Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why is it that some ppl don't have to do clear liquid for 2 weeks? Some ppl diet 2 days before surgery? This pre op diet will be the death of me! I can't stick to it.

I didn't get this big with health issues eating/drinking Clear liquids. I'm starving.

Just as some ppl do drugs... food is my drug... It's a habit that a can't kick. I wish I could just diet 2 days before.

I don't see how your liver will shrink in 2 weeks when it took 28 years to get where it's at now??

I know I'm very weak person. And I'm sure this will reflect my end results... I just can't handle the massive head aches I get from not eating.

I feel you. I'm starving too and 1000 calories a day. I Don't lose weight. Your liver has to shrink for them to operate so they don't damage your liver. Basically the last 28 years of your life you have been maintaining the size of your liver but eating the way they want you to for 5 days to 14 days depending on your doctor. It really does make a difference to do the pre op diet. They won't do the surgery if you don't do it right. They can tell when you didn't do the Pre op diet correctly. The day of surgery they will do a ultrasound to check out your liver and stuff first. If your liver isn't the right size then will send you home. Be strong and follow it. Watch lots of YouTube videos! Good luck!

Headaches aren't from not eating but, from a lack of nutrients or fluids

The pre op diet is very hard. I had to do two weeks of liquids only so I know what you are going through.

I tried to stay really busy during my two weeks. I focused on getting my house in order, stocking my pantry with stuff post op, started walking when I wanted to eat, packing my hospital bag,etc.

As hard as it is, just try to stay focused on the end result which will be having your surgery and starting a new life.

I was also scared to cheat on my pre op diet because I would have felt so bad if something had went wrong that I could have prevented by being compliant.

The headaches will get better as the days pass. Usually by day four they will ease up.

Hang in there you can do it!!

I didn't have to do liquids for two weeks, just 1000 calories or fewer. Now I wish I had been put on liquids, and went there voluntarily two days before to have a soft landing into clear liquid phase of post-op. My surgeon visited my room at the hospital and I asked him how big my liver was and he said it was pretty fatty but nothing he couldn't handle. I had never been that hungry in my life. I know that if I had been more lax with the pre-op diet that I would likely have had my surgery cancelled.

Fatty liver is real, and there's a very small chance that if we are in this category we didn't have it. The two weeks make a big difference. It doesn't completely cure it, it just makes it manageable for surgery. The lifestyle you lead after the surgery is what will restore your liver to normal.

The pre-op diet is actually easy to follow if you stick with it for the first 2-3 days. For those first few days you will have carb withdrawal. Your brain prefers carbs for fuel. So when you go without it you experience headaches, moodiness, and feelings of faint. However, these pass within about 2-3 days as your body switches over into burning fat and Protein for fuel.

Yes, some doctors do not make their patients do the pre-op diet but I can assure you that those patients who do the diet end up losing far more than patients who do not. For example, I lost 25lbs just in the 2 week pre-op diet.

Wow! My pre op diet is 28 days. 14 days high Protein, 7 full liquid then 7 clear liquid.

I too have been struggling with the pre-op diet. I was suppose to do 7 days clear liquids, but was so hungry. I ate chicken with rice Soup and crackers because i was so hungry. I am now down to the last 3 days and not sure what he will tell me when I show up on Thursday. Was thinking of calling the office to see if I need to postpone surgery, but I hate to have to put it off at this point. any thoughts?

I was told one week of the pre-op diet. I asked my Dr if she felt i should do two and she said no. 1) my bmi is 38.9 and 2) liver function tests show 36 or 37 usually for very obese its 45 or 50. One week is good for me. She didnt seem concerned.

I understand! I have not started it yet, but my doctor is requiring 2 weeks on liquids and only raw veggies, no dressing. I am supposed to have 4 Protein Drinks a day.

I am dreading it, but know it's necessary for a safer surgery.

Let me know if you have any words of wisdom!

It is hard, but sort of a bit exciting too as you know you are on your way ;)