Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I really want to get a lower body lift, butt lift, arms and breast lift but the thought of having drains hanging out of me is terrifying. I don't worry about the pain or procedures just the drains. So my question is, how long did you have drains in and for how long?

I just had my pre-op for arms and a 360 abdomen/butt lift. The surgeon said I would have 2 drains for the abdominal surgery. The drains will be in for 7-10 days depending on the quantity of drainage each day. The drains help keep down swelling and Fluid collection at the surgical site.

I haven't had any plastics, but I have had a drain before. It's kinda' icky to see it/think of it, but it never hurt, and of course I didn't have to empty it, because I was in the hospital. I think I could have done it on my own though.

My husband says he'll empty it for me but it's almost like a phobia when I think about having drains. I know it's weird but it's my primary concern. Thanks for sharing. I really want to move past the fear.

I COMPLETELY understand the phobia around drains!!

When I went for TT/panni, that was my biggest fear. Plus, I live alone AND pass out easily.

They were not as bad or gross as I had imagined. did NOT pass out ONCE!! lol!

They are a pain in the A$$, couldn't wait to get them out. Had two drains one removed at one week, the other was a tad over two weeks. The length of time they stay in, depends on the amount of drainage. You definitely don't want all that Fluid to build up inside you. You'll be fine, I hope you find them to be more bearable than you think, at this time.

I have not had plastics yet but I have had drains for both my bypass and a recent spine surgery.

Yes they are gross to think about but the reality is most of what is in your head is worse than reality.

They don't hurt when they are in and they don't hurt coming out.

Try to focus on how fantastic you are going to look! I can hardly wait until I am ready for plastics!

Good luck to you!

After having a LBL (and other procedures ) I can say that drains are annoying, icky but really NOT that big of a deal...

gosh this is just so true though, i have no way to pay for the surgery yet, but my biggest fear with a TT surgery is the drains. Heck i was a paramedic for 11 years , but then again i freak out when getting an IV, although putting one in someone else is a piece of cake. lol irrational fears are soooo un fun.

lol

My experience seems to have been different than most of you - my drains hurt a lot and leaked a lot. But it was a necessary evil, and it was doable. I wouldn't let that fear keep you from reaching your goal.

The only pain was a couple had to stay in longer (too much output) so I had adhesions. The removal "smarted" like a MOFO but it was over fast. They never leaked though.

You guys have boosted my confidence a tiny bit. I'm about a year away from getting my plastics done. It's nice to know most of you didn't have any issues with your drains.

So I really want to get a lower body lift, butt lift, arms and breast lift but the thought of having drains hanging out of me is terrifying. I don't worry about the pain or procedures just the drains. So my question is, how long did you have drains in and for how long?

Hi!

I am 8 weeks post op lower body lift. I had two drains, one that drained from the front and one that went to the back (their entrance on me was side by side). I'm a nurse. They are typically always JP drains which looks like little bulbs. There shouldn't be any foul odor from them and they are low maintenance. Initially you usually empty them often to make sure their output is a certain amount decided by your doctor. My back side drain was removed at 2 weeks. My front side was pulled between 3&4 weeks.

Hopefully you can have someone help you if it grosses you out. While I could empty my own, initially my 2 daughters did it for me. One is a nursing student and the other is truly grossed out by medical stuff but she emptied them like it was nothing. Besides, for me, two drains was not a big deal, after my sleeve I had a leak and ended up with 8 drains and a feeding tube in my belly. In fact, I asked my plastic surgeon to leave my feeding tube scar. She had never had anyone ask her to save a scar lol but it reminds me of how far I've come????.

I promise you, I tell people almost daily that all the pain, drains, long healing time etc is SO WORTH how awesome my body looks now and what it has done to my self esteem!!!

Good luck!! I hope it all works out for you.

Holly

Thank you!

I totally feared the drain, but they weren't nearly as bad as I thought. I had a Tummy Tuck, breast lift/Aug and brachioplasty at the same time. Only needed two drains for the tummy tuck. The first came out in 48 hours and the second 48 hours after that. They hurt like heck coming out, but it was over super quickly!

I totally feared the drain, but they weren't nearly as bad as I thought. I had a Tummy Tuck, breast lift/Aug and brachioplasty at the same time. Only needed two drains for the tummy tuck. The first came out in 48 hours and the second 48 hours after that. They hurt like heck coming out, but it was over super quickly!

So both drains were out in less than a week? Nice! Everyone I talked to told me 7-10days some even 14 days.