Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Happy Labor Day from BariatricPal! - 2015

Happy Labor Day from BariatricPal!#subject#>

body,div,dl,dt,dd,ul,ol,li,h1,h2,h3,h4,h5,h6,pre,form,fieldset,input,textarea,p,blockquote,th,td { margin:0; padding:0; }

table { border-collapse:collapse; border-spacing:0; }

fieldset,img { border:0; }

address,caption,cite,code,dfn,th,var { font-style:normal; font-weight:normal; }

caption,th { text-align:left; }

h1,h2,h3,h4,h5,h6 { font-size:100%; font-weight:normal; }

q:before,q:after { content:''; }

abbr,acronym { border:0; }

address{ display: inline; }

html, body {

background-color: #d8dde8;

color: #5a5a5a;

}

body {

font: normal 13px helvetica, arial, sans-serif;

position: relative;

}

h3, strong { font-weight: bold; }

em { font-style: italic; }

img, .input_check, .input_radio { vertical-align: middle; }

legend { display: none; }

table { width: 100%; }

td { padding: 3px; }

a {

color: #225985;

text-decoration: none;

}

a:hover { color: #328586; }

div.outer { margin: 0 auto; padding: 14px; }

table.wrap { max-width: 800px; margin: 0 auto; }

td.logo {

background-color: #0f3854;

padding: 8px;

}

td.content {

background-color: #fff;

font-size: 14px !important;

color: black !important;

line-height: 150% !important;

padding: 8px;

}

ul {

margin-left: 25px;

}

Hey BariatricPal Members,

Happy Labor Day! It’s the last official chance to throw a summer party, go to a parade, and if you’re lucky, see a few fireworks. It’s a good chance to make sure you give summer a healthy send-off and you greet autumn with healthy intentions…and that’s what we hope this newsletter does. Here’s what you’ll find.

• Packing Your Labor Day Picnic Basket
  • Getting Back into the Groove
  • Enjoying the New You – A Reminder

Have a great time going through the newsletter, and also have a great and healthy holiday. Happy Labor Day from BariatricPal!

Sincerely,

Alex Brecher

Founder, BariatricPal

Packing Your Labor Day Picnic Basket

Going on a picnic this Labor Day? It’s a nice idea if you’re going to watch a parade, take the family to the park, or watch fireworks later on. Here’s how you can get in a good meal without going off your WLS diet.

Picnic Favs You Can Eat

Picnics tend to have a lot of food you can’t eat, at least, not if you’re serious about losing weight. Fried chicken, tuna salad subs, and potato chips just aren’t on the diet. But there’s no reason you can’t make your own picnic favs! Have grilled chicken or baked “fried” chicken coated with high-fiber Cereal instead of breadcrumbs, or make tuna lettuce wraps instead of tuna salad sandwiches. Instead of potato chips? Try baked kale chips. You can round out your basket with Proteins and veggies like hard-boiled eggs, fat-free refried bean dip, salad, and cut raw carrots, cucumbers, and celery sticks.

Prepared Salads…The Healthy Way

It’s not a picnic unless it has Pasta salad. Just skip the pasta! Take your favorite pasta salad recipe and make a few small changes.

• Use cooked zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash instead of pasta.
  • Substitute fat-free Italian dressing for full-fat dressing, or use Dijon or spicy brown mustard as your main flavor.
  • Add plenty of veggies, such as cherry tomatoes, green onions, and broccoli florets.
  • Add some sliced olives for a little healthy fat and a lot of flavor.
  • Add low-fat feta or diced lean pastrami for some flavorful Protein.< /li>

You can always healthify other traditional prepared salads, too.

• Use cooked cauliflower instead of potatoes in potato salad.
  • Toss shredded cabbage with low-fat Asian dressing instead of mayo for coleslaw.
  • Use Greek yogurt or fat-free mayo instead of full-fat mayo when making tuna or other salads.

The “Extras” Can Fit into Your WLS Diet

The “extras” at a picnic can be high-sugar, high-calorie, and devastating to your weight loss efforts. drinks like soft drinks and sweet tea, and Desserts like brownies and chocolate chip Cookies, can set you back by days, not to mention make you feel sick.

Be sure to pack plenty of cold Water to drink. Also, bring some appetizing fresh fruit to eat instead of sugary, fatty desserts. Apples and oranges are about as easy as it gets, but you could also make a red, white, and blue fruit salad with strawberries, white peaches, and blueberries.

Getting Back into the Groove

Summer is a little more relaxed than the rest of the year. Even if you’re not a student or teacher who gets an extended summer break, the season is a little slower moving. It’s easy to lose focus. Your diet may get a little less strict, or you might have trouble getting out the door for a workout in the summer heat, or you may be a little less aggressive about being on the phone with the insurance company or finding the right surgeon for your WLS.

After Labor Day, that all changes. Now that kids are back in school and people are back from vacation and going back to their regular schedules, it’s time to take a look at your own schedule. Did you hit your summer goals? Are you following your WLS diet to a “T?” If you haven’t had surgery yet, are you doing everything you can to get it scheduled and paid for?

Think Back and Ahead

Think back over the past couple of months. Were there some times when you knew you weren’t making the best choice for your health, like when you went out for ice cream and got your own scoop instead of bringing an apple to munch on? Did you skip a few workouts? Did you get out of the habit of measuring your food? Did you stop making phone calls to the insurance company because you just couldn’t face being on the phone anymore?

Plan Your Schedule

With everything starting up all at once, things can get pretty hectic. That gives you the opportunity to create a new schedule for yourself. You can be sure to include the things that are important to your new healthy lifestyle, such as time for cooking at least once a week, and going to the gym a few times a week.

Sometimes it seems hard, but success is largely a question of building a habit. The sooner you get started, the sooner your healthy behaviors will be habit. You won’t have to think about making the “right” decisions, and it’ll be easier for the weight to come off!

Enjoying the New You – A Reminder

The WLS journey is hard, no question. You form new eating habits, give up some favorite foods, develop new relationships with food and sometimes with people. You may spend a lot more time thinking about your health and acting on those thoughts.

With all that hard work, we thought we should take a second to remind you to enjoy the rewards! There are probably some victories you can’t help but notice and Celebrate, like hitting milestones on the scale. But don’t bury yourself so deep in the daily choices that you forget to enjoy the journey.

Notice how much better you feel when you’re sitting in the car, or how much easier it is to push the shopping cart around the grocery store. Notice how much easier it is to spend time with your kids, friends, and other people. You can even appreciate your changes in mentality, from “I can’t,” “I’m not worth it,” and “Maybe I shouldn’t be eating this pizza, ” to “I can,” “I deserve it just as much as everyone else,” and “I’m so proud of myself for enjoying these carrot sticks!”

Thanks for reading the newsletter and making BariatricPal part of your Labor Day weekend. Have a healthy, happy, and safe holiday, and thanks for your support!

open.php?u=14368495&id=c98503be463a44f98