Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stuck and severely depressed. Need help.

Hi. I'm 3 1/2 months out. Lost 40 lbs before surgery and 30 lbs post-op (month and a half) then absolutely nothing. I've been 305 for two months almost. It's like my scale is stuck. Probably I am. I must be honest, I don't think I'm getting enough Protein in on some days, most of the time I'm spot on. I drink like a fish. Water, diet green tea, Decaf (yes, I subtract that from my daily intake), Propel, herbal tea, decaf tea. Drinking is no problem. I eat a cup, cup and a half of a Protein laden meal at meals, but I do not eat my recommended Snacks all the time. t's really hard to eat. My NUT said something about Grehlin and that my appetite will return. But I'm out 3 1/2 months, when will I start losing weight!

Should I go back on liquids for a week? Or fast for three days? Or what? All you guys are losing massive amounts of weight, and I am literally stuck on 305. I feel like this surgery was a flop. I feel like a failure.

I lost enough weight that my Pulmonologist took me off all forms of supplemental oxygen. THATS awesome! I'm trying to walk the halls at work without my Rollator, and I'm doing better. No where near normal, but better. I walk kinda funny. My coworkers know I had the rny, and are waiting for me to lose all sorts of weight, but I'm not. I'm embarrassed and ashamed. If I were gaining, I'd have something to look at, but I'm not.

I have NO food sensitivities, no dumping. However, if I eat to fast or not chew enough, I throw up the stuck food. No diarrea. No Constipation. TMI here: my bowel is always a light beige, if that means anything.

Doc put me on an anti-gall stone med last month. Its supposed to be for 6 months.

Help? I'm stuck and severely depressed.

PKinneB. You are making wonderful progress!!! No rollater... Awesome.... No oxygen....fantastic!!! Success isn't always going to be on the scale...its in other places like you mentioned. Your first efforts are for healing not weight loss. Ppl forget...you just has major altercations to your body. Breathe already. If you're at a standstill.. Try doing just full liquids for a week...that should jump start you again.

@sgibbs....Thank you for your positive spin, I guess you're right. Still, the scale never moves....

Do you really think a week on liquids might jumpstart things? I was wondering also.

How many grams of Protein are you getting? My goal is 60 and I'm able to meet that with food. Maybe you should add a shake to supplement your intake of food based Protein?

I don't rely on Snacks for protein, but do still try to make them protein focused. What are you snacking on? Do you monitor carbs?

Hi. I'm only nine days out and still have surgery bloat so I've gained instead of lost.

Hearing about your major weight loss and other huge accomplishments encourages me with my struggles right now.

I understand about the scale not moving since mine moved up not down since surgery but my doc said not even to look at the scale until I see progress in other ways.

I know you will get where you want to go. You've gone so far already!

I've been repeating this quote to myself, "When you're going through hell, keep going."

@ This is all completely normal and we have all gone through it, many times. Your body sometimes just needs to catch up with what you are doing. I wouldn't do a liquid diet at this phase--you are still too new to do that. Go back to the basics: keep a food journal, track your grams of Protein, really watch what you are eating and make sure to not have white sugar/white flour, drink lot's of Water (as you are already doing). Your body WILL catch up and you will lose again. You are doing fantastic and will continue to do fantastic. Stop weighing yourself every day. Do it once a week. Also, are you starting to get some exercise in? That's very helpful, too. Walking is the best. But even, just doing the arms in regular exercise can get your heart rate up which is great for you--you know, jumping jacks but just do the arms for now, or doing pushups against the wall (stand about a foot or so away from a wall (or good solid door since I don't really like to put handprints on a wall) put your hands at about shoulder width/chest height and lean in to do a push up against the wall. The better you get at these, the further away from the wall you can stand. I've heard swimming is the best though I know it is not for me or for a lot of people.

Best of luck and keep us informed!!

@

You are doing fantastic so far don't get discourage.

I am wondering about the volume you are eating at one sitting. 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups would actually cause me to be over full and get sick. I can maybe get a cup in at 11 months post op and it really depends on what I am eating.

For example I can eat a whole container of yogurt which is 6 ounces but I am full afterwards.

I could never eat 6 oz. of meat. Especially if it a dense meat like chicken, beef or pork. I am lucky to get in 3 oz.

If I am eating salad then I can eat close to 1.5 cups depending on what Protein is in there. I can eat 1/2 cup cottage cheese with a couple of strawberries.

When you say Protein laden, can you give some examples of what that looks like? It might help us help you.

Also you may need to consider eating 5 smaller meals spread out throughout the day and no Snacks.

I know it sounds weird but sometimes you just have to change things up as in your routine.our bodies get used to the same things and then stall.

Good luck to you and please don't get discouraged, the weight will come off. I lost the most weight in the first 8 weeks and then everything slowed down. I now lose between 8 and 12 lbs a month. And I have had a whole month where I lost nothing.

Yet in the end I have lost 119lbs in 11 short months.

Djmohr may be right - I had surgery two weeks before you (June 3). The only thing I can eat 1 - 1.5 cups of is Soup. Everything else is 1/2 - 3/4 C. And if it's really dense Protein, even 1/2 C can be challenging at times