Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

61 and Getting Sleeved 9/15-need a hand to hold!

If it is something you REALLY want and want to commit to lifelong changes, then go for it!! I am 14 months post op and will be 62 next week. My only regret is that I didn't do this when I was younger. I had the bypass (which is a totally different story) but have NEVER regretted it. Good luck!

I am 52 and I had the sleeve 4 mos ago today. I also wished I had done this earlier. no regrets!!

I am 63 and was sleeved in April 2013. I have no regrets and am glad I chose the sleeve over by pass. I have not reached my doctors goal weight but have lost 90 pounds. It was a slow weight loss and I did very little exercise (shame on me). I am able to walk pain free and can really enjoy the things I love; gardening and travel. Prepare yourself for a lifetime commitment. I will never drink soft drinks or caffeinated drinks of any kind. I eat small meals and have to watch out for those sliders like ice cream that go down so easily. My tastes have changed and I no longer like beef of any sort. A picture of a grilled steak makes me queasy. I cannot tolerate bread, Pasta or rice which is ok since they were never my favorites. I drink a Protein Drink at least once a day and have learned to make Protein smoothies that are a great substitute for the ice cream I love. If you have a specific question, let me know. Follow your doctors instructions and you will be fine!

I'm 65 and had surgery may 20th. No regrets and feeling great.

Your age is no big whoop.YOU ARE TAKING CHARGE!!!!Thats what is important...get it done and live the rest of your life slimmer,healthy and actively happier...a sleek silver fox!Go for it!!!!

advice on any related topic? want to do and really succeed LONG TERM!

@@Missy Ellen

one month post i op i turnd 58 years OLD

i am now 61 yearsYOUNG

you have 2 weeks to start practicing eating and drinking et al

eat lots of Protein

drink at least 64 oz of Water a day :)

never drink with your meals

stop drinking about 30 minutes before you eat

wait 45-60 minutes after you eat

chew slowly

measure your food

keep records of what you eat

measurement your food

all these mentioned above keep track with MFP

or any other food tracker

take pictures during your transformation

just a few of the many rules to live by

At the end of the day

only follow the rules/time of what your NUT/surgeon tell you

never compare your weight loss, time period or ANYTHING to others :angry:

good luck

speedy recovery

kathy

Hi ladies! I had my sleeve done 2 days ago!! I'm still in the hospital. So easy! I had it done at Tobey Hospital in Wareham Ma, by Dr. Rachael Jones. They keep you for 2 night and take incredible care of you. Small hospitals that have an extensive bariatric surgery program are a great alternative to large city hospitals. They're usually much more quiet and their ratio of patients to nursing staff is better.. Small hospital = attentive service and quiet, healing atmospheres. They were all great!thank you!

@@Missy Ellen

september 15th surgery

2 days PO!!!!

how are you feeling :)

hope you are well

side effects???

gas, bathroom issues

tired et al??

that's normal

hope things are going well :rolleyes:

things usually get better day by day

speedy recovery

kathy

Glad you are doing well. My surgery/recovery was remarkably easy. I do remember gas pains which was expected and lasted a very short time. I had trouble drinking even the small amount I was instructed to consume. Follow your doctors instructions and you will do great.

@@Missy Ellen

september 15th surgery

2 days PO!!!!

how are you feeling :)

hope you are well

side effects???

gas, bathroom issues

tired et al??

that's normal

hope things are going well :rolleyes:

things usually get better day by day

speedy recovery

kathy

Hi folks-well it's been 5 weeks since my sleeve and it's been challenging to find things I can eat that don't either stick in my chest or go right through me. I'm getting sick of yogurt, cottage cheese, pudding, chicken broth and Water. I hate the taste of all those diet drinks. I had sea bass the other night at a restaurant and it went right through me. (I had about 3-4 tbs). Now I'm afraid to eat in restaurants. Is it too early to be eating Real food, in a restaurant? Will this ever get better? I'm always full of gas, probably because I'm not eating very much. Will that get better? I had a piece of cheese and some pudding with some fat free "kool whip" type stuff on it and now I'm having those intestinal gurgles, so I know what's next! Why??? Help please? I'll talk to my Surgeon Tuesday for my 6 week check up, but hear real experiences really help! Thanks!!

Thanks GetJolly@aol.com for continuing to post and advise all us Newbies. I haven't even had my surgery yet and am scouring this site for all the information I can to be well prepared. Glad to see there's some out there that have many years "under their belt", so to speak haha. We need you !!

Missy Ellen hope your recovery is going well and that some of your issues have been resolved. We'll be waiting for an update! Congratulations for going through with one of the most important things you'll ever do for yourself.