Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

I was wondering how everyone was setting their ultimate goal weight? Is it based on a historic weight that you were comfortable at? Did your surgeon decide? Are you just setting a general number and then seeing where your weight settles?

My surgeon didn't set a goal weight for me. I'm 5'4 and decided on 135, because historically, I've always fallen been the most comfortable between 130-145 and a size 6-8. I'm worried that I'm setting myself up for disappointment if I can't reach that. What are everyone else's thoughts?

Thanks!

J

My surgeon never mentioned any goal weight ever I'm 6 months post op sleeve they seem to only worry about if your losing and continue to lose and follow the diet perhaps when I get closer to what I should weigh it will come up

My surgeon never set a goal weight for me. I used the basic BMI calculator to determine what weight would put me at a normal BMI.

That's a really good question! I think back to my happiest weight, and that was about 140. Even then, I was still a 12-14 pant size. A big booty and thick thighs will probably never really disappear on me. I also wonder how hard my end goal will be when there will undoubtedly be extra skin. I guess the weight of the extra skin varies from person to person. I'm going to set small, obtainable goals so that I don't set myself up for failure. Sounds like an okay plan to me.

This is a really interesting question. I'm having a hard time picking a goal weight as well. I guess to start with I would choose 175 because I know it's possible. I've been there before. However, I think my real goal weight is more like 150. It's possible I weighed 150 at some point in my life, but I certainly don't remember it. I think my left leg weighs 150...

Boogirl6,

Finally there is someone else that wears a size 12 around 140 pounds. I've read so many woman on here that can fit into a size 4-8 when they weigh 140.

I currently weigh 128 and can fit into an 8 or 6. Others at my same weight claim that they can fit into a size 4. I would have to break my hip bones to get into a 4 or smaller.

Those sizes and weights may depend on height and how your proportioned my sister is 5'10 and a size 8 eats practically nothing and works out two hours a day and thinks she's fat yeah I know I've nearly slapped the hell out of her lol I know other women that are shorter but a wear a size or two up try not to compare yourself to others it's self defeating and it does no good we need to stop trying to look like 12 year olds and allowing society to say we should

Boogirl6,

Finally there is someone else that wears a size 12 around 140 pounds. I've read so many woman on here that can fit into a size 4-8 when they weigh 140.

I currently weigh 128 and can fit into an 8 or 6. Others at my same weight claim that they can fit into a size 4. I would have to break my hip bones to get into a 4 or smaller.

You do know vanity sizing has changed things, right? I am 135 and wear a current size 4, but I have a dress size 12 from the year I got married 20 years ago and it's only barely too big for me!

My surgeon never set a goal for me. I set mine by where I historically felt for and comfortable (165). Blew right by that and my body just settled at 135. I think your body may just find its own way.

That's a really good question! I think back to my happiest weight, and that was about 140. Even then, I was still a 12-14 pant size. A big booty and thick thighs will probably never really disappear on me. I also wonder how hard my end goal will be when there will undoubtedly be extra skin. I guess the weight of the extra skin varies from person to person. I'm going to set small, obtainable goals so that I don't set myself up for failure. Sounds like an okay plan to me.

When was that? You might be surprised with vanity sizing what size you might wear at the same weight now! We never had size 0 00 and 000 back in my day LoL! They were size 2 4 and 6. So that would make a current 4 maybe a 10! Things have really changedn

When was that? You might be surprised with vanity sizing what size you might wear at the same weight now! We never had size 0 00 and 000 back in my day LoL! They were size 2 4 and 6. So that would make a current 4 maybe a 10! Things have really changedn

That's very true. I think it also depends on your bone structure. I'm small-boned, so I'd be a larger size at say, 145-150 and 5'4 than someone with a large bone structure.

My NUT and I discussed it on my last appointment before surgery. She asked me what I thought would be a good weight for me which I think is around 140. She said my goal weight then could/should be between 135-145. Staying where I am comfortable without being too hard to maintain!

setting ultimate goal weight?

@@jjyogalove

my doc/NUT never gave me a goal weight either :huh:

i set my goal weight at my favorite, lowest weight about 20 years ago

don't set yourself up for failure by putting your goal at too low of a number :blink:

if you think your weight realistically can/should be 150 - use that number for goal

IF you are approaching that number and you realize you can go to a lower number :)

adjust the weight goal

it's better to set the weight goal at a little higher point and lower the number if you can

when your expectations are too high and you can't reach goal

you will have to raise that number of goal :mellow:

good luck with sleeve surgery

kathy

That's very true. I think it also depends on your bone structure. I'm small-boned, so I'd be a larger size at say, 145-150 and 5'4 than someone with a large bone structure.

I was 5'5" 140 lbs. of pure muscle in a size 14 back in 1996. We certainly didn't have a size 0 to try and aspire to back then. I think I went from kid clothes right into at least a women's size 12. I have thick legs which are muscular when I'm in shape, and wide hips no matter what. I don't care what size I end up at...I just remember how good I felt at 140, with boundless energy. Remember feeling hyper? Ahhhh, those were the days. ;)

My surgeon didn't set a goal weight but did tell me he expected I would lose about 100 lbs. I mentioned that 110 lbs would get me to my desired weight, which I guess would be my goal. He said that with good adherence to the nutrition and exercise recommendations he didn't see any reason why I couldn't hit my target.