Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tummy tuck questions about scar

I am scheduled to have surgery in Nov. and I'm confused and feeling a bit conflicted. My insurance has agreed to cover the pani. I am paying the extra for the abdominoplasty and an upper thigh lift. The doctor tells me there will be a scar running down the center of my stomach in addition to the one that goes around the waist. I see a lot of pics here but I don't see anyone with a scar down the front of their stomach vertically. I'm not sure I want a scar that you can see like that. Also, I work out and I'm not sure I really need the muscles tightened. I would love some feedback on this. Thank you in advance.

Well, my situation is a bit different from yours but I understand what your concerns are. I suffer from hypertrophic scarring (not as severe as keloid scars). As a result of being unhappy with my VSG scars, I've been getting steroids injections to shrink the size and have been scheduled for Fraxel laser treatments to help with the discoloration.

The vertical incision is to help with tightening around the middle and giving you more shape. Depending on how you look now many who just have a regular TT lose the shape at the waist. I have had the vertical scar and my incision has healed very well and is barely noticeable. You would be surprised about the muscle tightening many do need this.

It is sometimes called an anchor cut. I didn't need that, but ladies that do get remarkable results. I think it is really a trade off question, scar vs results and depends how your excess skin hangs. If you are most interested in looking awesome while clothed, probably worth the trade off.

If you are concerned about this, go back to your Dr.'s office and ask to see photos, and get more information. You need to be sure it is what you want, BEFORE you do the surgery!

Get the muscles tightened!! Getting the skin removal without the muscle tightening is like getting a base model Mercedes. If you're going to do it, get the extras. I've had a Tummy Tuck (prior to WLS) about 5 years ago and my abs were tight! I'm just now getting to where I could use a little workout to tighten them back up. It's so difficult to get that sculpted look on your own, regardless of how much you work out.

I second cowgirl Jane, canyon baby and Lexie! From what I have read and seen online, the vertical cut gives you are more feminine shape. But I didn't get it, I didn't want the vertical scar either. I was ok with the trade off. I did get my muscles tightened, and I'm very glad I did. But definitely be sure about what you want and what you are willing to live with before going under the knife. This is a long term investment.

At first I did not want the inverted T but - I am so glad I did as it gives you a more defined, slimmer waist.

My scar stretched - I didn't know back then that if you keep the paper tape on it for three months (yes three) his allows the skin to heal and the scar to be a much much finer line.....

I did not have my muscles done - Because of the Hernia surgery and the mesh I had made it not able to be done... I do think my waist would have been even smaller had I had the muscles done...

I am so glad I did it - I am 5yrs post op now - And I might have the scar redone but it doesn't really bother me thaaat much - But it did give me a much more defined waist that I would not have got had I not done the inverted T - (My PS said without the T I would look 'boxy' - I am glad I took his advice)

My belly button is also like that cos I had previous hernia surgery where the surgeon didn't bother to tell me he has cut the umbilicus so it is now free floating and the belly button he left me with after that surgery was like half a belly button (connected to nothing bad a lump of fat my PS left for blood supply - Looks like a cats bum to me lol)

I guess as I had previously had a 5inch or so hernia scar there, this scar is tidier than that one was..... It all depends on whether you can accept the scar I guess. And how defined you would like your waist to be - I do wish I had known of the tricks to a flatter scar but - My PS talked to me about 'realistic expectations' then he gave me the world - and more - lol

Good luck

Pic not long after surgery

120910-01_zps39f3108d.jpg

And...

Most recent pic below... I am more straight up and down now cos of other skin removal malarkey...

(Please ignore elasticated waist lines on pic - We had just got back from swimming and I was wearing jogging bottoms - lol)

belly%20aug%2015_zpsvpqjy6ft.jpg

Edited by Scamp

It really depends on you and your personal situation. When I had mine done my surgeon and I discussed both and decided the inverted T scar wasn't worth the benefit for me. I really only had excess skin, no subcutaneous fat or anything. And it was limited. Yeah I still have some laxity around my middle... I won't be able to show off a six pack ever because it's just covered by some skin still... But I will be able to wear a bikini so I am good!

