Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks post lapband

I was banded on August 6, 2015 and i have my days when I begin to wonder if I did the right thing. My weight loss has slowed doen it feels like and I am concerned that im able to eat to much. Anyways most days i am happy with my decision to be banded and i know it was neeed. I love this app it is nice to feel a sense of belonging.

My opinion, based on my experience, is you have not even began the weight loss process yet.....

All you have accomplished thus far is the preparation, and then the surgery itself....having the band installed..nothing else.

Now is the time to heal and get back to normal. Just as you were before the surgery. Same cravings, appetites, etc.

Once you are ready, then the Dr. will begin the process of adjustments / fills....to get both the band and yourself adjusted to a new lifestyle..THIS CAN TAKE MONTHS...THEN the real weight loss begins!!!

Those first few months are called Bandster's Hell....during this time I gained weight. The staff at the Bariatric Clinic kept preaching to me about calorie counting, measuring portions, etc, etc...which is all good, but I could (and have) done all that without surgery!!!

Not to mention, it was because I failed at dieting so many time for so many years, that surgery was the last resort...it was supposed to change all that...it was supposed to be different....

I can easily look back almost 5 years ago, and say those first few months were brief as opposed to my current lifestyle, being absolutely normal weight with no excess weight left to loose, completing this process, and going about my business day to day as though all this is now behind me (it isn't, but it feels that way)

Only thing I worry about these days is getting enough Protein per day, and eating good foods....NOT to loose weight, but focused on being healthy....same as non WLS people do.

All I am saying is PATIENCE...This thing DOES WORK, IF YOU WANT IT TO!

Unlike other surgeries you read about here, the LAP Band takes time to get it working.....

@@Thias38 Our friend B-52 has nailed it. I wish I could copy and paste his exact post for every newly banded person who posts almost exactly what you did. His are words of wisdom and TRUTH!

I posted almost exactly what you posted shortly after I was banded back in December 2014 (8 months ago). For weeks and months after I was newly banded, I was hungry, I was still drinking a ton of red wine, I was still in some old habits, but with some new ones thrown in... And I wondered "Oh God, have I spent $16K on a gimmicky piece of baloney? Do I even really HAVE a band?? Could it be the band doesn't work for me?

I needed to CHILL OUT. I needed to (and did) trust in the process and have PATIENCE. I needed to stick to Dr. O'Brien's "8 Golden Rules of Lap Band" (google it) and remember that the band is a tool that I was in the process of developing a relationship with.

8 months and 6 fills later, I am down 60 (almost) pounds. I've dropped from 259 lbs to 200. I have lost mega-inches and gone from a size 22 to a 16 in pants, a 2x top to a Large. My hands, feet, face, calves, tummy, boobs - everything - has slimmed down.

I'm so happy. YES the band works. It took me several months of "Bandster Hell" to push through and start seeing results. Now I'm in the Green Zone, I'm healthier, happier.

This is what most of us go through, dear Theas38. You are still healing. Realize you have made this decision and have started the PROCESS. You are just starting out and doing great! Know that it gets easier, the band works, and in no time at all, you will be writing a post like this with a smile on your face in support of another newly banded person on the forum who wrote a post just like yours.

Hang in there!

Thank you very much for the ecouraging posts. It is good to know i am not alone.

You are not alone! We've all been new to this! :-) There is lots to learn but I have found this forum an absolutely AMAZING place to find support, commiseration, advice and encouragement.

This is the perfect place to share victories and problems. Lots of nice friendly people who have walked that road ahead.

Even though every ones journey is individual , there are lots of hints and advice when we reach a fork (ha) in the road.

I feel like I'm not alone on my banded trip through life with my cyber friends!

I don't want to discourage you, but I was in Bandster Hell for 4 months before I got my 3rd fill which gave me enough restriction/hunger diminishing to start to lose lots of weight. For some, it comes immediately after surgery but for many it can be weeks or months before that hunger is diminished.

Thanks. I go in for my first fill tomorrow, Im a tad nervous.

I feel very dizzy sometimes. I manage to drink about 50 oz of Water a day.

I feel very dizzy sometimes. I manage to drink about 50 oz of Water a day.

This could be caused by so many things! I read that your blood pressure is low and your heart rate is 51? That's not normal. I know for me, I was still taking my high blood meds and standing up quickly or when I'd stop exercising I'd get dizzy to the point of nearly passing out. Stopped the meds and all is good now. Good luck.

I agree when I got my band I felt like it was not working because I could eat but when I went to the doctor he explained that I was in the healing stage and since then I have lost 76 pounds in 7 months

I have never been on bp meds so my doctor said to increase my salt intake. I did an my problem has improved. Thank you for ur reply.

I had my surgery on September 17th. Down 22 lbs and haven't had a fill yet. The only thing is that I have stomach cramps, almost like menstrual cramps . Has anyone experienced this?