Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre - Op sleeve newbie - Hello! :)

Hi everyone,

I stumbled upon this site while I was looking for info about the sleeve op, I hope it's ok to join?

A little about me, I'm 37 & live in East Sussex with my daughter & partner. I've been obese/morbidly obese for about 30 years now! I've tried every single diet imaginable, with some success but have always put the weight back on, I'm now at my highest weight ever at 21 stone :unsure:

I had an appointment last week with my consultant, fully expecting to have a gastric band. I was all prepared, with my little book of questions for him. After he explained all the pro's & cons for all the procedures & which one would be best for me, I had completely changed my mind & have decided on the sleeve.

Now, to qualify for surgery with this surgeon, I have to have a BMI of 45.9 or lower. I'm currently 47.4 as of today, so before I can even book an op date I have to lose at least another 10lbs. I'm doing my best & have lost 4lbs since last week....so maybe 3-4 weeks I will have lost the next 10lbs :lol:

I'd be grateful for sleeve buddies or to hear about your experiences, please share! :D

Hello Inkie,

Welcome to the site which is a great way to find out about pre and post op living! Are you having the sleeve via the NHS or going private? This forum is geat for support on the "What can I buy in the UK" as a lot of the products discussed are only avaliabe in the USA. I had my sleeve on 23/7/2015 and its been one of the best things I have ever done. I have also met a few good friends here and we have been very supportive to each other.

Nice to meet you!! :D

Hello Inkie,

Welcome to the site which is a great way to find out about pre and post op living! Are you having the sleeve via the NHS or going private? This forum is geat for support on the "What can I buy in the UK" as a lot of the products discussed are only avaliabe in the USA. I had my sleeve on 23/7/2015 and its been one of the best things I have ever done. I have also met a few good friends here and we have been very supportive to each other.

Nice to meet you!! :D

Hiya :)

Thank you! I'm going private, my fantastic Mum is funding me <3

When you say what can I buy in the UK, do you mean food you can have?

You've done so well! have you found it quite easy? What was the whole experience like? (sorry for all the questions!)

@@inkie

I meant the drinks, Vitamins etc etc. I have found it a doddle really. Much easier than expected and still learning day by day about my body and how it needs to be tended to. Then again im very strict with myself and keep to all the 'rules' and will do until I am maintaining.

Your Mum is ace!!!

@@inkie

I meant the drinks, Vitamins etc etc. I have found it a doddle really. Much easier than expected and still learning day by day about my body and how it needs to be tended to. Then again im very strict with myself and keep to all the 'rules' and will do until I am maintaining.

Your Mum is ace!!!

That's great that you're finding it so easy, have you lost the hunger? I'm looking forward to this (if it happens to me, that is!) What drinks did you have? I heard that you can have slimfast? I quite like their flavours.

My Mum is sooper dooper ace isn't she <3

I lost the hunger inkie, apart from the head hunger every now and again which is doable. I have to plan my day so I know when to eat and drink or I would go without and forget to eat. I have optimum nutrition and love it. High in Protein and low in carbs/sugars. I like the milk chocolate the best. I did use slimfast years ago and like them too.

How’s it going for you?

I lost the hunger inkie, apart from the head hunger every now and again which is doable. I have to plan my day so I know when to eat and drink or I would go without and forget to eat. I have optimum nutrition and love it. High in Protein and low in carbs/sugars. I like the milk chocolate the best. I did use slimfast years ago and like them too.

How’s it going for you?

Sorry, I totally thought I'd replied to this! It's good to know what other have, I'm not sure what my dietician will suggest, I've got slimfast as a backup though :) I'd love to lose my hunger, my head hunger more so, but I know I'm going to have to do a lot of brain training to get over that!!

I'm nearly 3 weeks into my pre-preop diet (if that's even a thing!) I've been calorie counting, 1200 a day, it's been reasonably easy, I've not had chocolate, crisps, pizza, chips (all those bad things that I use to live on!) apart from a few days ago when I was at the peak of my stinking cold, I was craving fish & chip shop chips, which I always have when I'm coldy, but I resisted! I've lost 15lbs in 3 weeks & I'm pretty chuffed!

I've got an appointment with the psychologist on Friday, then next week I'll pop along to the hospital to see if I'm at the bmi that they require, then it'll be full steam ahead! Excited!!!

Hi ladies,

Sorry to jump in but I am loving the stuff you are writing, like inkie I have a million questions but where to start not a clue. It's the pain I am on fear of I really am ????

I have been on this journey since Nov 2014 finally got my op date for 30th Oct so nervous, excited a mix of all emotions really!!!

Nice to meet you ZoeJane ☺

Hi Zoe & Kate, feel free to join the Facebook uk support group, I just set it up a day or 2 ago. Just private message me your email & I'll add you if you want x

Hi ladies! Thrilled to find some UK sleevers here! I'm scheduled for 4th December and would love to get to know you and hear about your experiences! Support is SO important! I sent inkie my info for her Facebook page! Great idea. I had a previous Gastric band (removed prior to moving to N. Ireland in July 2012 from New Hampshire, USA). So I'm starting over, which is a bit of an ego blow, but I'm up for the challenge. I wished I had the option of the sleeve when I choose the Band. It wasn't available in 2010 at my surgeon's, and in America we had to go to the doctor that your insurance said. So I tried the band, but it wasn't for me. At all. Anyway, Here I am and I'm ready to be successful with the sleeve! So let's support each other on this journey!!!! xx

Hi tracytma I too am in Northern Ireland and am due surgery Dec 8th, I'm in Newry where snouts are you? How are you doing on your pre op? And where are you getting your surgery done? Sorry for all the questions excited to find someone in Northern Ireland lol