Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to expect in the hospital

Hi everyone, this is my first post and I'm hoping it will post correctly lol ...I will have surgery September 1st and was trying to get an idea what to expect in the hospital? Of course like many I am super scared, nervous and yet very excited. But I wanted to know what kinds of things you absolutely needed in the hospital and things you wish you had? what kind of clothes you packed? How long were you affected by the anesthesia? ....anything will help

I think I'm starting to freak out a little lol

#1 on my list would be a toothbrush and tooth paste and a close 2nd would be chapstick! I also brought a pillow, my Kindle, an extra set of clothes - comfy (but just put on what I wore to the hospital the first day) and slippers (or flip flops). All I remember is being wheeled into the OR being in there not long at all (seemed less than a min.) and then waking up in my hospital room bed. Slept most of the day but walked around the halls late afternoon. The evening was not very restful because they would come in for vitals - but everyone was really nice and helpful. Once they knew I could keep down liquids and was able to use the bathroom (#1), I was discharged. Hopes this helps! :) Good luck!

#1 on my list would be a toothbrush and tooth paste and a close 2nd would be chapstick! I also brought a pillow, my Kindle, an extra set of clothes - comfy (but just put on what I wore to the hospital the first day) and slippers (or flip flops). All I remember is being wheeled into the OR being in there not long at all (seemed less than a min.) and then waking up in my hospital room bed. Slept most of the day but walked around the halls late afternoon. The evening was not very restful because they would come in for vitals - but everyone was really nice and helpful. Once they knew I could keep down liquids and was able to use the bathroom (#1), I was discharged. Hopes this helps! :) Good luck!

Thank you for your response. It does help. I am hoping it will fly by like that as well.

I brought only:

Cell phone

CPAP machine and Water

Comfy clothes to wear home

I wish I had brought my favorite pillow. It would have made sleeping and the ride home much easier.

The hospital supplied everything else.

My surgery was at 6:30 am and I was discharged at 5 pm same day. I brought Chapstick with me. Believe me you will need it. I brought a pillow for the ride home. And I wore comfy clothes to the hospital. My hospital supplied toothpaste and toothbrush. And believe me you will need that too after the swallow test. Yuk! Not a bad experience at all but it is nerve wracking not knowing what to expect. You will be thrilled by hie decision a few days after surgery. Just remember to walk, walk, walk to get rid of any gas that you may experience. They had me up walking as soon as I came out of recovery.

Just sleeved Tuesday and I would say number one would be your pillow and a phone charger. I honestly could care less about my toothbrush or anything else I was so sick. Don't expect to get a ton of sleep either. I was discharged after one day despite the fact that I could not get liquids down. Thinking now that might have been a bad idea and I should have insisted on staying. Luckily I've been able to get some fluids in today. Good luck to you.

I had RNY on 8-17. I stayed in the hospital one night. Things I loved having were chapstick, my slippers (they were great to have walking the halls after surgery) and a pillow from home. I would also suggest loose fitting clothes to wear home. Good luck!!

I just spoke with a nurse who had bypass and also works at the hospital where our surgeon is. She suggested buying an ultra cheap egg crate topper to put on top of the bed as she said she could never get comfortable in the bed. I would have never thought of that but do remember some very uncomfortable hospital beds!

I was sleeved on this past Monday. I remember being wheeled into the hall headed to OR, then waking up in my own room. I took a bunch of stuff I didn't even use like my kindle, 2 pairs of Jammies, extra socks, etc. I couldn't wear my pajamas because the didn't work with the IV line. I couldn't wear my socks because I had to wear the compression socks that they gave me, with the hospital grade non skid socks. No underwear for my 3 days, which was actually a help because I had them take that catheter out when I woke up so I kept running to the bathroom. Between them taking my vitals and walking me every 4 hours, sleep was no where to be had! I didn't even turn in the TV . I wish I'd have bought my pillow though. A body pillow or pregnancy pillow would have helped wonders!

I stayed two nights in hospital. The only thing I used was Chapstick. Hospital had everything else (toothbrush and paste, lotion etc). I left in the same clothes I came in (loose fitting). I did bring my iPad but just used my time resting and healing and walking. Best of Luck on this incredible life saving journey.

surgery September 1st

@@readyforthislifechange

hi bud

you are about 3 weeks PO

and you are sill around to talk about it :lol:

do you mind if i ask your beginning stats

not showing on profle

inquiring minds want to know (i'm nosey LOL)

if you'd rather not share, that's ok too!!

do tell, how has experience been so far??

hope things are going well

getting in your Water, liquids etc

take things slowly

follow alll the rules

you are on the way to a healthier, happier, longer life :)

who deserves it more

keep up the good work

i know you will

don't worry about this being your 1rst post

you did a great job ;)

best of luck to you

kathy