Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had bypass on July 26, 2016. I'm 6-7 weeks out. I'm diabetic. I was on Metformin and insulin of 4-6 injections a day. Since surgery, dr has taken me off insulin. Now my sugars are still running close 150- 175. One of the main reasons I had my survey was to get off these MEDS. Now I'm afraid that I might have to go back on them cause it's not controlled. Sometimes I can't eat due to nausea really bad. When you don't eat, blood sugars go up. I've been struggling these past few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It's only been 2 months . As the weight comes off your blood sugar will get better. It has already gotten much better I'm sure since you are off the insulin. It will get better. The more uncontrolled the blood sugar , the longer it takes . Everyone is different . Stay positive u will see the benefits

Hi everyone, I'm a diabetes also and have been for a long time, just had my surgery on the 20th of this month. My numbers was running 180 to 240 and my A1C is at 9.8. Well right now my numbers are running 110 to 170 now and I pray it goes in remission by the time I go for my 2 weeks doctors app.

With your diabetes, DS would be the best chance of going into remission. Diabetes is never cured.

Chance of remission:

DS - 97%

RNY - 75%

Sleeve - 50%

It will be harder to find a surgeon who does DS, you might have to travel for your surgery, but the chance of getting and staying in remission will be worth it.

@@godblessedchild please don't get down on yourself if it's not in remission that fast. If you've been a diabetic for any length of time, and at 9.8 I'm guessing you were, it will take time. Exercise once you are able is key. I gained full control of my diabetes, going from 10.9 at surgery to 5.6 in 6 months after surgery only having lost 50lbs (only need to lose 75 to be at goal weight from starting weight, and am now 4 pounds from goal weight after 10 months) but the weight lifting and exercise is what has gotten me the best control over my sugars. Surgery is a tool, you have to do the work though.

@@MaryCatherine please see above as I have mentioned I have gone into remission using the sleeve. As my surgeon told me, it's only partially related to the surgery, the largest part is up to us and our day to day lives and how hard we work. In my case, weight lifting and cardio/HIIT training has the biggest affect on my blood sugars.

@@MaryCatherine please see above as I have mentioned I have gone into remission using the sleeve. As my surgeon told me, it's only partially related to the surgery, the largest part is up to us and our day to day lives and how hard we work. In my case, weight lifting and cardio/HIIT training has the biggest affect on my blood sugars.

You were one of the lucky 50%. I had RNY, lost all excess weight, follow diabetic food plan, lift weights and do cardio and I am one of the unlucky 25% whose diabetes never went into remission. If I could do it over I would have DS.

Hi shayshay85.. I had RNY but also had type 2 diabetes and took Metformin 2 x a day! Notice I said " had" :) I am almost finished with my diabetic medication ..it has been reduced to a 1/2 pill once a day as well as my blood pressure meds...there can be significant results to major health problems after this surgery!. And I couldn't be happier!!. New lease on life!!. Good luck to you!!.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I was on insulin for 30 years before my surgery. I am now 3.5 months post RNY surgery. My doc said it was unlikely that I would be able to give up insulin completely but last week he took me off insulin.

I now take a combined Metformin/Forxigia tablet and am watching my sugars, They still go up a bit too much if I eat any carbs but my doc says it is going to take time for my body to get used to coping on its own again.

So as long as my sugars dont exceed a certain point in the hour - 2 hours after meals I am fine. So far I seem to be doing okay. I will most likely be on medication my whole life and have to be strict about carb intake but it is worth it to be rid of insulin.

I am about half way to my goal weight now. I guess I will know when I get closer to my goal if I can give up the tablets or not.

Hello everyone,

As so many of us, I had type 2 diabetes and was on maximum dose of Metformin with an HBA1c of 9.5. My GP was ready to put me on insulin. Had the op on 4 Feb 2014. Three months post-op HBA1c was down to 7.4; for the past two years it has held steady between 5.0 and 5.2. I have never taken any meds since the op and have had blood tests every three months. As of last time, my GP has informed me that I may consider my diabetes is not only in remission but that I may consider it cured and blood tests were now only required every six months - woohoo! I don't think it's the op alone that helps put the diabetes right, but as the weight comes off we get more active and either exercise or at least walk more. And that is helping immensely, together with our new and improved eating habits.

I am new to this forum and will have a nose-round to find the appropriate category to properly introduce myself and maybe post a couple of before and after pics.

Have a good evening everyone.

Chimurenga

+++

My surgeon said that RNY was a no brainer due to my diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I still have the Apnea and went from 2000 mg Metformin and 70 Units Lantis and 30 Units Novolog to 250 mg Metforman twice a day. My surgery was 20 October 2016, I am off the insulin and I hope when I go back to see my primary in March 2017 that she takes me off the Metformin.

I was told that I will probably always be on the CPAP machine and also my primary said she wants me back on cholesterol meds just because they can prevent heart disease. To me, if my BP, weight and diabetes is under control, why should I go back on meds that I don't need?