Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did surgery help your low back pain/sciatica?

Hi every one! I have just started my 6 month monitored weight loss required by my insurance company. My estimated surgery date is in January 2016. I am in a lot of pain daily due to a herniated disc in my lower back with pain radiating into my left hip and thigh. I was wondering if the VSG has helped anyone with similar pain. I've had many epidural injections in the past and was considering surgery for it until I started my WLS journey. I'm hoping the pain will subside with weight loss. Please share any similar stories. Thanks so much!!!

Oh I hope it does. I have all sorts of back injury related crap going on. I neeeeeed this to work or else it's surgery for fusion or disc replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am still waiting haha. I lost 30 lbs, and the pain at the lower back is there I think I have to lose more completely for it to go away. But hopefully it will.

I don't see how it can't help. I have low back problems and visit a chiropractor a few times a month. My low back issues are a combo of my weight making my spinal curvature hyperlordosis as well as my sacro/illiac joint being out of alignment, which is probably unrelated as much to my weight.

Edited by Yaberhoo

Just had my second back surgery Oct 2014 (fusion, for disk issues). I'm only doing the pre-surgery diet and have lost 12lbs and just from that have noticed my back pain is less and less, and I work at a desk 8 hours a day. It's definitely going to help.

I was having an issue with my nerve in my back could not wash dishes standing up now 4 weeks post op no more pain down a total of 38 pounds

With all the extra weight I had major back pain and could only stand for short period of time before having to sit. I am down 88 pounds at this point and have much more energy and virtually no back pain! It gets better and better as I go.

My 62 lbs. loss has not helped with my lower back and referred hip pain, but it has helped with knee pain. I'm a work in progress on managing the back pain since I cannot go back to my old, familiar, worked really well arthritis medicine. Seeing my rheumatologist tomorrow.

I don't have any major back problems but I did have problems with sciatica at least twice each year. Now that I've dropped some of the excess weight I haven't had sciatica in the past two years. Hope the surgery helps with your pain and back issues.