Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tomorrow I'll be four months out from surgery, going from 326 sw to 278 cw (my hw was 340). I was squeezing/just fitting into size 28 pants then and now my size 26s and 28s are definitely too big. I can make them work with pulling them up really high and using belts. My new yoga pants are the only ones that fit me right and my size 26 Torrid skinny jeans still fit okay (loose in thighs and butt and waist, but they stay up mostly); however, they're starting to get worn in the inner thigh area so I'm afraid they'll rip soon if I wear them too much....

So basically, my question is -- should I buy some new pants now? I've already bought some new tops (sizes 18/20 and 22/24 ish), because I picked ones out that would last me a long time even when they get looser. BUT pants are harder because once they don't fit, they just don't fit. Debating on buying some Old Navy skinny pants on sale now, but I have NO idea what size I am and their plus size section is online only....HELP! I'm also thinking I should find a used clothing/Goodwill type store, but their plus size clothing sections are usually lackluster, at best. I'm only 23 and everybody dresses fairly nicely at my work, so I really needs pants/jeans that are nice looking/skinny jeans. Worried I won't be able to find them there. Any advice would be appreciated!

what about getting some maxi skirts? You can wear those for a couple sizes. Old Navy has some great ones. So does Avenue - and I think they're on sale

what about getting some maxi skirts? You can wear those for a couple sizes. Old Navy has some great ones. So does Avenue - and I think they're on sale

True! I haven't invested in one of those yet....I've always felt too short and too fat for them. Plus winter in New England is NOT a good time for them. =(

I've bought very little. What I did do and am still doing is I started going through all my old clothes. I started at anywhere from a 26 - 32 depending on the cut. I have clothing all the way down to a 16. I purged and gave away loads of clothes. Some I donated to goodwill. I'm now trying out ThredUp. The only things I have bought are workout clothes, 2 bathing suits for the beach this summer and a dress that was on sale for $8. I've had a blast fitting back in my old clothes. I also buy new underwear because my bra size and panty size have gone down. I just buy enough to get by since I am losing.

My advice is to just buy enough to get by. If you can catch a sale buy new, otherwise check out your local thrift stores. I just got a winter jacket from BCOutlet for $13 shipped and a pair of boots for $18. Elastic wait skirts will last a few sizes if you need presentable clothing for work as will draw string pants.

I buy all of my clothes at our local goodwill! We have a awesome one! It's cheap and if I lose weight and they don't fit it's not a big deal 4 bucks lost.

I was going to suggest consignment stores. You can pick up some very nice clothing at very affordable prices.

If you are still in plus sizes, consignment stores and goodwill are going to be a waste of time. The time you spend looking for something will cost you more than just buying something cheap.

I would suggest dresses + tights/leggings. As in wear dresses with tights and leggings under them in the fall/winter. You can wear dresses for more sizes than pants. Leggings and tights are cheap to replace as you drop sizes. You could wear summer maxi dresses with a jacket or blazer. you can change the look of almost any dress with a belt so get a lot of belts. Stretchy ones with big buckles will last longer than standard belts.

Right now I am kind of where you are. My 28 jeans are all too large. I tried on 26 jeans at the store, and they fit last week but in another week or 2 they will be too large. I'm not going to buy any jeans until I am in a 24, and I will just get one pair, and another when I hit 22. I usually buy clothes every week but since surgery I haven't bought anything and I am kinda dying to shop, lol.

I have been buying consignment/Goodwill for a couple years, sadly before it was because I kept gaining weight. We have 4 different stores in our county and they all have plus size sections. I'm down around 3 sizes now, and I've been trying to make due with what I have, but it is getting harder. Skirts and dresses are no problem, but pants are really baggy, and since I am fairly short, baggy makes it look even worse. So I am now going to Goodwill for smaller sizes. Each time I go, I get a couple outfits that I love in a couple sizes smaller, so I can work my way into fitting them and it is a reward for me. I actually bought a dress back in July when I found out one of my best friends were getting married, specifically to wear to her wedding. Now it's too big, and I'm paying $10 to have it altered...so I paid $14 total for a stunning dress, that would retail at $75 that now once again fits me.

I refuse to spend a lot on good clothes, I've always been too frugal...with my even changing (and now for the good), until I am maintaining, I'm not forking out $$ for clothes that I'm not going to fit in (hopefully) in a couple of months.

