Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

At a loss, because no loss

So what do you do when the surgeon is stumped? When the dietician is stumped? When no one has answers why there is no weight loss? Here's my story:

I had the lapband in 2010. Fairly successful, the usual up and down that banders experience. In 2014 I started having major complications, severe vomiting. I let it go for about 6 months because I lost a drastic amount of weight, of course. But then I started having health issues related to that (anemia, dehydration, lack of circulation) and had the lapband removed in June 2014. Surgeon required a 6 month recovery period before the sleeve, so I had the sleeve in January of 2015.

I lost a few pounds the week after surgery. A few more over the next couple of weeks. For a total of about 20 pounds. I was excited...until it just stopped. I have not lost a single pound since February. I have had every lab work under the sun! Thyroid and hormones and adrenals all checked out "normal." I am taking a low dose of Nature-throid to get my thyroid to a better level. I have also had some testosterone pellets injected. I have great energy levels, work out 4 days a week (cross fit), get great Protein and veggies.

I do feel like I can eat more than I should be able to. I don't gorge, but when I read how some folks are eating 1/4 cup of food and I'm eating a large dinner salad with grilled chicken, it kind of concerns me.

I met with the surgeon and dietician. The only suggestion they came up with: diet pill and eat "clean." Seriously? I paid $14K for you to prescribe a diet pill and now I have to drastically change my eating habits even further and eat CLEAN?? As a single mom running from work to work out to ball practice to a school meeting to homework to get kids in bed....trying to fit a clean diet in there freaks me out. Doesn't seem possible.

I had my metabolism tested using Medgem. My RMR is very low, especially considering my level of activity. The dietician could not offer any reasoning nor could she offer any suggestions...other than eat clean. I have added drinking warm lemon Water in the morning and nothing but lemon Water all day. Because the internet said that can help boost metabolism...and if it's on the internet, it must be true right?!?

I'm beyond frustrated as I have several coworkers that had the sleeve done in February and March. All of them have lost 40-60 pounds. One of them brings in her Breakfast from Whataburger every morning as I sip on my Protein shake. How is it even possible that she has lost 40 pounds and I'm struggling just to maintain?!

At my last appointment in July, my surgeon suggested coming back in a couple months and having an upper GI done. Said that maybe my pouch isn't small enough due to still being swollen at the time of surgery and now I need more staples. So does that mean ANOTHER surgery? Another cash, out of pocket, surgery?? I just called to make an appointment to see him, and he's booked until October 5! So another month of waiting.

Has ANYONE had issues like this? Know of anyone with a story like this?? Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks for reading my rant. ;)

I don't know that I have a lot of suggestions. Are you logging every single bite you take? How much Protein are you getting per day? How much calories, carbs, fat, etc.? How about your Water intake? Are you eating Protein first and then veggies and then carbs if room left? Did the NUT review your food logs?

I guess if I were in your shoes I would be looking carefully at exactly how many calories and carbs I am taking in each day, and making sure I am absolutely correct on that front by weighing or measuring everything I eat and accounting for every ingredient. You may already be doing that, but I can't tell from your post. Especially since your RMR is low, it sounds like hyper-vigilance about making sure your calorie intake is at a significant deficit would take a lot of work :(

When I attempted to talk about calories/carbs/fats she told me if I was getting in my Protein all that wouldn't matter. I didn't understand that. I thought it was about calories in/calories out. For the first 4 months I logged every single thing that passed my lips. I was devastated I was doing everything by the book and NOTHING. I toyed with the whole high fat/low carb lifestyle, but it almost goes against everything I've ever learned.

My day:

Protein shake for Breakfast, grilled chicken salad for lunch, string cheese snack, and whatever we have for dinner, and a couple cups of coffee during the day.

I have completely cut out junk food...no fast food, no potato chips or candy bars or ice cream. I feel like if I'm filling my body with good stuff, I should be rewarded! Ya know?!? :)

Have you tried cutting your meals down to 1/4 cup portions? It might help your sleeve shrink.

Wish you all the best.

It sounds maybe discouraging to say this but is it possible your body isn't letting you slim down because it still isn't recovered from the lap band and the subsequent sleeve surgery.

The thing I would ponder is previous weight loss. It seems to me that it becomes cyclic. I can go up to 8-weeks with no weight loss followed by significant drop followed by no weight loss, wash, rinse, repeat. I mentioned this in another thread so I'm repeating myself - sorry about that. I don't look at the times when I'm maintaining as "stalls". It's been coming on 2 years since my surgery and over time I've noticed this pattern that seems like my body is storing energy and nutrients. When the "tank" gets full it dumps weight and then starts refilling the tank.

