Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want the gastric sleeve surgery so bad

I have an appointment October 2nd with my pcp to get a referral for my consultation appointment October 12th. I really really really and did I mention REALLY want this? I've done all of my research and even have a couple of friends who have done it and are so happy with the results. I have three small kids ages 4, 3, and 1. I want to do this for my health and my kids. I hope I can get this done before the year is over.

Good luck. Bring a copy of any past weight loss attempt records (I brought the ones from the gym), especially if your BMI is borderline for qualification. Be sure you tell your PCP everything that both the surgeon and insurance want to hear so that he includes it in the letter. In order to get it done before the new year (I think January would be more realistic...I would find it hard to have the discipline to get done in the middle of holiday season anyway), be sure you stay on track with your info sessions, pre-op visits, and don't let the sleep study people yank you around...that is the part that stalls the longest, so you're best off saying anything that is reasonably true so that a question doesn't arise regarding your respiratory health.

I don't have any proof in writing that I've had weight loss attempts I just know that I've tried MANY ATTEMPTS lol. What are the things I should say to get my pcp to agree with the surgery? I want to tell her that I've tried EVERYTHING! I got really heavy during my pregnancies so I suffer from high bp managed by medicine and I have high cholesterol. I have had three sleep studies done already and all came back negative. My bmi is a 54. I have amerigroup through Medicaid in Florida so I just honestly hope that my pcp clears me and my insurance accepts the surgery within a reasonable time. Right now I am having anxiety about it lol

I'm sure you will get it. My insurance required me to be over 50 bmi in order for them to pay for all of it. And I was. Mine is 52 bmi. Maybe a little less now. I have caresource. I'm from ohio. Hopefully you get this and just explain to her why you want it. It will be okay!

I hope so Molly. I'll be 30 in feb and it hurts that my oldest tells me that she's sad that I get tired to play with her outside and obviously it's because of my weight. My family has a history of heart disease as well and I just want a new life and I am willing to change 100%

Unfortunately Florida does not consider weight loss surgery medically necessary and has it excluded from Medicaid from what I understand

congrats on making the decision to change your life! It is an exciting journey to be on. My program was 6 months long. Depending on who or where your PCP sends you it could be different. I didn't mind the time it too but I wished it was faster at times. I think it took me that long to really get educated on what I was going to be doing to my body and what that would mean for me for the rest of my life. I'm not saying it isn't possible that you could get your surgery before the end of the year but don't get your hopes up too high just in case. My program was 6 mo but it is taking me 7 mo to get my surgery. that isn't the same for everyone at the same place but It is just what happened to me. I had my inital consult in Feburary and now am having my surgery on Monday (21st). Good luck!

Awesome and I'm so happy for you!! And to the other poster..a lot of my friends have been approved through the same insurance that's why I'm considering it but I have bad luck and that's why I'm nervous I'll get denied lol. I'm worried I'll get turned down by my pcp then my insurance ..I'm trying to stay positive but it's hard

all you can do really is ask your primary care doc for a consultation to go talk to someone and to "get all the facts". I don't know why any dr would say no unless they are really against bariatric surgery. All you can do is ask. IF they say no....I hope they have concrete facts on why they would not do so. I think if it is what you want and it sounds like you really want to do this.....you can insist on them sending in the referal request. You may be able to go to an info session also and have the bariatric center submit the insurance paperwork to see if they will accept....IDK since I did it thru my PCP.

Awesome and I'm so happy for you!! And to the other poster..a lot of my friends have been approved through the same insurance that's why I'm considering it but I have bad luck and that's why I'm nervous I'll get denied lol. I'm worried I'll get turned down by my pcp then my insurance ..I'm trying to stay positive but it's hard

did you see your surgeon yet?

Hi Holly. Yes I actually met him this past Monday and they do take my insurance and have operated on many patients with my surgery. They said that I may have surgery either in February or May. I'm praying for February because it's my birthday month lol

Good deal.

Work hard on your weight loss and pray hard, too.

Weight loss is the ultimate goal. No need to wait for the surgery to begin.

Those three young kids are great motivation. Use your friends as motivation, too. Make a game of beating their results by strictly following your surgeon's plan. :D

Best wishes. Nail it.

Hi Holly. Yes I actually met him this past Monday and they do take my insurance and have operated on many patients with my surgery. They said that I may have surgery either in February or May. I'm praying for February because it's my birthday month lol

awesome!!!! I'm liking at March or april

Good luck! I'm at the end of my pre op journey and am looking forward to the other side for the reasons you mentioned. I have 7 kids and there's so much I want to be able to do with them and can't because of my weight. I got lucky that my surgeon is a Bariatric center of excellence and does a 90 day program. It feels like that has gone on forever! My best advice is read as much as you can, and make as many changes as you can leading up to surgery so it's not all a big shock and just keep an honest open dialogue with your NUT.

Good deal.

Work hard on your weight loss and pray hard, too.

Weight loss is the ultimate goal. No need to wait for the surgery to begin.

Those three young kids are great motivation. Use your friends as motivation, too. Make a game of beating their results by strictly following your surgeon's plan. :D

Best wishes. Nail it.

Thank you so much for your kind positive words!