Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is the sleeve still working after 3-5 years?

I can certainly relate to the comments above. I am about 6 years out. I bounce from 10-15lbs heavier than my goal weight which I am kinda okay with. The only thing that makes it hard with having the sleeve is if you snack, you could sabotage your goals in the long run. I find with sticking to an "atkins like" eating regimen is the best for my body type. But let's be clear about one thing, the sleeve saved my life, literally. I didn't want to live anymore with the weight and was too tired to try my usual programs. I would do it all again!

Can I eat as much as before? Hell no. But I can definitely feel that I have stretched my new tummy out a little but for the most part it's still small. I still have moments where I've pushed it and had to run to the bathroom to throw it up because I simply ate one too many bites. It happens less now but in the beginning it was a little challenging.

Do the hunger feelings come back? For me, sadly yes. But sticking to I high Protein diet really helps. I think you have realistic goals with the fact that you will have to exercise and have a healthy diet for the rest of your life. Just remember to be kind to yourself and don't beat yourself up too much if you do put on a little. I think any normal person does have a 10lb window of comfort.

I wish you all the best!

Edited by COnative

I was sleeved about 4 years ago, and have gained about half my weight back. I have been trying to get back but keep falling into a rut. snack And bad foods have become the norm once again. Need to find the strength to hit the restart button.

tinkerbell123 - I can totally relate. I am almost 6 years out and just now having a lot of difficulty keeping my weight off. I am actually higher than my ticker, I am 180 and totally bummed. If I could just NOT snack I'd be okay but it is really hard!!! Yes my hair fell out like crazy for the first FULL YEAR - NOTHING HELPED. This is so much harder than I would have thought. I would still do the sleeve that being said. I just wish there was a pill you could take that tells your body YOU ARE NOT HUNGRY! UGH!!!!

I'm almost 3 years out..this October. Best decision I have ever made for myself. However I'm back to snacking... And we know where that leads to. Has anyone ever done the pouch reset? I'm thinking I'm going to try and see if this helps me.. SW 326..lost 115. Current weight 236..just so discouraged with myself.

Sent from my XT1650 using BariatricPal mobile app

Just looked in to resetting my pouch. Interesting material online. The basis, if you don't want to look in to it, is following the exact nutritional regime as day one after your surgery. Remember those days, LOL, all liquids nothing solid, lots of broth and sugar free Jello? Fun! Right? I think it's worth a try! Thanks for the info sleeved14! :-)

pouch reset is a fad diet and doesn't actually "reset" your pouch. A better approach is to track what you're consuming, focus on eating dense Protein first and then vegetables. Also, don't drink your calories, minimize snacking, and stop eating simple carbs & processed food. Good luck!

The sleeve would work perfectly if I didn't like to snack! OMG, it's tough. I am at my heaviest since surgery :-( I am thinking of doing a re-set of such even though it's a "fad" but sometimes you need to try whatever you think might work for you. I kept my weight off for the most part with a ten pound leeway for 5 years. I recently had to return to the bakery which my husband and I own and the snacking seems to be a little out of control (as I am sure many of you can imagine!) As I have said before, be strong if you would like to snack - that is what has sabotaged me. I think I can still go down to maybe 160/165, but aren't we all just tired of diets? The whole point to this surgery for me. But we can do it!

I am more than 4 years out and my Sleeve is the best thing to ever happen to me. I still have great restriction and I tolerate most foods very well. I don't count anything, by this point. I know what I can eat and maintaining hasn't been difficult for me *so far*. I am in the unique position to still lose weight here and there, even being so far out. I have lost 20lbs in the last year and a half.

For the MOST part I can eat what I want. I avoid certain foods because I don't like how they make me feel. Like... I'll eat a cupcake but just the cake part because icing is too sweet, and probably not all of the cupcake. I can normally handle a bite of cake but... it's so sweet. I can look at something and just know that that is never happening. Cinnamon roll? NO. I can handle a couple bites of a waffle before it's too much. Last summer I ordered a pancake, ate half of it and needed a nap afterward. chocolate tastes funny. chips are salty (unless TOM is near and then I can handle chocolate and chips. WEIRD.) Ice cream.... well, I can eat plain vanilla. If it has fruit in it, the sugar is too much for me... goes right through me and it's unpleasant. I CAN eat bread, Pizza Crust, rolls and I love rice and Pasta but I don't eat it often because it fills me up quickly and then I can't eat anything else. And tho I don't worship food I do still like to eat. It also makes me sleepy.

