Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going back to just protein shakes?

I'm 2.5 months out. I'm supposed to be getting between 700 and 800 calories a day. I think. My bariatric center's dietitian's guidelines seem to be based on the assumption of 1000 calories per day... but they told me to stay between 700 and 800 at this point, so ??? I assume that we are not supposed to factor calories burnt in exercise into out intake, and anyway I have mainly been walking, not doing Cross Fit or training for a marathon or anything, so when though My Fitness Pal says I still have x number of calories left after exercise, I ignore it. I've seen a number of people on these boards who were still only getting 500-600 calories at the point I'm at, too... so maybe I'm waaaaayyyyy over my calorie limits already.

The dietitian that was based out of my bariatric center location left right around the time I had my surgery, and at my last follow-up, they still didn't have a new one yet, so they had the dietitian at their other location (in Maryland, I'm in Pennsylvania) call me to try and answer some of my questions, since the post-op info I was given gets super-vague after 8 weeks out, and I had been given contradictory info by the two different physician's assistants in the practice.

I've gotten the sense that everyone in the practice is irritated by my demanding specific numbers that I should be aiming for (and I'm (in)famous among the staff for my binder of notes that I carry to every appointment), but the off-site dietitian did acquiesce to emailing me a sheet of basic guidelines (the aforesaid 1000-calorie plan). The guidelines for Protein are fairly low (60-80g), and the guidelines for carbs are pretty high (130g). Fat is supposed to be kept to 25-30 grams per day.

I'm trying to get at least 80 grams of Protein and stay under 50 grams of carbs. I know that amount of carbs is still obscenely high for a lot of people on here, but I was having so much trouble with Constipation that I started having oatmeal (1/2 packet of the reduced sugar kind w/ 1/2 scoop of protein powder) for Breakfast each day.

Anyway, three times in the past week, I went over my 800-calorie limit, and I'm freaking out. I went 13 calories over on Sunday, with a whopping 8 grams too much of carbs; 5 calories over on Monday, with 1 gram of carbs too many; and 26(!!!) calories over yesterday (through carbs were still in the acceptable range) when I forgot to track a spoonful of coffee Creamer (which I shouldn't have even had in the first place, I know).

I'm not in a stall right now, but I feel like I am heading for major disaster. I had been tracking every single effing thing I put in my mouth so religiously since a couple months before surgery, and the fact that I screwed up like that yesterday worries me immensely. Am I on the path back to the way I was before?

I'm a lower BMI, so while I don't have as much to lose as some people, I also know that my rate of loss is likely to slow way down soon, possibly come to a grinding halt, and I worry constantly about my "honeymoon period" ending and not having reached my goal. Every day I worry that this is it, I'm just not going to lose any more. I'm within ten pounds of the lightest I've been since college, and it terrifies me that I'll be heading into the unknown soon, as far as further weight loss goes. Can my body (and/or brain) just not make it any further? Am I just too weak of a person to handle this?

I had been feeling so positive about things, and felt that I could eat most types of foods--meats, dairy, eggs, veggies, fruits (albeit in small amounts), go out to eat while making healthy choices, and feel like a "normal" person. Well, obviously I'm not normal, and it's looking like I can't handle expanding my diet. I'm thinking about going back to just having 3 Protein shakes a day (and plenty of Water, of course) for a week or two. I will definitely have to take a daily laxative if I do that. Has anyone gone back to liquids only and had success?

Holy buckets, you are sure hard on yourself! No one is 100% perfect, nor are we be expected to be. You are very diligent in your tracking and cognizant of your Protein, Water and carb consumption. That is awesome! Please don't beat yourself up over a few calories or grams of carbs. :)

PS - I'm very anxious to hear from anyone who has gone back to Protein shakes/water for a week or two!

Why not replace 2 meals with Protein shakes? One in the morning and one at night.

And yes, getting the right nutritional information is like pulling teeth. I keep thinking there is some kind of malpractice or legal issue that holds them back, because it just doesn't add up.

Holy buckets, you are sure hard on yourself! No one is 100% perfect, nor are we be expected to be.

You sound like my therapist! :)

I'm so sorry you're going through all of this. I was completely addicted to food and knew this surgery was the only way I could lose weight and keep it off. All I did was read diet books and obsess about my calories, carbs...every morsel I put in my mouth. In my opinion, you must relax. All this stress you are feeling is going to hinder your weight loss. I feel like we got this surgery to stop counting calories and obsessing about everything we put in our mouth. I eat what sounds good and stop when I'm full. I've lost 40lbs in 2 months. I don't keep track of anything. You are way too hard on yourself. It's about the journey, not the destination. Be happy along the way. You'll get there. Trust yourself. Love yourself enough to know you've got this. See what happens if you let all this stressing go and listen to your body. It won't fail you. I feel your pain and anxiety. Good luck. Trust yourself. ❤️