Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Consider Follow-Up Support when Choosing a Bariatric Surgeon

You need to find a bariatric surgeon once you decide to get weight loss surgery or you are considering it. Unless your health insurance plan decides on your surgeon for you, you may be trying to choose a surgeon. Make sure you think about your long-term success when you select a surgeon!

There are some things you’re almost certain to consider when deciding on a surgeon. For example, it’s common to wonder about your safety, so you can ask about complication rates and what happens if you have a surgical complication. You’ll almost certainly ask about expected weight loss, too. How much weight does the average patient lose in the first six months and year?

But as important as those questions are, they’re not the only once to ask about. What can determine your short-term success in weight loss, and your long-term success in improving health and preventing weight regain, is the follow-up care you get from your surgeon. The surgeon’s averages are one thing; your own personal stats may be more closely related to the support you get.

Nutritional Support

Nutrition is at the core of Weight Loss Surgery and weight loss. At the very least, your nutritional support after surgery should include a list of foods for each stage of the post-op diet, plus instructions on when to move ahead. That way, you can be confident in your food choices and not have to worry or improvise. A nutritionist can talk about your meals and food choices with you so you know you are on the right track.

When you meet regularly with a nutritionist, you get the chance to troubleshoot. You can discuss plateaus and how to get over them. You can strategize for events like parties where you’ll have to figure out what you can eat. You can learn how to read labels, what to put on your shopping list, and how to make good-tasting and nutritious recipes.< /p>

A nutritionist can also increase accountability, especially when you have regular appointments. If you do not have the luxury of a nutritionist to keep you on track, you can at least keep yourself on track by logging your food on an app.

Psychological Support

Weight loss surgery changes your digestive system permanently, and the surgery comes with a commitment to changing your entire lifestyle. Plus, along the way, you’ll be getting used to major changes in your body as you lose weight, and people may even treat you differently. That’s a lot to deal with, and a mental health professional can walk you through coping strategies.

It’s also a good idea to have a relationship with a mental health professional in case you run into trouble. You may get discouraged at a plateau, or need help as you notice changes in your relationships. You may find yourself developing replacement addictions for food. You may never need a mental health professional, but having one available to you can make your journey easier.

Social Support

Social support is so important that many surgeons require their patients to commit to attending support group meetings for months or years after surgery.

Some groups only meet monthly, and some patients are unable to find groups in their areas. If you need more social support, online forums and groups are worth trying. You don’t get the face-to-face contact, but you do get the benefit of being able to exchange information and provide support from a been-there, done-that perspective. Some Weight Loss Surgery patients actually feel more comfortable sharing certain information when they’re NOT meeting face to face.

If possible, try to choose a surgical package that includes nutritional support, psychological, and other support services. If these services are not covered by your insurance plan or are not included in your self-pay surgery package, consider paying extra to get them. The extra few dollars may be worth it when you realize this support can make the difference between sailing through and struggling after Weight Loss Surgery.

Things that attracted me to my program;

1. They see me on a regular basis throughout the first year.

2. They are available by telephone or email. Their email policy is that someone will get back to you within 2 business days.

3. They encourage both pre and post ops to attend support groups and have them scheduled at various times and locations.

4. They state they are available for follow up care for 5 years post op.

5. They provided a manual that explained the entire process pre - post op. During those first few months any time I was unsure, I consulted my manual. It's very detailed with sample menus, eating plans, etc....

This is precisely why I went with my program - they won't even consider you if you're not willing and eager to do manditory 2 year follow up in psych, exercise physiology, nutrition, and meet with the surgeon monthly for the first 6 months and quarterly thereafter, with unlimited 'as needed' appointments throughout. They also offer support for 5 years beyond the initial 2 if you want it.

If that wasn't impressive enough, they recently started an outreach program for folks who had surgery anywhere that didn't offer the support to enroll them in their aftercare at a fraction of what it actually costs them to run.

And for this reason the Nicholson Clinic is the best!

@losing2win great! The staff is friendly and professional. My surgeon is Dr Nick, I chose him because when I consulted with them I found him to be a straight shooter and I left the seminar clear that sleeve was just a tool and that I had to do my part to succeed.

All the surgeons there are skilled - you are in good hands.

All the best in your journey!

This is precisely why I went with my program - they won't even consider you if you're not willing and eager to do manditory 2 year follow up in psych, exercise physiology, nutrition, and meet with the surgeon monthly for the first 6 months and quarterly thereafter, with unlimited 'as needed' appointments throughout. They also offer support for 5 years beyond the initial 2 if you want it.

If that wasn't impressive enough, they recently started an outreach program for folks who had surgery anywhere that didn't offer the support to enroll them in their aftercare at a fraction of what it actually costs them to run.

Where can I find information on their outreach program? Thank you