I eat beef and pork, I eat chicken, LOOOOVE seafood. It's less dense so I can eat more and an excellent source of Protein. I also love veggies (I stick to green veggies and try to avoid the starchy ones though I am a sucker for corn!) and I eat salad about twice a week. There is nothing like a crisp, cold salad, especially a caesar or one made with romaine lettuce. I hate iceberg and bib lettuce. And arugula. Ick. I eat until I have eaten all the chicken or steak and cheese out of it and then I am done.

I don't snack often. I eat twice a day. I was never a big eater (getting fat was more about hormones and physiology and laziness than about the amount of food I ate). I don't like to eat in the morning, but since I like to eat dinner by at least 8PM, I am usually feeling empty by 11Am-ish ( I have been known to drag it out until 2PM) so I eat a hearty portion. I can eat about a cup of food, depending on the day. Right before TOM I am ravenous. Some days, esp during the summer, I am drinking protein smoothies because I just cannot with food right now! Then I head home and have dinner by 8. I am rarely hungry, so I don't skip meals but I don't shove food into my face when my body isn't asking for it.

For me, I needed to get rid of that worship of food, that waking up in the morning and dreaming of what I am having for dinner that night, that feeling that stuff isn't fun if food isn't involved and I needed to stop eating my feelings and my boredom. I'm still a nighttime mindless eater, so if I have snacky foods in the house, I will eat it. So I don't bring it home. I don't think about food unless it's a meal time. But f I am going out to eat.... I'm staring at the menu for about two hours before we even meet up. I have a small amount of real estate and I fill up quickly. I want the best option I can get for a reasonable amount of money (Tired of spending $30 on a plate of food I'm not going to finish). Sometimes that means ordering a couple of appetizer and calling it a night!

It isn't snacking that is the problem, it is what we snack on. Try substituting:

a carrot and a one ounce piece of cheese
An apple with a tablespoon of almond butter
1/2 cup of unsweetened kefir (yogurt drink)
12 almonds and 12 mini shredded wheat squares
1/2 cup plain yogurt with 1/2 c fresh fruit
15 grams 100% whole grain crackers with 1oz cream cheese
2oz hummus with sliced fresh vegetables
1/2 oz raw nuts

If you want to stop cravings, stay away from sweets and refined carbs. Stay away from all natural and artificial sweeteners.

If you indulge occasionally, no problem. Just don't have the stuff in the house, and be prepared for return of cravings for a day or two.

Many of us hoped we could eat whatever we wanted, just less, and lose and maintain weight. Not true for a lot of us.

Good food tastes really great and feels really great. Skin, hair, energy all respond well.

Do weigh, measure and track. It's key to getting and staying on track. MyFitnessPal makes it really easy.

I can certainly relate to the comments above. I am about 6 years out. I bounce from 10-15lbs heavier than my goal weight which I am kinda okay with. The only thing that makes it hard with having the sleeve is if you snack, you could sabotage your goals in the long run. I find with sticking to an "atkins like" eating regimen is the best for my body type. But let's be clear about one thing, the sleeve saved my life, literally. I didn't want to live anymore with the weight and was too tired to try my usual programs. I would do it all again!
Can I eat as much as before? Hell no. But I can definitely feel that I have stretched my new tummy out a little but for the most part it's still small. I still have moments where I've pushed it and had to run to the bathroom to throw it up because I simply ate one too many bites. It happens less now but in the beginning it was a little challenging.
Do the hunger feelings come back? For me, sadly yes. But sticking to I high Protein diet really helps. I think you have realistic goals with the fact that you will have to exercise and have a healthy diet for the rest of your life. Just remember to be kind to yourself and don't beat yourself up too much if you do put on a little. I think any normal person does have a 10lb window of comfort.
I wish you all the best!

Thanks you. I a. Encouraged by your words. I was sleeves September 2016. I am about 15lbs shy of my goal weight and it getting harder to lose. But I am still trying to stick with the plan

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

I wish you all the best!

Thanks you. I a. Encouraged by your words. I was sleeves September 2016. I am about 15lbs shy of my goal weight and it getting harder to lose. But I am still trying to stick with the plan

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app