Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Steroids for back injury

I strained/injured my back this morning. Went to urgent care due to pain and mobility issues. Doc says just muscle related, but gave me steroids along with muscle relaxant and pain meds. I talked to the pharmacist and told her about my sleeve. She said as long as I take the steroids with food and keep up with my Prilosec, everything should be fine. Has anyone else had to use steroids after surgery? It's only for 6 days with a gradual decrease in dose each day.

Because I'm not able to go back on my arthritis medicine now that I've had VSG, I'm seeing my rheumatologist tomorrow to talk about what I can take to help with chronic pain due to arthritis and other conditions. One thing we'll be talking about is the Medrol Dosepak (prednisone) which I've had a few times in years past and which helped give me pain relief for 4-6 months. It sounds like that's what you're on. My nighttime pain medication gets me through the night, but my daytime pain level has not improved.

Good luck to us both!

I called my surgeons office and spoke to a nurse who was downright rude about it. Practically scolding me for taking them, saying I could end up with a leak and back in surgery. She texted the surgeon who responded with consent for me finishing the pack. The only thing I was told to avoid was NSAIDS. I talked to the pharmacist etc. any way, I was very stressed after talking to the nurse

Have / am having a similar issue . I have a 30year history of gout and about 17 days after sleeve surgery was hit with the worst attack ever . Usually medicate with NSAIDS but that is no longer an option . Called my PCP and she prescribed prednisone . called the bariatric surgeon and his nurse said there is a risk of ulcers but do what you think best , but take the prednisone with a PPI , i.e. nexium or protonix , but the decision /ulcer risk was back on me . Called a v good friend (MD) and he said ,with the PPI, the prednisone should be ok to treat the inflammation and over only 3 or 4 days minimal risk of ulcers . The pharmacist has said to crush the prednisone and take with full meal . With the pain running in the 5 and 6 range doing nothing is really not an option . So with 3 MD's and a pharmacist , the 'answer' is for short term , prednisone with a PPI and probably it will be ok , probably .

@@jaytrain, thanks for the post. I take 20 mg Prilosec twice a day and always make sure I have food in my stomach when I take the prednisolone. So, hoping for the best!

In short, rheumatologist recommended Celebrex (COX2 inhibitor) for my arthritis pain if my surgeon okays it along with some topical gel Voltaren for smaller joints. I had also requested a short-term dosing course of prednisone (high to low doses over a period of 2 weeks) to get me past the worst of the pain, but my surgeon said no NSAIDs or steroids due to increased risk of ulcer. However, he said if I did take the prednisone then to be certain to take my Prevacid daily. I will be studying on this to decide how I'm going to proceed. No problem with using the Voltaren.

Is it mainly oral steroids you want to avoid? My ear drops contain a steroid and I just realized it.

Always double check with your surgeon, however one of my asthma inhalers is a steroid. I asked about that. They said it was fine because it doesn't go to the stomach.