Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgeon gave me the ok to eat anything now. I have been craving popcorn like crazy. Not the real bad stuff at the theaters, but just some air popped with a little butter and salt. How soon after surgery until any of you attempted it, and how well did it go down? Just curious. Kind of afraid to try it.

I am 28 months post-op RNY and I eat popcorn sometimes when I am in the movie theater - the good kind with plenty of butter.

I eat air popped popcorn about 3-4 times a week. I asked the nutritionist and she said it is fine after the first 3 months.

I was told i could eat popcorn 6 weeks out ...and can't wait!

I have alse ate popcorn a couple times at the theater and it was amazing! Of course I could only eat about a cup, but it satisified the craving.

I had popcorn at 7 weeks (1 week early) It was pan popped with butter flavored salt. I ate three pieces then waited 10 minutes before continuing. I managed to eat a coffee cups worth and have enjoyed popcorn several times since. Just go slow and make sure you can handle it. I have avoided butter but have used a couple sprays of "I can't believe it's margarine"(ha ha)

I think what everyone can and can't tolerate after surgery is different.

Things I can't eat (don't agree with me)

Pork - I will eat it on occasion but it is hard to digest. I can feel it stuck for a few hours after surgery. Probably need to chew it better. Sometimes It will not go down at all and I end up having to throw it up.

Milk & ice cream - This is a weird one I did not develop this until about 4 years post op. I remember vividly eating Sonic banana split blasts almost every night while I was pregnant for my son, 3 years post op. I also ate Cereal daily while I was pregnant. I thought being pregnant did it, but my dr assured me it is most likely from the surgery. I can eat cheese with no problem.

Sweets are hit and miss - I am still trying to figure out what makes me feel bad eating some types and not others. I think this mostly has to do with maintaining blood sugar levels. I never had a problem with this until after the surgery. Sometimes, not all the time if I eat something sweet about an hour later, I will start feeling bad, get really hungry, sweat, shakey. I have to eat something sweet again, but a better choice or just a couple bites. The first thing spikes my blood sugar then it drops too low.

You get a feel of what and how much you can tolerate of certain things. If I really want ice cream or Cereal, I know I can have a few bites, I eat them slowly and pay attention to my body. My advice, don't be afraid of everything. Try one new thing at a time and a small amount. Sometimes eat the same thing 6 times and be fine, that 7th time your body says NOOOOO. I think it may have to do with overall diet, times of day etc.