Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A year later and still having a hard time. Need your opinion

Hello Everyone !

I was sleeved a year ago after going through gastric band first 6 years ago.

I am finding it hard to eat. I have major heartburn so still taking Omeprazol each morning, i am kind of under weight now and still cant get food down easily. At time even liquids are hard to keep down as something is blocking the passage.

Anyone has experienced this before ? and will it ever get better ?

I hear people talking about weight gain and some people can eat all kinds of things few months after surgery, which makes me wonder why i am suffering this much a year after my surgery?

What is your experience and what do you think???

I am not a medical professional. I can say that if I were in your situation, I would be checking with my surgeon and/or PCP and asking to be assessed for a stricture or other post-op complication, because that does not sound normal to me based on what I read here, see in my support group, or hear from my medical team about what to expect. I would not waiting around for my symptoms to go away on their own. I think that's actually very dangerous.

Thank you for your comment. I spoke to my Dr and he said it is ok it is normal just try to eat only soft foods.

i am starting to doubt if it is normal or not ?

All the problems you list COULD be related to the acid, which isnt that abnormal. It would be a good precautionary step to get some imaging done just in case. But if your surgeon is confident, then it's your call whether you want a second opinion.

Acid can swell up the esophogus and slow down the movement of food. Does it get better when you take the acid blockers? Does it feel like food is stacking up before the stomach (intense, focused discomfort)? Are you chewing things up really well and eating slowly?

If you get imaging that shows youre structurally fine, then I'd work with the choice of foods. Work with your nutritionist to find foods that don't trigger the acid. For me, I couldnt touch yogurt for 3 months. But now I'm off the pills and love yogurt.

Thnk you for the post and I am in the same boat! A year out and I have a hard time eating most foods. If I stick to soft foods I am good, but that is not what my doctor is stiving for. My doctor is doing an EGD scope with possible dialtion to see if there are any strictures. Please keep me posted. And, thank you again, for posting!

No, it is not normal.

Normal a year post-op is eating a reasonable amount of food -- like a cup at meals.

Thank you for the support and KristenLee will keep you posted.

I would seek another opinion but i am currently in Africa and such procedure is not common here.

The pill helps so i don't have acid reflux all day . i think i chew well and i do try to eat soft or Soups but at time a piece of boiled potato gets stuck and i am doomed all day.

i will try to ask around and see if i can do an image here and then send it to my Dr. to seek his opinion.

I wanted to know if it was normal or who else is experiencing this. i guess it is not normal and i need to do something about it.

Eating a steak is definitely something i don't even think of lolol

@@sweetlia - I think I would get a second opinion. that doesn't sound even normal, especially since you are on anti acids. It wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion and most importantly its a matter of health concerns.

Second opinion. I have been eating steak since week six. The only time I get reflux is if I go too long without eating and the stomach acid has nothing else to do but torment me.

Thank you for the support and KristenLee will keep you posted.

I would seek another opinion but i am currently in Africa and such procedure is not common here.

The pill helps so i don't have acid reflux all day . i think i chew well and i do try to eat soft or Soups but at time a piece of boiled potato gets stuck and i am doomed all day.

i will try to ask around and see if i can do an image here and then send it to my Dr. to seek his opinion.

I wanted to know if it was normal or who else is experiencing this. i guess it is not normal and i need to do something about it.

Eating a steak is definitely something i don't even think of lolol

HAHAHAHA!!!! I always say the same thing!!! Steak or chicken or any pork is unheard of! I have to laugh about it sometimes or I get too frustrated. I try to stay positive! I am consulting with the doctor and doing the best I can! But that comment made me laugh out oud...literally!!

Yeah definitely not normal. Seek a second opinion.

i just emailed my Dr and listed my concerns and questions. i hope to get a reply soon to see what would be my next step.

Thank you for the support.