Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone used Dr. Myers in Reading, PA?

Hi! Is there anyone that has chosen Dr. Stephan Myers at the Weight Management Center thru Reading Health System, Reading PA? I went to the required seminar to start the ball rolling on 8/6. As of today, 8/25, I still have not heard from them. I emailed both the Patient Representatives, one of them twice, as they advised us to do rather than calling. After no response I did call one of them and left a msg on her voicemail. Maybe this is normal to wait this long to be contacted after the seminar, I don't know. I just feel like 3 weeks have been wasted, and wondering if anyone else has had this problem with them. Thanks!

I have not used them. I think that is a long time with no contact. I am reasonably close to you and I used Barix Clinic in Langhorne, PA. I would recommend you talk to them. My surgeon is no longer with them but I liked the facility and Dr. Marymor is still there. Dr. Marymore has 13 years of experience as a bariatric surgeon.

Barix Clinic was over an hour drive for me. I really liked that they essentially only perform Bariatric Surgery at this facility. I felt that the experience this provided for the surgeon and support staff increased my chances for a complication free recovery. Since they do not have sick patients in the same hospital, using the same radiology, same orderlies etc... I feel that it was less likely that I would get a secondary infection while there.

The nurses I had during my 3 days in-patient all had been working together as bariatric nurses for 11+ years. I thought the staffing ratio was great.

I would say 2 of the drawbacks on the facility was lack of Wi-Fi and the TVs in the room are really tiny and on those swivel things. I am not a TV watcher so no big deal there.

I had a great experience and had a textbook recovery and have had great weightloss.

I finally heard from them today. She said my registration sheet got left in her folder. I go see the internist on the 23rd. My ins requires three month nutritional counseling so I'm probably looking at surgery late Dec early Jan. Kinda hoping for Jan to avoid the holidays and having to be on a liquid diet during that time! LOL

If you prefer January you should be able to ask to schedule it for January rather than December.

A few reminders- if you have all your pre-op in 2015 you will have met your deductible and part of any out of pocket limit for 2015. Come January that deductible will reset and you will need to meet it again in 2016. Depending on how big of an out of pocket limit you have if you get everything done in 2015 you likely will meet it with the hospital stay and part of the bills will be at 100%. If you split it between 2 policy years then you may not meet it in either year and have to pay more out of pocket.

You also risk that upon plan renewal in January your plan could change to eliminate bariatric coverage. (Unlikely) Your deductible and coinsurance could be increased for 2016.

So while it is tough to be doing a liquid diet over the holidays you may want to look closely at the financial aspects of spanning 2 policy years for pre-op and surgery. Plus you can say New Year New You and actually be able to meet that New Year's resolution to lose weight.

Nikki, thank you! Because in all this euphoria of deciding to have it done I didn't even think about the 2016 deductible starting over! Good job of reminding me!