Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stupid things people say when they find out you've had surgery....

@@Megall9

It is hard to realize that you are the fatter fat friend to the fat friend. LOL My friend is stuggling with that right now I think. She doesn't say much right now, but I used to have a good 100 plus pounds on her and I am taller than her. Now that I have lost weight I am close to her size if not smaller than her right now even though I weigh a little more than her. Last time we went shopping I was just one or 2 sizes larger than her, I could tell she was uncomfortable but to her credit she tried to hide it. When you know someone a long time, they can't hide much. She doesn't know I had surgery though, she thinks it is just Keto and working out, I am sure after the next 20lbs or so she is going to have questions.

I can't wait to see the real you. WTH, I'm not real now? Only skinny people are real? Whatever, she is not the brightest crayon in the box so, Water off a ducks back!

That reminds me of the comment a couple of years ago from one of my best friends. Having been to Weight Watchers and lost a bit (not that much) weight she came out with 'I'm getting my old friend back'. Thanks pal! Thought friends were friends were friends whatever shape they were/are/become. That's why I didn't tell her I was having my sleeve done. A very level headed mutual friend told her after I'd had the op which must have given her food for thought, and when she called me she kept her opinions to herself and shut her trap. I knew that if I had told her before my surgery she would have told me all the negatives about gastric sleeves that she had 'heard' about. Funny how some people know so much about a subject that in reality they know absolutely sod all about!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrr.

Edited by jintycb

"Your husband must be so happy now!". Really?! Because our relationship must have been completely based on looks and at 100 lbs heavier I must have somehow been a disappointment to him? I'm not sure how people realizes this sounds, but to me it implies that I went through surgery only for my husband's personal happiness and not my own!!

Yep. I find this really disrespectful to my husband too. Just because you are a superficial A-hole doesn't mean he is!

I work in the oilfield (read: rough and tumble guys without an ounce of tact), a friend had the sleeve in April last year, 280ish to 185 yesterday. I was asked if I wanted to look like him a, and I quote, "starving ethiopian". Trust me, my skin is thicker than my waistline. :D

People don't question whether I have had WLS, even at my job where they talk about others who have. Part of this is because, I was eating healthy prior to surgery, I was working out prior to surgery. I just was not losing the weight. But what people saw was no matter how little I was losing, I kept at it. After surgery, and the weight become to finally come off, they notice and they say things to acknowledge the loss, but they don't ask what I am doing, or how I lost it, because they see the work.

That being said, no one says anything negative regarding those who have had a WLS either, at least not to my knowledge anyway.

@@MissyMissSkinny hello I hope you have a good experience I'm glad I did it just remember the only opinion that really counts is yours it's your life your decision pay no attention to critics and comments don't let the negative nellys take up space in your mind as long as you have researched and understand the situation and are comfortable with it then you do you no one else is entitled to any explanation as to your reasons or has the right to lecture judge or criticize your decision this kind of situation sometimes means we must be our own cheerleaders and just put one foot in front of the other and keep moving best of luck

I tell any and every one I can. I do it... for me. I'm a pretty open person and seeing and hearing from so many has been good for me. I've had several of my "friends" on Fb message me about them considering surgery. They ask questions, some are the same ones asked of others in this forum, but I know they all ask out of actual curiosity and not in judgement.

It feels awesome to have helped others in their journey, no matter the distance between us. I don't get offended when others claim that "I cheated", because anyone who has had WLS knows it's not simple or easy

I told a certain friend I had the surgery done only because she had been harping on me to go out to dinner and drinks almost everyday! Big mistake cuz she is so annoying, I'm only 2 months post op and she keeps asking me how skinny am I ? And when I do run into her she wants me to take my coat off and twirl cuz she wants to see how skinny I am.. I'm like damn, there is no magic wand I don't become instantly skinny!! Ugh just go away please! It's why I don't tell anyone!

Gotta love my 140 lb. mom...when I told her I was having surgery she said, "I want to have it with you, how did you get approved?" Then she said, "I don't know why you think you need it, you look nice".

So I look nice at 312 lbs, and she needs wls at 140? No wonder I have weight issues.

Bellabloom, sounds like it was best you saw his true colors. What a jerk, I don't know why our society has just become so mean. Who made that rule, and civility is a thing of the past???? There are wonderful men out there, he just wasn't one of them.