Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering... has anyone been in my boat!?

So I am 5.2 and come into 75kg ... which I completely understand and know is not obese. I am 24 yo.However am over weight. My mother father and one sister ate morbidity obese and I have two siblings with type 2 diabetes.

since I was 8 I have struggled with my weight. .. Therefore I have been obsessed with diets and calorie counting my whole life. I exercide five times weekly and run six km three times a week. I play soccer also.

Anyway. ..I am tired!!! I feel like I see the future ahead of me and it does not look pretty.

From reading people's reviews... they all wish they could of done this sooner. Prevent all the lose of confidence and self esteem.

My question is... will a surgeon even consider me as I do not fit into the bmi and diabetes criteria!??

Thank you ... any advice would help.

I would have loved to be your size lol..i highly doubt it, i think you going through surgery can be dangerous and risky...thats why there is a requirement.

You can always go to a doctor and find out if they would do it.

I can't answer for whether a surgeon will consider you as a candidate or not. In the U.S., in addition to the surgeon, most people have to meet insurance company requirements, too which almost always require that you are at least obese.

The best thing to do is talk to your doctor.

Even if you aren't a candidate for surgery, you can start making changes now. Whether or not you have surgery you can still consult a good dietitian or nutritionist and even a therapist to help you break the yo-yo dieting cycle.

Best of luck.

seeing as i dont know your bmi i would say talk to a nutritionist and see if there is a diet plan that fits your level of activity because you might not be getting in enough of the right calories to lose the weight you want

@@lakiaki You actually are just into the obesity range at 30 BMI. However, you don't meet the typical criteria (40 BMI, or 35 BMI with complication) for sleeve or RNY. There is a recent movement to perform lapband on lower weight patients like yourself who have far less to lose than, for example, I do. The question is, since that is a more conservative procedure that has far lower success rates, do you really want to go through the trouble? I don't actually know why they expanded the eligibility to 30-35 for lapband, since these are the patients least likely to see any benefit.

You can probably find a doctor that will do it at 30 BMI, however, you may have to convince him that the DM2 prevalent in your family counts as a comorbidity, as even within this expanded category, a complication is typically required at 30 BMI.

Do not...repeat DO NOT...attempt to gain weight to gain eligibility. The road you are facing right now is far easier than it would be even with a better surgical option.

I know exactly how you feel! I was at 30 BMI (so just into the obese category) and completely miserable. Self esteem was nothing and I was constantly thinking about the weight. It was torture!! I was trying to lose the weight but had no success.

I went to Mexico and had surgery on July 11 and it was the best decision I've made in a long time. I've got from obese to overweight to normal weight in the 6 weeks since. My BMI has gone from 30 to 23.6 and i feel amazing. It's not easy, but life is so much better than it was 2 months ago.

Some say I wasn't "that big" or think I should have just lost the weight on my own (again, I was certainly trying) and I certainly wouldn't have been a candidate for free surgery under our canadian health care system (or your American insurance). However, the impact of my weight was both physically and emotionally impacting me in a very negative way so that can't be tossed aside. I was suffering and being free from that us honestly the best gift I've given myself!!

Edited by Remix

I have been on yo-yo diets,hcg, phentermine, I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and my bmi is 30. I have weighed my options about the sleeve and looking to hear about others that have undergone the procedure in Mexico( what feedback do u have for me? All responses appreciated.

I have a BMI just over 29 and am getting sleeved in Mexico on January 11th. Like others, I'm not morbidly obese, but if I don't do something soon, in 5 or 10 years I'm sure I will be.

i too am in your boat where most will say i am "not even that big"...ugh. I am 5'7" and 208 so about a 32-33 BMI. my insurance requires 40 or over BMI or 35 with co-morbidities but thankfully my surgeon (i am in Alabama) performs the procedure on those with 30 or more BMI but I am self pay. i thought about it a lot and decided it is totally worth getting my life back. my dad passed a few years ago and he was over 400lbs and my mom is larger so i know if i don't stop my food problem now it will just get worse.

Good Luck!!!