Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to Prepare for VSG

Hi all - so as of right now I have a November surgery date (in the process of hopefully being approved by my insurance company). But what are some ways you all prepared yourself for the actual surgery and lifestyle change? My sister had the surgery done last November so I've lived with her and seen her experiences first hand but I'm always down for more advice. Someone told me to join a gym before surgery to get used to working out, and lifting weights to help with loose skin (in don't even know if that's true).

Whatever advice you got, good or bad, love to hear it!!

Thanks, Nicole

The #1 thing I did to prepare for WLS was to mentally prepare myself to not regret anything I had to do or go through to have WLS.

I made an agreement with myself that it didn't matter what I to do - driving to Dr. appointments and completing the tests (7 tests - each time, it was a 2 hour 1 way drive), taking time off from work, doing the liquid diet, experiencing any pain post-op, giving up any foods I loved.

There was no going back once 80% of my stomach was removed, so I vowed not to regret it.

HOWEVER! I did experience the, "What the HELL did I do to myself????" moment the 1st week after surgery. :-P But I refused to regret having the surgery.

Make sure you have a good therapist and nutritionist. Like @@joatsaint said, you need to prepare mentally for this life changing event. Find any demons you have with food and emotions so you can deal with them. I started walking before surgery and it helped me post surgery. You will be walking from right after surgery. Building up my endurance some before surgery helped me after. Go ahead and start on a program like MyFitnessPal or something like it so you get used to tracking every little thing you intake. And as you get closer to November, practice taking smaller bites and chewing them slowly. I didn't do this and had to learn after my surgery. Trust me, you would rather learn before so you don't have to go through the "slimes" and throwing your food back up! Just some things that helped me. Best of luck to you!!

I had to wait 6 months. I used that time to attend our programs support group meetings, exercise group, I read as much as I could. I was really ready by my surgery date. I didn't feel like I was giving anything up. I didn't have any last meals. I was on my 2 week liquid diet as I turned 55 and it is the best present I have ever given myself!!

I'm in the same place as you. I'm waiting for the sale of my house, which will allow me to pay for my surgery since insurance won't cover it. I have started working on my food demons. I heavily drink Diet Coke and have started slowly reducing the amount I drink (the headaches!). I have ordered a sampler packs to start figuring out which brands and flavors of Protein powders I can stomach (I hate Protein powders but my first unjury chocolate splendor was pretty good). I've spent a lot of time reading here and researching everything I can. I've joined a support thread on Facebook for with the surgery center I have chosen. I've started planning post operative meals after I get past the soft food phase. I'm looking into which are the best supplements brands to buy for post surgery and started taking Multivitamins and supplements now.

There really is lots to do! Good luck!

i have a 6 month wait and i am changing my diet per nut orders slow and steady and i am also trying to walk more and trying to track my food every day