Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

41 yrs Mom, 3 boys, Houston, Gastric Bypass 10/8; Self Pay

I am a 41 year old mom of 3 boys (and a puppy!) sharing my life with my wonderful husband of over 15 years. I've struggled with weight for most of my life and have tried all the usual weight loss suspects, only to not lose much or quickly gain back any weight I had lost. I only recently "gave up" losing weight, 6 years post my youngest son's day of birth. Out of desperation, I began researching bariatric surgery, something I had never before considered.

I made a decision to pursue weight loss surgery and have never thought twice… even when I discovered my insurance would not pay. I am now a self-pay, pre-surgery patient scheduled for 10/8. I struggle with my self-pay status, not only because of the money required to pay for the surgery, but also because of the guilt I feel, taking away such an important safety net for my family. My husband is very supportive and just wants me to be happy. I am fortunate. I just wish this decision did not feel so selfish.

That's it. Bittersweet, really… So excited and ready for the surgery and inevitable changes, but apprehensive as one would expect. I so hope that I do this right and make the most of this wonderful opportunity.

I'm sorry your insurance isn't covering you. I can understand your concern re: costs. I had some insurance support, so my situation is obviously different, however...I also felt very selfish before going into my surgery and had a lot of guilt. My 2 cents now...you are taking control of your health/life. And if that's selfish than so be it! Your family will be thankful to have you in their life for YEARS to come!

Best of luck to you!

Good luck on your surgery. Keep posting and let us know how you are doing and if you run into any problems or questions along the way.

you've got a great attitude and positive outlook about it, so I really think you're going to do great. All your hard work will be worth it in the end. Congratulations, and keep us updated. Feel free to message me anytime if you ever want to talk or have any questions. ^_^

You and your family will not regret the decision you have made. I struggled for a few years over having the gastric bypass. Even though I am fresh out of surgery having it on September 2nd,between my preoperative dieting and my surgery I have lost 42 lbs and already starting to feel a lot better. Good luck on your journey and I am here if you need someone to talk to ????

Thank you all for your responses and support… finding this website has been such a blessing. My pre-op diet starts this coming Thursday, the 24th. I've been trying to not succumb to the "last supper" mentality, but I'm failing miserably, lol… I keep thinking that I need to indulge before indulging is prohibited. I am hoping this is normal…?… I'm excited about the next month and the changes I will experience in the coming year. I love hearing about your success stories and look forward to sharing this journey with you all!

Lol about the last supper mentality! I'm laughing because I too had the same thoughts and I acted upon them.My family and I went to Popeye's (no regrets here).It's in the past, and I'm now on my journey to a happier,healthier me, a journey you will soon be joining. Looking forward to hearing your success stories.Take care-Brenda

@@irishaggie just wanted to check in and see how you're doing!

@ - I'm doing great, thanks so much for asking! I get tired quickly, still have some pain, and I'm bored to death with full liquids, but other than that I am doing good, lol :) I see my doctor tomorrow and I think he will put me on purees, so I'm looking forward to that!

Do you have a surgery date?

Edited by irishaggie

Yay for purée! ???? no surgery date yet...I will finish my insurance-required 90 day program in early January and then go from there ????

I'm glad you're doing ok!

In Houston as well! You are investing in yourself to be around longer and healthier for your family.

By now you had surgery. Hope all went well.

@@Txn26 - Hello from Houston! Yes, doing great! Thanks so much for checking in :) I've lost just over sixty and have been hanging out just below 200 since Christmas… I've reached a little plateau, but I'm trying not to obsess over it, lol.

Congrats on the under 200! That's terrific. Plateaus are normal, don't fret. That's a normal part of any weight loss. If nothing changes in a few weeks check with your nut or doctor about it. They may have some ideas on what to change as far as foods go. Hang in there!

And you kinda have to remember to take care of yourself, because if you don't you might not be around to take care of others.

Hi @@irishaggie! I'm a mom of three in Houston (Friendswood). I've been dealing with diets for years and watched my mother do it too. I had a band placed in 2012 and removed 8 mos later- then went to Mexico to get a sleeve but doc said he could only do a plication as my stomach was swollen. Plication a joke. Few years later get an insurance that pays and got a bypass. I was willing to pay OOP for this!! Some offices take Care Credit which is interest free for medical services but I know you're done and congrats. Bypass on 11/2415. 45 lbs lost. I ste a very small bowl of Blue Bell ice cream and was so sick for hours (dumping, too much sugar). Gave up soda!! That was hard.

As far as feeling guilty, you really only live once!!! You made the right choice cuz if momma ain't happy, no ones happy lol!!