Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Newcastle Sleevers?

Hi everyone...

Was wondering if anyone on here is from Newcastle NSW.

I would love a buddy to support each other through this! :)

Hey There, I am from Newcastle, I am due for surgery Dec or Jan, how did you go with yours, how are you travelling now?

Hi Racytracy.

I had my surgery today actually. Feeling a little rubbish but am improving over time.... I'm actually at Gosford hospital (I didn't want to run into anyone I know) and the staff here are amazing. Can't do enough for me and no judgement!

Who's your surgeon??

Oh Wow today huh! I hope it all went well. Do you have that little pain button you can push? I bloody hope i have that lol

I am going thru Dr Page in Crows Nest for mine, same thing didnt really want to do any of it around Newcastle! I think I am going to Concord Hospital at this stage.

Good Luck over the next couple of days, let me know how you are doing :)

No pain button.

But I will tell you this. Not to scare you but to give you hope.

When you wake up you will be in so much pain! They will drug you up and you will go I and out of sleep.

But by nighttime when you are more awake. You will probably barely sleep. Walk!! I did. Nearly every hour I did 2 laps of the hallway ( couldn't manage anymore) and I am feeling so much better today. Still have pain. But it's mostly uncomfortableness. Laying down is worse. Stretches you out.

But I have been laying here thinking how amazing my new life is going to be. Makes me wonder how people can go through this and stretch out their stomach again!!

If you have any questions ever just let me know. Happy to help. Also found a lot of people on here are American and it is done very differently.

Good to hear you starting to feel a bit better, how has your day been? I have read it's hard to even drink at first?

Thanks for the heads up, I have heard its hard at first and I have read so much about it lately and nearly everyone says it is so worth it in the end.

There is a pretty good site called gastricsleevesupport.com which is Australian, it's pretty good if you havent seen it yet.

Did you have to do the Opti fast for 2 weeks before hand? I have so much to lose it's not funny but SO ready to start.

Oh and did you get the gas pain they talk about?

Let's hope tomorrow is an even better day for you

Edited by RacyTracy!

No I couldn't find any dissolvable gas x. Seems to be very much a American thing.

I'm struggling to get down 100 Mls an hour so far. So painful. So I am unfortunately still on a drip.

I actually did Optifast for 4 weeks. I needed to lose 12 kgs to make sure that I my liver was safely shrunk.

I lost 16kgs and my liver was perfect.

I would love to lose 75kgs in total! So I know the feeling of having a lot to lose!

I am in sydney, I went through the O clinic at crows nest and was at the Mater in April......I've lost 50Kgs since then....Its been a fantastic ride so far.

I was in a bit of pain on the second day...but walking around as much as possible certainly helped. (i highly recommend it.)

i am now .5Kgs away from a "healthy" BMI and am sleeping better and living my life with more energy. I don't miss food.

I hope you have a great journey. you won't regret it if it all goes according to plan.

I've found Chobani in a tube is a great meal for Breakfast. now i eat very little but 5-6 times a day.....still tracking at loosing about .5 kgs per week.

Good luck.

Hi Whisper, how are you travelling? Feeling better? How you going with your liquards?

Hi Duncan, wow you've done an amazing job if that's only from April. Well done. I can only hope I'm that successful.

Hey! liquids were hard the first couple of days. Dr said I am a slow healer :( so second day post op was horrible trying to get liquids in. The hospital only gave me apple juice which I couldn't stomach. I managed to get convince to let me dilute it with Water. I have never liked apple juice and it's just so sweet.

I am now home today I can start free liquids. Can't wait for something savoury. I am drinking a lot of sugar free Powerade though.

Pain is basically gone just some discomfort and random gas pain. Also something that I wasn't told by my Drs that helps is to sleep on your left side. I have a pillow there to help. But it gets the gas moving around a bit more.

(My father had his whole stomach removed due to cancer and this is what he was told)

All in all I feel really normal. I have lost so much weight since the start. I'm up to 20kgs! It's worth all the bloody pain the first couple of days!!

Hi there, wow 20kgs already that is amazing, good on you. How you feeling now? Are you getting your liquids in ok now? I'll keep in mind the sleeping on your left side, any help with the gas pain will be great.

Are you still in any pain or all ok now?

I still can't believe 20kgs already, that is a great start that's for sure. Imagine that's like carrying 4 bags of potatoes around lol !!

I know! It's a fantastic start. I'm now up to 22kgs lost!! It's so good. I saw a friend the other day for the first time in ages and she actually walked past me!! Couldn't believe it!

liquids going great. Got the all clear to have 250ml an hour. I've been struggling with ways to measure. Especially in the heat it's hard when your dehydrated not to drink too much. So at Kmart at the moment they have little "sipper jars" just a little mason jar with a straw in it. Exactly 250ml. Much easier to fill and then sip over the hour. Only a $1 too! I don't want to bang on so much about this BUT we had a guest over and we made juice (which is what I normally do in summer) and it didn't seem to raise any question on why I was drinking out of a mason jar. I think cause they are so in. It's so normal.

As for the gas pain. Basically all gone. Sometimes I might get a littler but nothing like the first couple of days. My incision sites are so itchy from healing and have been getting quite sore now that I'm moving around normally. I'm still not lifting anything heavy but one week post op. I feel comfortable going back to work. But that's me.

Thanks so much for the encouragement! It feels so surreal. Ps be prepared to buy new shoes. I've already gone down a size! Haha

It's great to hear your going so well so soon after surgery. I might go out and get one of those jars, I think I have seen them at Glendale recently. I finally got my super through today and paid my surgeon so hopefully I will get a date next week, they seem to just drag it on a bit which sux because I WANT A DATE NOW!!!!

Thank god for the shoe thing, I'm a size 10 so to go down a size would be awesome lol

Going back to work after just a week you are killin it girl, good on you!!

Well keep me informed with how you are going, can't wait to see that number going down for you :D it must feel great and well worth the pain.

Hi, not from Newcastle but close from Gosford. I am going in to have my sleeve on the 11th May. We are off on a cruise next week for our wedding anniversary, then when I get back on 30th April I go on Optifast till the 11th. I am excited and scared! Looking forward to getting this weight off! I had to laugh when they ask how long have you been overweight, my answer is ALWAYS! Like everyone else have had success with diets, then all the weight is put back on, so sick of that cycle, I want something that is going to be forever. I know it won't be easy, but am determined to make it happen.

Went to a reformer pilates class last night and really enjoyed it, can't wait till I don't feel so uncomfortable.

Love to keep in touch with you all and any tips or advice would be appreciated.

:)