I BOUGHT A FEW ITEMS HERE AND THERE AT GOODWILL AND YARD SALES. I DIDN'T BUY ANYTHING NEW OR PAY FULL PRICE FOR ANYTHING TIL I HAD LOST ABOUT 100 LBS

Tomorrow I'll be four months out from surgery, going from 326 sw to 278 cw (my hw was 340). I was squeezing/just fitting into size 28 pants then and now my size 26s and 28s are definitely too big. I can make them work with pulling them up really high and using belts. My new yoga pants are the only ones that fit me right and my size 26 Torrid skinny jeans still fit okay (loose in thighs and butt and waist, but they stay up mostly); however, they're starting to get worn in the inner thigh area so I'm afraid they'll rip soon if I wear them too much....

So basically, my question is -- should I buy some new pants now? I've already bought some new tops (sizes 18/20 and 22/24 ish), because I picked ones out that would last me a long time even when they get looser. BUT pants are harder because once they don't fit, they just don't fit. Debating on buying some Old Navy skinny pants on sale now, but I have NO idea what size I am and their plus size section is online only....HELP! I'm also thinking I should find a used clothing/Goodwill type store, but their plus size clothing sections are usually lackluster, at best. I'm only 23 and everybody dresses fairly nicely at my work, so I really needs pants/jeans that are nice looking/skinny jeans. Worried I won't be able to find them there. Any advice would be appreciated!

I think you need to take an afternoon and try on some stuff. Do you have a Burlington coat factory near you? Or Marshall's or TJ Maxx? I won't pay more than $20 for any item, since i know we transition out of sizes quickly; those stores have decent prices. Right now I've been moving down a size after a month and a half. I feel like I'm getting a good number of wears out of things before I need a new size, and I'm buying only essentials.

I started in a 26 and had clothes on hand down to size 20. I'm now in an 18 pants and 16 tops. Old navy is good for me now since I can shop in the store. I've tried good will and thrift stores, was lucky to score a winter coat for $7, but other wise nothing. Plus sizes there are hard to find something decent without 20 hours of searching. And, oddly, I'm an 18 in Old navy jeans today, but the same 18's from old navy in a thrift store wouldn't fit. BTW, I hate their skinny fit!

I love Avenue.com and Romans.com. I just bypassed the expensive stuff and bought clearance and sales item a couple of sizes ahead.

I would like to shake the hand of the person who invented elastic. Most of my clothes along the way have been elastic waist pants and tunic tops.

At 50 pounds down I had to start buying a few basic tops. My belly did not keep up with my boobs, so I have change out tops more often than pants.

If you are still in plus sizes, consignment stores and goodwill are going to be a waste of time. The time you spend looking for something will cost you more than just buying something cheap.

Ironically most of the consignment shops near me wouldn't take my plus size clothes. I have 2 suits that are a 32. They are good quality and I paid a pretty penny for them. Fully lined suits. One is a black pants suit and one is a checkered skirt and jacket. Both retailed for over $100. If ThredUp works for me I may try listing them there. Otherwise I don't know what else to do with them. I did donate a lot of regular clothing to Goodwill.

My advice is to go to Walmart and buy 2 pairs of pants only if you can make that work! I was in a 26 and am now a 20. (2.5 months out) and had to have some pants. I kept my pair of 24s I had that were too big and just rotate between the 3 pairs. I'm going to try to wear the heck out of these! Go cheap for now and get what you really want once your weight loss slows a little more. Good luck!

Thanks everyone!! Such good advice from everyone!

I think my first step will definitely be to try on clothes somewhere to figure out my general size. I know I tried on a pair of 18s a friend gave me the other day and they didn't fit (but they were flare, and flares do not look good on short people), so I know I'm at least a 20, but I'm guessing 22-24 will be my range.

Goodwill is always hit or miss. My best friend worked there years ago and got me a really cute black lace top in a plus size, but I find that for pants, there's almost never anything nice looking for plus sizes, just frumpy, ill-fitting ones with wide calf areas - plus they're usually too long for me!

I just need a good pair of jeans or something...I'm in Boston and it's freezing and snowy here.

@Mrswrath -- Never heard of them but I'm in MA. I think there's an Avenue store somewhere near my work (I really like them too @@Miss Mac ) so maybe that'd be better than online...