Maybe your "tank" isn't full yet. Maybe you could ask your NUT or Dr if this is possibly what's going on?

Peace

PS: don't become discouraged, you'll find your answer

Edited by Folly

I questioned if the lapband stress caused this screeching halt of my metabolism. They said no, but I can't help but believe it is related. Like my body is just in shock. The good thing is I have not gained any weight. I have maintained almost the exact same weight for 6 months. So that should be considered a success. :)

I do have to say that I feel great! My energy levels are high, I am stronger now than I was months ago. Just want these jeans to fit looser. ;)

Im very similar. I had the band for 10 years, maintained my weightloss through vomiting every day all day. Unfilled for 2 years, gained 35 pounds. Have had the sleeve since July 9. Only down 13 pounds, 10 of which was the first 2 weeks. I go to the gym alot, mostly cardio, starting with some boot camp now. My nut says 80-100grms Protein and 50-80 carb. I never go over 50 unless I did alot at the gym. She says dont worry about calories. I do use my fitness pal and stay around 1000. I think my first couple months I was actually grazing and eating more carbs. I have no problems eating anything, even raw vegetables. There is no way in hell I could eat 1/4 cup and be satisfied. with exercising you have to consume more food otherwise your body goes into starvation mode. Now after my last appt I use mfp religiously and have lost 2 pounds. Im a very slow loser and dont have that much to lose to get to my original band weight. I have 25 pounds to lose and I dont care if it takes me 6 months. If I lose a pound a week its better than a 35 pound weight gain. Your diet I think looks like you arent eating enough carbs and calories for 4 days in the gym. I know its hard to believe it.

​Well that is frustrating. Have you consider trying a new NUT? Not sure where you are in TX, but I am able to use someone who does their appts over the phone. It is great. I send them my food logs before our appt and then we spend about 30 minutes talking about changes. I think there was one of the experts on this site offering the same thing. The only confusing part could be that they might think differently than your surgeon but at this point, not sure you have anything to lose.

I found the info I mentioned above for one of the experts. Her signature says:

"Elizabeth Anderson MA, RD, LD

Elizabeth Anderson is a registered and licensed dietitian in New Hampshire with a private practice called CrackerJack Nutrition. Elizabeth specializes in weight management with a focus in non-judgmental bariatric surgery support. Elizabeth sees patients in her office and via Skype. Email her for a 15 complimentary session to see if she can help you. eliz@crackerjacknutrition.com."

I don't know her nor have used her but maybe she could be of help?? It sure sounds like your current NUT isn't helping.

@DianeSav Thank you so much for responding and sharing your experiences as well. Finally someone that can relate and I don't feel alone in this. I wear a fitness watch to the gym and average around 400-500 calories burned. You would think that would be great, but I feel like it's not enough. Maybe I need to stop focusing on calories and more on carbs and Protein. I downloaded mfp and will try to track as much as possible.

@@Daisee68 Thank you for the suggestion, I never considered trying another NUT. No one is a fan of the one in the surgeon's office. She doesn't even attempt to relate to what we're going through and is not supportive. That does not help one be successful.

You're welcome. I actually changed locations per-op because I felt the NUT was way off base and disinterested. Way happier with the choice I made! There are individual NUTs out there. Just be sure they specialize in WLS patients; otherwise, you will be even more confused.

I was banded in May of 2013 and Sleeved March of this year. I am having the same issue. Only down 20 pounds in 6 months and its frustrating. I go for my 6 month appt the 15th and I'll have to see what my doctor suggest me to do. I work out 4 days a week with a personal trainer so I know it's not the exercise portion. I feel I can eat more than what I should be able to but according to my dr at my last appt the odds I stretched my stomach in such a sort time is slim to none he says that if people so stretch their stomach it can take years.

I feel you pain. I just want to break the 200 ! I'm 205. I only have another 35-40 I want to lose to be at my goal

@@bel6692 It's like we're telling the same story! I weigh every Friday and it goes like this: 204, 201, 203, 200, 201, 203, 200....you get the point. I have yet to break that 200 plane! And my goal is only 160! It seems so attainable, yet unreachable! I would love to know what your surgeon has to say. Please let me know! Thank you for responding. Every person with a similar struggle lets me know I'm not alone. And I hope you would feel the same. I see my surgeon on Oct 5. I hate waiting, but that's his first opening.

I too have not lost much weight at all. I had my bad removed in December 2013 and sleeved March 2014 and only lost 34 pds and gained back 13 pds. Now I've learned I'm battling hypoglycemia. I worked out hard over the past few years watched my fat intake and now I'm told I'm not getting enough fat in and to stop working out. Been battling dehydration for over year. I get headaches and acid feeling from my stomach which triggers headaches. I really regret this surgery. All of them