Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Changing mind during process?

I was just wondering how many people have changed their mind during the process. I am thinking of the sleeve but keep going back and forth. My insurance has a 3 month wait so I have time to do more research.

I have lost weight on and off for over 20 years. I am 36 now. I know how to loose weight but I never keep it off.

I know my eating habits are terrible lately and part of me says if I just change this I can do it on my own.... but then I remember all the times I have done that.. I see a lot of people saying the only regret was not doing it sooner.

My plan right now is to give it my all during the 3 months, I mean what can I loose except weight? If I stll have trouble keep going on for surgery.

I wondered if anyone had lost weight during their wait for surgery and changed their mind.

Thanks

I think many of us lost weight while waiting for surgery but most of us know what you likely already do. For someone who has the disease obesity, losing it is the easy part. Keeping it off is where we all fall down.

Having weight loss surgery gives us another tool in our tool box to help in not gaining it back.

You will absolutely work your behind off to lose this weight. In the end every pound that comes off, comes off for good if you follow the plan.

My biggest fear is gaining my weight back. I know that I can never have the same eating habits I once did and be successful. The time you take now to change those habits will make things easier for you post WLS.

Trust me, slipping back into old habits is not easy to break but having the tool definately makes it much easier. I would have already gone off plan and started gaining back if it were not for everything I have learned about nutrition and had my grouch pouch kick my butt if I misbehave.

Good luck to you as you figure out what you are going to do. For me, I wish I would have done it 15 years ago before I damaged my spine and joints.

I would definately not have WLS if you are truly not ready. You will only be disappointed.

I too have lost a lot of weight over the years but always gained it back. During the two weeks liquid 800 calorie pre-op diet I lost about 15 pounds. My friends were saying "see, you can do it without surgery" but I was extremely hungry during this period. Nobody wants to walk around hungry all the time, it's a fate worse than death, IMHO. Severely overweight people are victims of their own metabolism, appetite, genetics, etc. Whatever the reason, we store more fat.

I was/am disappointed in myself because I probably could have lost the weight and kept it off with an extreme, low calorie diet and spending a lot of time at the gym but that's not how I want to live at 65 years old. Working out and dieting both suck which is why a lot of people quit and return to their old habits.

I was just wondering how many people have changed their mind during the process. I am thinking of the sleeve but keep going back and forth. My insurance has a 3 month wait so I have time to do more research.

I have lost weight on and off for over 20 years. I am 36 now. I know how to loose weight but I never keep it off.

I know my eating habits are terrible lately and part of me says if I just change this I can do it on my own.... but then I remember all the times I have done that.. I see a lot of people saying the only regret was not doing it sooner.

My plan right now is to give it my all during the 3 months, I mean what can I loose except weight? If I stll have trouble keep going on for surgery.

I wondered if anyone had lost weight during their wait for surgery and changed their mind.

Thanks

That would be me back in 2012. I planned to get the lap band, and started the 6 month pre op diet. I lost about 25 pounds during the first 4 months and talked myself out of the surgery. I justified that WLS was just too extreme.

From 2012 until December 2014 I continued to surf this site and research WLS. I attempted Qsysmia (spelling?) during that time, but gained the weight back when I couldn't afford the pills. I knew then that I would need a tool that stayed with me. A constant reminder.

Fast forward to 2014 and 40 pounds heavier, I was still unable to keep the weight off. The reality hit me that WLS was no more extreme than being 120 pounds overweight. I went back to my surgeon and listened that what he had originally recommended to me - sleeve. I started the journey again with a resolve that this was the right choice for me. There are days I wish I did not wait from 2012 until 2014, BUT I know that I was not ready. So, if there is doubt then maybe you are not ready. Take your time and wait until you know it is the right thing for you to do.

My surgery is scheduled for 9/30/15 and the battery of tests and visits that are required by my insurance has left me with the best possible picture of my overall health going into this. It has really turned out to be a good thing.

Good luck to you on whatever you decide. :)

@@zackly

You do realize you will still need to maintain your weight loss by watching what you eat and doing some exercise, right? You just threw me when you said you didn't want to be doing that at 65. Things change as time goes by. You won't have the restriction we have now and the hunger does return eventually. It will still be up to us to do what we need to do to maintain the weight loss.

I see too many people with the attitude that they can get lax about diet and excerise once the weight is off. Unfortunately, those are the folks that regain some or all of their weight back. This is for life. Even at 65.

I purposely made my process as fast as possible so I couldn't chicken out.

Sure I can lose weight and tone up without surgery. I have done it plenty of times, but I know it won't last. You are only this young once. The younger you are, the easier it is lose. Delaying when you are going to probably end up having surgery later on, only harms you.

Yes, I realize this. I was talking about doing a lot of exercise like I did at one time, running 30-40 miles a week, biking all day or dong a couple hours of cadio @ the gym.

@@zackly

You do realize you will still need to maintain your weight loss by watching what you eat and doing some exercise, right? You just threw me when you said you didn't want to be doing that at 65. Things change as time goes by. You won't have the restriction we have now and the hunger does return eventually. It will still be up to us to do what we need to do to maintain the weight loss.

I see too many people with the attitude that they can get lax about diet and excerise once the weight is off. Unfortunately, those are the folks that regain some or all of their weight back. This is for life. Even at 65.

I am seeking a revision from the lap and.I initially decided on getting the sleeve.I was sure for the last few months.I did my research and really thought about it And now I have decided on the RNY.Just changed from a dr that only does lap and and sleeve to his associate who does it all.Do your homework ,ask a lot of questions and change if you need to.Do what's right for you!