Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PCOS and the Sleeve

Hey there. I am having my surgery in one week! So excited! I was wondering if anyone else is choosing this road to help with their PCOS?

Meeeee! Just kidding. I'm having the surgery to remain healthy, but was wondering if it will help with my most undesirable PCOS symptoms, insulin resistance and facial hair. Hope someone knowledgeable "chimes in"!

I'm in the same boat as Misha. I'm pursuing it for other reasons, but have my fingers crossed that it will also help my PCOS and its ugly symptoms. I think at most we can place hope in the potential of WLS to aid with PCOS+symptoms, but I'm personally too pragmatic to get my hopes up for 100% resolution for 100% of all PCOS symptoms/side effects alone :(

From my understanding and time spent googling studies and such, the odds are in our favor to see a lot of the irregularities and problems brought about by PCOS disappear (i.e. regularity, fertility, hormonal re-balancing or w/e...), but nothing indicates that PCOS+symptoms are resolved 100% of the time. I think stats I found were roughly around 70-85% resolution following WLS (note: none of the studies I found seemed to be conducted on more than 1-2 dozen subjects w/observations generally spanning 2-2.5 years).

It may be worth noting that none of the studies I came across gave any detail regarding whether or not patients developed PCOS following weight gain or had symptoms prior to obesity... I think this information would be valuable to know -- since you don't necessarily have to be overweight to develop PCOS in the first place... **This is where I try to keep my hope for 100% symptom resolution, lol. Like "Maybe the 15-30% that didn't see improvements in their PCOS were just genetically predisposed to it in the first place"?

If anything - I'd like to think: "since my PCOS developed in correlation with inches on my waist line and lbs on the scale" and as my androgen levels and other fun hormonal things went out of balance, that tilting the scale back in the opposite direction should logically reverse some of these effects. I think it's good to hope and to know that if concerns are for fertility/regularity -- that things are in our favor. :)

However, one grey area that remains for me is with the smaller stuff such as break-outs and even worse - the unwanted hair growth :P I believe that acne problems should subside as my body changes and as I improve my health. I can actually place more blind faith in this. However, I have known 2 people who have had bypass 2+ years ago and know that while fertility and stuff did improve, they still have problems with unwanted hair growth... If anyone has seen resolution of this symptom as well following weight loss or WLS, I'd really like to know!?

At present, I've retained a shred of hope that the Hair growth will slow/disappear based solely on me preferring to think that maybe these two women were just genetically prone to growing fur or bristles... Another part of me thinks that while the hair growth may have been encouraged by PCOS, that getting my hormones and stuff back in check isn't necessarily going to tell those already established hair follicles or w/e to go away. For this reason, I'm probably best off planning to pay for laser hair removal on these areas after PCOS (hopefully) is resolved D:

Note: I'm only pre-op though and know we would all love to see a collection of responses from post-op patients that had great success from hair to fertility :P

I'm in the same boat. I'm hoping that it lessens the side effects of my PCOS and of course to be healthy. I have had infertility issues and my doctor recommended the surgery. I have my surgery on September 14 and I'm hoping things go good and long term the PCOS lessens. I also just read a paper about how women with PCOS at 40 have a very high chance of getting diabetes regardless of your weight. So hopefully this will help prevent the diabetes.

I don't think it will help with the hair...aside from the weight that's the one symptom that bothers me. I've done a lot of reading on it. So while most of the others are almost eliminated that one stays ;(

ive had pcos since puberty ive also been overweight since puberty so hoping my symptoms will lesson or go away. i want to start a family eventually and cant due that because my body refuses to fertilize my eggs

ive had pcos since puberty ive also been overweight since puberty so hoping my symptoms will lesson or go away. i want to start a family eventually and cant due that because my body refuses to fertilize my eggs

I've had PCOS since puberty too. Way before they knew a lot about it. I have 2 children with the help of Clomid. There is hope.

Edited by cindyw41

I have PCOS as well and I am having my first consult this Tuesday with a surgeon about getting the sleeve. I am very excited and hope to have my surgery within 2 MONTHS. Good luck with your surgery and keep us updated. :)

Wow I've read about clomid maybe once I lose the weight I can take it and try to have kids