Here are my before and afters, three months out. I DID have the muscle tightening which I needed after two kids and years of yoyo dieting and obesity. The top is before. The middle shows how the scar is covered by bikini cut underwear. The bottom shows the scar. I have a bit of a dog ear at the ends which will be fixed, but my hip bones also poke out which makes for an odd bump at the ends! If I could pick where it went I would gain another 5lbs or so back to cover that up and give it a nice contour there.

post-194772-14430403711322_thumb.jpg post-194772-14430403945563_thumb.jpg post-194772-14430404195586_thumb.jpg

Thank you all so much for your help. You look amazing. I really want to be able to wear a bikini. The scar down the middle is stressing me out. I find its hard to get the surgeon who has a vested interest financially to be subjective. I wish there was a place to see pics and compare if the muscles are truly necessary or if it's just an up charge for the doc. Also I want to know if the t is really necessary. I've asked him this but of course he feels it would be best. It's very expensive. It may be best but what if I'd rather not have that scar. I'll just have to make another appointment. I have one with the nurse but they said the only way I can see pics is to make an appointment with him. I thought that was weird

Thank you all so much for your help. You look amazing. I really want to be able to wear a bikini. The scar down the middle is stressing me out. I find its hard to get the surgeon who has a vested interest financially to be subjective. I wish there was a place to see pics and compare if the muscles are truly necessary or if it's just an up charge for the doc. Also I want to know if the t is really necessary. I've asked him this but of course he feels it would be best. It's very expensive. It may be best but what if I'd rather not have that scar. I'll just have to make another appointment. I have one with the nurse but they said the only way I can see pics is to make an appointment with him. I thought that was weird

I will say this... I consulted with five surgeons in person and two on the Internet. Only one on the Internet said the T would be worth it for me. So at least six of mine didn't try to up sell me on that. Can you get a second and maybe third opinion? If you can and they all say you need the T I would maybe believe them.

Re the muscle tightening... Most women who have been obese for more than a couple of years or who have had kids need it. Do this--lay on your back and tighten your core like you are going to do a sit up. Find the middle of your abs (middle from side to side like a line from your pelvis to sternum). Feel for an indentation or separation that parallels that line, most of us have them. If it's wider than two fingers your muscles are separated and you need the tightening.

There are many pictures on RealSelf.com

I would start there if you want to see more Vertical LBL incision results.

One good guideline: If you observe your body, look at your scars from the past and the healing process might be about the same. The sutures done by your surgeon will effect your outcome as well as your own aftercare of your incisions/scars. Many of us use various silicone wraps or tapes for scar treatment. Certain Oils can also help keep the skin soft and it gives the scars a fraction of elasticity so that they can heal thin, flat and beautiful.

From my observation of seeing many many pictures of before and after pictures, the vertical incision heals really well. I think more women would agree to it if they knew how well that incision heals.

I am scheduled to have a Tummy Tuck 2nd week in Nov. already went through all the steps and had my pre surgery appointment. I still have questions though so I'm going to a different hospital/doc tomorrow to see how they do things.

Here's what feels weird to me.

During my first appointment they told me I had to wait 4 weeks because you have to be at the same weight for 6 months and be a certain amount of time after WLS. I wondered why they didn't tell me that when I scheduled the appointment and before I wasted everyone's time. I also asked to see prices and pics but they told me we could discuss all that when I come back next month. Pricing would be helpful as I needed to know if it was even feasible but uhm ok.

So I go to the next appointment. They still don't give pricing as I have to wait and see if I get approved by insurance etc. I ask to see pics but doc is in and out in 2 seconds. When talking to nurse she tells me only doc can show pics I'd have to schedule an appointment.

Really? So next step is wait for response from insurance company.

So I wait and wait and I finally get approved and when I ask how much the surgery costs they tell me they can't tell me as it's an agreed upon price between insurance and hospital. I'd have to call ins. Company. I got approved for a pani but have to pay the extra for a TT and upper thigh lift. So now they finally give me a price for the additional work and give me a week to pay if I want the surgery date they've given me. Gee, thanks for the heads up.

They give me a date for my pre-op and anesthesia appointment. When I call to again request to see pics they tell me the docs nurse can't show me the pics. Only the doc can. So they keep my anesthesia appointment which was last week but change my pre op appointment with their office to Oct. 30th. Which is on 12 days before my surgery. It just feels like I've been pulling teeth with these peeps.

Tomorrow I go to a totally different hospital to see what they say but I'm afraid iv already gone to the pre op etc that insurance won't pay if I decide to switch.

If anyone actually stuck around long enough to read this novel thank you. What do you think? Do you find this odd? Has anyone else experienced this?

Yeah definitely seems odd.

Insurance shouldn't care if you switch docs.