Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Argument for Surgeon as to Why I Want the Bypass

Hi everyone, I am fairly new here and should complete my requirements within the next two months for surgery. I want gastric bypass for several reasons, most of which is the fact that four of my friends had it years ago and are still doing great. I also work well with “aversion therapy” – if any type of unhealthy “junk” food will give me dumping syndrome, I will stay away from it a long time. My mom has GERD, and my father had it as well. Genetically I am concerned about it.

I attended a nutrition class last week with ten people, and we went around the room to state our name and the type of surgery we were having. The other nine said they have been cleared for the sleeve. I was shocked. I heard from a friend yesterday when speaking to her doctor in another city that the hospital I’m working through is pushing the sleeve procedure on everyone. I am trying not to get discouraged, but I have put a year into the hospital program and am going to be really upset if they try pulling that on me. If I have to start the whole process over through another clinic… I try not to think about it.

Do you have any regrets of having the bypass versus sleeve? What facts/argument can you make for me to state my case for RNY vs. Sleeve to the doctor? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

You have a family history of GERD. In general RNY gastric bypass surgery is normally recommended for GERD patients because a sleeve will only make the condition worse. RNY has a longer track record than sleeve. It has been around longer.

Generally the surgeon leaves the decision of which type of surgery to the patient. But they do make intelligent recommendations. So if the surgeon is pushing sleeve, listen to his arguments and then make up your mind.

This doctor is pushing the sleeve on everyone? That raises a red flag for me. The Bypass is the golden standard in WLS, so if this guy is trying to push the sleeve on everyone instead of the RNY, that seems a bit odd to me. It immediately makes me wonder how many sleeve and RNY operations he has performed, and the success rates of both. It would also bring into question for me his confidence level of performing the RNY. If he has a low confidence level in RNY and that is causing him to push the sleeve, I would definitely seek out another surgeon.

Many people have GERD, or history of it, or the potential for it. I, for example, have terrible GERD and Barrett's, so after a few tests my bariatric surgeon and my thoracic surgeon (I also had a hiatal hernia) both said straight out that I was not a candidate for the sleeve. Many people who have never had GERD wind up getting it post-op, so if your family has a history of it, I would highly recommend researching on the net why the sleeve is so bad for people with GERD, and I would also highly recommend RNY instead. You can always get the sleeve now and get a revision to RNY later on if GERD becomes a problem, but why do two surgeries when you can just do one to take care of it all?

I guess first I would just talk to your prospective surgeon(s) to hear what their thoughts are, and then move forward from there.

Possible that he can get more sleeves in in one day? Sounds awful but I have heard of this stuff before.

Also the long term effects of the sleeve are not really known. And the sleeve is only restrictive. My advice is get what is going to work for you. If you feel that RNY is what will work for you. Then don't be afraid to go with another surgeon. I would think that the dietary period would transfer over to another surgeon. You have to live with the results of this the rest of your life the surgeon does not.

My surgeon does almost all sleeves. Why? Probably because the sleeve is extremely effective and has fewer complications. Definitely learn as much as you can about all the procedures and talk with your surgeon about what is best for you.

Be your own advocate! Don't get the sleeve if your research and instincts tell you to get the bypass. I've worked in the medical field for almost 20years and can tell you all surgeons aren't created the same. It will suck to have to change doctors at this stage but you have to live with this decision while your surgeons is on to the next patient or making more money off performing a second surgery. My surgeons does sleeves and bypasses based on his patients needs. Be cautious with any surgeon that performs mostly just one type.

I got the bypass and it's awesome! It's your body get what you want. I had gerd and it helped a lot. I didn't want the sleeve because I read the weight loss was better with bypass. But I am sure there are many of you that did amazing on the sleeve ;) I have no experience with the sleeve so I am most definitely biased. Lol

My surgeon is the Director of Bariatric Surgery for Einstein Hospital in Philadelphia, and has performed thousands of Bariatric surgeries. He was even featured in an article done by ABC news. He sat down with me and asked ME what I wanted to have done. Of course I asked what his recommendation would be for me, and he said that bypass is generally more successful. Many people are very successful w/ the sleeve, while others end up getting revisions done, choosing finally, RNY. Point being- don't feel forced into ANYTHING. This is YOUR life, YOUR body. Research your doctor. Make an informed decision. Don't let ANYONE bully you into anything. Good luck!