Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone tried protein shots?

Hi everyone! My RNY is in about three weeks, so I'm working on getting everything in order for my post-op diet. I've come across something called "Protein shots." They're basically 3-4 oz drinks with about 20-45 grams of Protein each. They're made by various companies and come in a variety of flavors. Most are very low in fat and sugar. Here's an example of one i'm looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FKJLPM/ref=pd_luc_rh_sim_01_01_t_img_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Has anyone had experience with these? I'm thinking they could be a miracle for the liquid phase when it's a struggle to drink enough protein through shakes that might be gritty or not taste so good.

They are so nasty, I can't even explain. You are better off using something watery like Syntrax and using less Water and a full scoop.

They have a aquired taste. For the benefit of 42 grams in 3.2oz you can get through them. Taste is not best but they are doable.

I use the "New whey Protein shots" occasionally, and have for years. I don't think they're that bad....although I don't sip them like I would a nice bourbon. :) The one's I use are 42 grams per tube....so I only take about half at once. Then half a bit later.

There is Protein in tubes as well. As others have said it is doable but far from enjoyable. Some of the protein waters are quite nice, Vitamin World and GNC both have them. liquid yogurt was nice after surgery as well a protein shakes.Good luck.

1. They're disgusting! I find that they taste just a little bit like baby vomit would. Not that I've tasted baby vomit, but you don't forget that smell...

2. Before surgery you could shoot them and get in Protein "quickly," but after your body won't benefit from that. And despite the fact that they are low in sugar, you could dump them from taking down that much Protein too quickly. The ones I did have, I diluted very very heavily with cold cold COLD Water and then I never bought them again.

My post op instructions state you should make 20G of protein last about an hour if you're drinking it, so trying to quickly take down 42G at once might cause some digestive problems as your body tries to process it.

They are Nastey! Tried to gulp them down......no way

Just a warning on those Protein shots. One of my nutritionists told me about this and I did some research on them (going so far as to make a spreadsheet that calculates the PDCAAS) but they are not complete. Most shots use Gelatin based Protein that do not contain enough of all the essential amino acids to really count as a full amount of protein.

Search about PDCAAS. It's a digestibility score for protein based on the amounts of the essential amino acids in a product. If you actually calculate it out (I have) those Protein Shots only give you the equivalent of a few grams of protein. Now, if you mix the shots with other protein sources that have an abundance of what the shots are deficient in (if I remember right, the shots I looked at were deficient in tryptophan), then you can count it all, but don't rely on those shots alone as you will be deficient in some amino acids and thus the 'whole' protein you need. (You can get the amino acids breakdown on product labels or websites for supplements, typically, but only plugging it into an equation will tell you how much it really counts.)

Edited by Boombalatty

Thank you guys for all the info! Glad I checked here before I made the investment.

Very cool info! Thanks everyone.

I am using the New whey Protein shots, but only as a small part of my Protein program, especially since they are not a "complete" protein. Here's what I'm doing: I pour 1/2 of a container in my 20-0z container of ice Water in the morning and shake it. This dilutes it enough that it doesn't taste at all bad. In fact, I like it better than plain Water (which used to be my absolute favorite beverage, but which now tastes metaliic.) I drink the water + protein throughout my morning. That gives me 21 grams of protein. But I try to get most of my protein from food, and I'm not really using other powders or Protein drinks much (can't stand the bottled/canned Protein Drinks -- they are just too sweet!)

If I could find a great tasting powder or liquid Protein to put in coffee , I would be in heaven!

I would just go to Sam's Club and get the Premieur shakes. They are cheap and yummy

They truly are nasty......but Premier Protein shakes are very good.

Edited by kj44

My nut also said the shots aren't complet Protein and not to use them