Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone into mountain bikes ?

I briefly dabbled with it years ago......looked like a freaking circus act, though. My big arse balancing on a seat made for a much smaller hombre.

There is a nice path to ride less than five miles from the house. Along the path there are several exits where riders peel off onto technical trails. I always stayed on the easy riding flat path.

Hopefully by this winter I'll be a much lighter post-op version of myself.

A buddy told me that I'll want to sell my very lightly used five year old bike and buy a new "Twenty-niner"

Evidently the market is now moving from 26" to 29" .

He said it'd make a huge amount of difference.......I don't know. It'll be fun wheeling my current Trek into the shop for them to go over everything and make sure it's ready to ride again.....soon.

Any of you ride at all ?

I briefly dabbled with it years ago......looked like a freaking circus act, though. My big arse balancing on a seat made for a much smaller hombre.

There is a nice path to ride less than five miles from the house. Along the path there are several exits where riders peel off onto technical trails. I always stayed on the easy riding flat path.

Hopefully by this winter I'll be a much lighter post-op version of myself.

A buddy told me that I'll want to sell my very lightly used five year old bike and buy a new "Twenty-niner"

Evidently the market is now moving from 26" to 29" .

He said it'd make a huge amount of difference.......I don't know. It'll be fun wheeling my current Trek into the shop for them to go over everything and make sure it's ready to ride again.....soon.

Any of you ride at all ?

I have an expensive Specialized mountain bike. I've only ridden it twice, but mostly because I don't have anyone to go with and don't know where to go away from the roads.

I bought a new bike 6 weeks ago! I love to ride now that my arse isn't too big for the seat. I am up to riding 3-4 times a week, and gone up to 20 miles a trip. I average 8-10 on week nights. But ride farther on the weekends. Feels great to be riding again. I have all sorts of new energy now, and really need to continue working on toning away the excess from weight loss. I don't want surgery to tighten anything when I get to goal! I had my longest stall right before I bought my bike. Took a few, but the weight started coming off again - great decision!

I have a hybrid bike that I have kept for 30+ years waiting for the moment that will happen in about three weeks, which is being 100# down and finally it will be safe enough to ride my bike again. I have lost over 90#, just bought a new bike helmet, ordered BIGFOOT brand pedals (size 17 feet), and am getting some rust off my chain. My bike is a very large frame, made for people 6'4" and over. I am very excited about this, I live in an area with lots of trails here in Colorado.

Yip, but not the crazy the technical trails, easy flat ones and around the campgrounds and lakes. It sure is fun to get out though.

Yip, but not the crazy the technical trails, easy flat ones and around the campgrounds and lakes. It sure is fun to get out though.

Tiller, was there a point in your weight loss where riding got alot easier? At over 330 and certainly over 400, I was too top heavy to safely ride, but am almost able to ride again... can't wait.

Hi John , yes I had to get down to #270 before I was willing to try riding again. It is a lot easyer at 250# now!!!

Tiller, was there a point in your weight loss where riding got alot easier? At over 330 and certainly over 400, I was too top heavy to safely ride, but am almost able to ride again... can't wait.

Dub, the quality of the shocks wIl become very important, just to keep wheels on the ground.

It's fun, but wait until you are close to goal before you splurge

Dub, the quality of the shocks wIl become very important, just to keep wheels on the ground.

It's fun, but wait until you are close to goal before you splurge

I agree and will follow that advice, no doubt.

I've got my older Trek to use as I get back into once I'm much closer.

just bought a new mountain bike a few months ago, as others said, now that my ass can fit on the seat!

just bought a new mountain bike a few months ago, as others said, now that my ass can fit on the seat!

What kind did you buy?

This is going to be some fun money to save up for and spend......a new bike.

Looking forward to maybe this time next year to be looking into the matter seriously.

@@Dub - I'm looking for a new road bike and holy cow bikes have improved. Carbon Fiber shock reduction is great for my back side. I went for a ride with a friend, last time I did 15 miles (which was when I was 44, 8 years ago) I was dead tired. However yesterday's ride was great. I know I'm smaller and in better shape, but the improvement in bikes is fantastic. You don't need the latest and greatest, but if you are writing off bike riding because of problems with bikes from 10-20 years ago, take some time to look again.

@@Dub - I'm looking for a new road bike and holy cow bikes have improved. Carbon Fiber shock reduction is great for my back side. I went for a ride with a friend, last time I did 15 miles (which was when I was 44, 8 years ago) I was dead tired. However yesterday's ride was great. I know I'm smaller and in better shape, but the improvement in bikes is fantastic. You don't need the latest and greatest, but if you are writing off bike riding because of problems with bikes from 10-20 years ago, take some time to look again.

Sounds great !!!!

When I bought my current Trek several years back.....the 29'ers were just starting to come out.

I also saw some bikes in the store with rear suspensions that looked liked they were tremendously shock absorbing.

I'm really intrigued and look forward to the times ahead. I imagine by the time I'm ready to bike shop I'll be camping at the bit for some outdoor cardio as the dreadmills and ellipticals of the gym will be growing old.