Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

my surgery from band to gastric bypass

I was banded may 2013. My first year went like textbook. i lost a total of 81 lbs and felt great. But than problems started and july of 2014 my band was emptied and stayed empty for a year. My surgeon didn't want to put any fill in do to the complications i had. We discussed revision and on july 31,2015 i was revised to a gastric bypass. Surgery was difficult due to adhesions and scar tissue. When the band was placed i had gone to surgery to have a bypass but that surgeon couldn't do it do to the scarring. When i was in the recovery room the first words out of my mouth were ,what type of surgery? if he couldnt do the bypass i signed papers for a sleeve. but he was successful. I was so happy. post surgery i have had no complications. Have lost 27 lbs in 26 days. and am doing well with my new way of eating.

Oh yeah this band is coming out...bypass once and for all..How are you doing in regards to acid reflux?

I have none. With the band I had to take severe precautions to prevent it and even then it didn't help.

I just had all the Fluid drained....oh boy....

Try and keep your self filled with healthy food. The temptation is to convince yourself that is ok to eat something because you haven't had it for a long time and your band is wide open. It is real easy to put back on the weight

I am so happy for you, finally getting the procedure that you wanted! :)

I was able to change Dr within the same practice.I was told I have to sort of start over,see a NUT,psych evaluation....

i had to see a nut and my psychiatrist whom i see on a regular basis wrote a letter indicating i was fine mentally to undergo the procedure. i found the nut to be very helpful. this surgery is a whole new ballgame. its easier in a lot of ways but food is harder. i have restriction that i never achieved with the band. i am still very pleased with everything.

No dumping?

None I do get nauseated at times. I had a stuck episode once. The first time I ate solid food of chicken. It wasn't pleasant and I will be avoiding it forever.