Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Here I am...again...starting anew.

Here I am...AGAIN...embarrassed, disappointed, and ashamed...but I am starting anew.

By background:

I was always very active for most of my life (farming, basketball, weight training, intramural sports, and high school/ college marching bands) and at 5' 11" tall, I weighed between 165-185 pounds during my "lean" years. BUT about 12 years ago that all changed. I started packing on the pounds due to various physical and emotional reasons.

I tried countless diets, exercises, pills, and weight-loss fads, but to no avail. The number on the scale kept rising. I don't know what clicked...maybe it was being diagnosed with the beginning stages of Congestive Heart Failure...but sometime during the middle of 2010 I took the plunge and had Lap-Band weight loss surgery on November 3, 2010. I worked hard to lose the weight with help from the Lap-Band, exercise, and the support of my wife, friends, and extended family. I did great and lost 115 pounds within 2 years...

Unfortunately, the weight loss didn't last. I began to develop ulcers and other gastro issues and began to gain weight back (even though I had good restriction). I eventually had to have the band completely emptied...which resulted in me gaining all of my weight back (and more).

So, here I am...AGAIN...

I am currently in the process of having the Gastric Sleeve revision surgery. I have gone to another seminar, filled out all of the necessary paperwork, turned in medical records, and have my nutrition and mental health evaluations scheduled for next week. So, I should be having my surgery sometime in the next 4 weeks or so...fingers crossed.

I want to zip-line, go on hikes, ride in airplanes, and buy whatever clothes I want (and not be limited by the poor selections in Big & Tall sections). I have a lot more living and dreaming to do, so I am ready to do the work to lose the weight again.

Any support and advice is much appreciated.

Thanks for listening.

I too am having my Sleeve put in on 9/18. Like you I had a lap band put in and lost 100lbs. But I felt very uncomfortable with it and tired of the vomitting it made me do. I am hoping you have a great exspirance with it and continue on your journey. Keep in touch and let me know how you are doing.

xlawman

I too am having my Sleeve put in on 9/18. Like you I had a lap band put in and lost 100lbs. But I felt very uncomfortable with it and tired of the vomitting it made me do. I am hoping you have a great exspirance with it and continue on your journey. Keep in touch and let me know how you are doing.

xlawman

Thanks for the response and kind words. Good luck with your sleeve surgery on 9/18!!!

Isn't it the worst when you gain weight back, and those pounds invite all their friends to come to the party too? Sheesh!

You can do this. We want to see ziplining pics of you!

Isn't it the worst when you gain weight back, and those pounds invite all their friends to come to the party too? Sheesh!

You can do this. We want to see ziplining pics of you!

It is the worst. I hate those party crashers!!! lol.

Thanks so much! If I ever zipline I will post pics.

My story is the same as yours. I revised to a sleeve and went from 256 to 132. I'm currently working on getting off the regain I put on in the last year. If I can't get back to goal I may consider a DS but think I can do it and would prefer to avoid mal absorption. I'm seeing my doctor, who had a bypass and works on maintenance herself, for the regain. She requires Protein Shakes and low carb in her program.

Please don't be ashamed of anything. I don't know you but it makes me sad you feel this way. Remember this is not easy!! I'm 52 and I've lost and gained 100s of lbs. We are fighters and from reading your post you are a competitor and not ready to throw in the towel! Keep your eye on the prize! You are a winner!

My story is the same as yours. I revised to a sleeve and went from 256 to 132. I'm currently working on getting off the regain I put on in the last year. If I can't get back to goal I may consider a DS but think I can do it and would prefer to avoid mal absorption. I'm seeing my doctor, who had a bypass and works on maintenance herself, for the regain. She requires Protein shakes and low carb in her program.

Did you revise from lap band to sleeve? If so, which did you like better?

Good luck with your continued journey!! I have faith you can get back to goal.

Please don't be ashamed of anything. I don't know you but it makes me sad you feel this way. Remember this is not easy!! I'm 52 and I've lost and gained 100s of lbs. We are fighters and from reading your post you are a competitor and not ready to throw in the towel! Keep your eye on the prize! You are a winner!

Thank you so much. You are very kind and I appreciate the encouragement!!!

You won't regret your decision to revise to the sleeve. My wife initially had Lap-Band. She lost a lot of weight, but was totally miserable the entire time. When I decided to have surgery, I definitely didn't want the band, I went with sleeve. I had a very positive experience, almost no problems. When my wife's band eventually failed, she went with the sleeve and has had very few problems since. She also lost a lot more weight.

You won't regret your decision to revise to the sleeve. My wife initially had Lap-Band. She lost a lot of weight, but was totally miserable the entire time. When I decided to have surgery, I definitely didn't want the band, I went with sleeve. I had a very positive experience, almost no problems. When my wife's band eventually failed, she went with the sleeve and has had very few problems since. She also lost a lot more weight.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds a lot like mine. My wife didn't want the lap band either after she saw my struggles with it. She plans to have sleeve surgery as well, but has to go through the 6 months for insurance first.

My mother and her friend had the revision surgery too. They gained their weight back too. Don't worry, they're doing great now. Keeping the weight off is much more sustainable with the sleeve. Promise. My mom is actually down to her goal size. Just remember when you do get your appetite back- even if the food is good don't push yourself to keep eating more. That'll stretch it. You can do it. Just have confidence and believe in yourself. You are not the only one- it's become quite common with the band. You'll get back where you need to be and you'll be feeling great in no time.

My mother and her friend had the revision surgery too. They gained their weight back too. Don't worry, they're doing great now. Keeping the weight off is much more sustainable with the sleeve. Promise. My mom is actually down to her goal size. Just remember when you do get your appetite back- even if the food is good don't push yourself to keep eating more. That'll stretch it. You can do it. Just have confidence and believe in yourself. You are not the only one- it's become quite common with the band. You'll get back where you need to be and you'll be feeling great in no time.

Thank you so much for your kindness and encouragement. I am ready to have the revision surgery. Just waiting on my surgery date.

I now have a surgery date of November 20th. :D

That is so awesome!!!!! Good luck. I am here for you through this!!!! ????????????