Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today marks 12 days post-op. I was very on top of getting all of my fluids in the first few days after surgery and being home, but then the next few days were a mix of fluids and required Protein (also in liquid form, some shakes, some broth), but it seems these last few days I've been managing to get in my Protein goals but it's had me sacrificing my Fluid intake.

I'm trying very hard, but at this point I still find it impossible to get my goal combination of fluids and protein in one day.

And since the last few days have ended up being protein days, today I'm just SO thirsty. I just want to be able to drink like I used to, able to swallow full mouthfuls of Water that would quickly sate my nagging thirst. But I know those days are gone and I'll be lucky to handle a few ounces quickly as I'm farther out. So I would really appreciate some advice from the veterans...

I'm so thirsty. And I WANT to drink my Water. I try the "sip, sip, sip" method, but it is so unsatisfying that I feel like I'm losing my mind. Not to mention I've been trying to figure out exactly how I'm swallowing my sips or holding them in my mouth, because for some reason I'm inevitably having pressure or air bubbles almost every other sip and I don't know why. I've tried bottles with different sized openings (think the small opening of a standard water bottle versus the opening of a Powerade or Gatorade type bottle), I've tried waiting different lengths of time between sips, I've tried room temperature versus chilled water, I've tried all manners of trying to swallow the sips effortlessly to not swallow air and then I'm still punished with the air pressure.

Can't anyone offer something that will help me?

Try a straw. Works great for me. That thirsty feeling will go away. I'm 9 wks out. You'll be able to drink more. I had to add Water with AJ or a little Gatorade in the beginning. I had water nausea and for some reason that helped. Now I put oranges in my water. I need tons of ice. It'll get better, I promise. ❤️

Edited by TJBintheOC

@@TJBintheOC thanks for the reply. But what about the doctor, nurses, and dietician all emphatically insisting that I don't use straws pretty much ever?

I was given a straw to drink from 12 hours after surgery - medically the straw thing is a myth. I found either with a straw or without you still take in air.

For some using a straw takes in more air and for some it causes nausea. The only way you will know is to try. The days of taking a big swallow are not gone, just on hold for a short while. You will be able to drink normally again soon. Hang in there!!

I found it much more comfortable to drink with a straw back then, and even now at 4 months out it still is my preference.

@@theother_onefoot I was told no straws and if your doctor gave you a packet it should also state that on there as well. I feel the exact same way that you do! I too sometimes feel just so thirsty and wish I could chug Water like I used to before the surgery. I basically just listen to my bodys needs and drink water. I've gotten kind of sick of my Proteins but I think that slowly I'll get back into drinking them. I would definitely recommend against using a straw. I was told its bad because you're basically adding more air into your new pouch which can be harmful to you.

@@theother_onefoot I also wanted to mention that I spoke with my surgeon about this issue and he told me that I could be low on electrolytes. Therefore consuming some sugar free Powerade and what not should help out with that feeling of constant thirst.

Another problem with the straw is that it will allow you to take in more volume of liquid. Your new stomach is still pretty inflamed and will have hardening scar tissue that will not be very elastic. The increased volume of liquid may surpass your stomach volume. And then you puke.

That being said, I use a straw now. My surgeon told me in the beginning never ever use a straw. At a follow up visit, he asked how I was doing holding food and liquid down and I replied that everything was pretty great actually. But my liquid intake was still pretty low. He then told me I could use the straw since I was not having any vomiting issues.

Powerade is a good idea at this stage too. The electrolytes are just salt. It will help you retain the fluids you need at this point.