

I remember feeling that way, too. Although I was still following a high Protein, low carb diet pre op, I wanted a craft beer before surgery. So we went to dinner, I had a nice steak, loaded baked potato and an amazing craft beer.

Now going on my 14th month post surgery, I could have a beer if I wanted. But I choose not to because of too many carbs and bubbles. It's not like you won't ever be able to have your favorite foods again. It's the fact that hopefully you will choose NOT to because you're dedicated to the surgery and changing your lifestyle in order to lose the weight and KEEP it off.

By the way, I recently was in Reno and saw an In and Out Burger. That used to be a big treat for us, too, as we don't have one in our state. I didn't even consider it. It just didn't sound appealing anymore.

I also lost a pound and a half while I was in Reno ;) UNHEARD of before surgery!

Greetings:

First, congratulations on the beginning of your new journey. Surgery changed my life and has made such an impact on my life. In terms of food, you will be able to eat some of the same things you used to have, but you will have to remember to do a few things.

-First, moderation and smart decisions are key. You will only be able to eat small amounts of food once you are on your forever diet after your regimented diet after surgery.

-Second, you can have a burger, but eat it without the bun, and order a kids burger. You should be able to get a card from your surgeon's office that allows you to order off a kids menu. Don't order fries, instead, order steamed broccoli or fruit. You must remember to eat your Protein first! When I go into a restaurant, I order off a kids menu and usually get the sides boxed to go so I don't even have them on my plate, and the same with Soup and/or salad, if I order off the full menu. For example, we went to Chilis the other day, and I ordered a salad and it came with Soup and I had the soup boxed to go.

-Third, make smart decisions. Same rule as the first. If you don't make such a smart decision, your body will tell you so and most likely you will throw up. That will be a natural social consequence that you will learn from---We all have gone through it.

-Fourth, when you feel it in your body that you can't eat any more, STOP!!!! Your body will tell you.

-Fifth - YOU WILL DO GREAT!!!!!!

Be committed and stay committed and you'll do great.

Hope this helps.

Mike

I haven't had my surgery yet but I told my husband that for my last meal before the liquid diet I wanted all you can eat sushi apparently there is a local place near us with a rotating buffet of sushi by the plate that were gonna go to which I'm looking forward to

I am also pre-op and hoping to set a date in November if possible. I am enjoying one item (in moderation) each week on my "Food Farewell Tour" of foods/restaurants that I will never eat/eat at again (my choice) or will be a long time before I can eat/eat at them again, while TRYING to eat like I will need to months after surgery. Call it a form of mourning. Glad I made the decision to finally have WLS but I believe this will help me going forward

I didn't have a lot of lead time from when I decided to have surgery and when it happened. I had some food funerals. Right now I am really regretting I didn't have a ribeye funeral, because in the back of my mind, I really could go for a steak. It seems weird low-carbing without steak. I still have a little over 3.5 months before I can have steak

You are going to have a long time possibly you won't be able to even have anything you need to chew. If you think enjoying some things you like will help you get through those times then do it.

Also down the road if you are willing to cook, search the net for recipes, and buy a few specialty items from the health food store, you can have almost everything you can eat now. You just have to think different about how to prepare it and what tastes good. Life after the sleeve is not a life of being deprived but you need to log and weigh everything so you can stay within goals.

I am 5 weeks away from surgery and doing well. I am committed to the pre-op and post-op eating plans.

That being said...Saturday is my one and only food funeral. A nice big plate of Benihana and my last glass of pop. I feel good w the decision and I know it doesn't take away from my desire to change.

I really enjoy grilling.

One of the things that my family really loves is when I cook pizza on the grill.

I normally use fresh pizza dough sold in the bakery vs making my own.

I like to roll them fairly thin and use whatever toppings everyone wants on their own pizzas.

I've done very little grilling in the last few months due to some back problems....but that didn't change my love for pizza.

I opted to have pizza from Pizza Hut as my last meal before begining the liquid diet. It was thin crust Supreme.

What I'm craving right now more than anything is the Seebreeze salad w/ Salmon from Fatz Cafe with their strawberry Vinegarette dressing. No kidding. I chew my way through a chainlink fence to get to some of that. :)

I live in Cali so I had in n out a few times actually, double double with grilled onions and animal style fries. Crazy part is I couldn't even finish it. I was already mentally prepared to have the surgery. I had lots of Mexican food, the best of which were seafood enchiladas...they had shrimp, scallops and lobster in them...that was freaking amazing! I had a cucumber margarita...amazing! chicken nachos...man, I had everything I thought I would want lol. It got kinda burnt out toward the end and stuff didn't even taste as good to me, that's when I knew I was ready.

These days I've just been craving salad! Particularly one with chicken and avocado, which I'll be able to have in a week or so!

I live in Cali so I had in n out a few times actually, double double with grilled onions and animal style fries. Crazy part is I couldn't even finish it. I was already mentally prepared to have the surgery. I had lots of Mexican food, the best of which were seafood enchiladas...they had shrimp, scallops and lobster in them...that was freaking amazing! I had a cucumber margarita...amazing! chicken nachos...man, I had everything I thought I would want lol. It got kinda burnt out toward the end and stuff didn't even taste as good to me, that's when I knew I was ready.

These days I've just been craving salad! Particularly one with chicken and avocado, which I'll be able to have in a week or so!

I hear ya on the Mexican food. That is hands down, without question the numero uno favorite food for my family when we go out. I found that we slowed down our visits there a great deal after I made some diet changes in April. In the past the waiters at our normal spots knew when I walked in the door to show up at the table with an ice cold 36oz Dox Equis Amabar draft before they bring chips 'n salsa. I had to get them to stop the grande drafts.

Just like you said, it really had reached the point where it wasn't all that enjoyable as I was getting geared up for wls.

The salads are what I grew to love more than anything as I changed my diet leading up to now. Those and the packs of tuna from Starkist. They have a number of flavored varieties that I truly enjoy. Small foil packs. Easy to carry in at work and have when desired. Those will be the two foods I look forward to in the future......although my nutritionist sorta frowned on salads but she was high on the tuna idea. Doesn't matter...I still want a salad every so often. :)

The only food funeral I had was I made a small thanksgiving dinner for my family (I have 5 kids so no meal is really small around here, lol!) we had turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole and candied yams. I did not eat a lot. I had a good amount of Turkey and a small scoop of everything else. I made the kids and the husband pie but I didn't have any. Thanksgiving dinner has always been one of my favorites, I'll be 1 month post-op around thanksgiving so I wanted to enjoy it before surgery. I don't allow myself to over eat anymore. I know it's bad, I never feel good afterwards, and I know over eating is what got me in the position. If I crave something I have a bite or two then throw it in the trash. The hardest thing for me to give up was soda. I don't even miss that anymore.

My last meal was Souplantation on Sunday. Love that place. I was good though.

I keep having visions in my head about my surgeon seeing my last meal in my stomach.

I have surgery tomorrow afternoon.

Is it too late to take Miralax to clear out my stomach?

I am not supposed to eat or drink anything after midnight and I am not on a pre-op liquid diet.