Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much does my stomach hold? Not feeling "the full feeling" at all.

Hello All!

I am 8 days post op and on full liquids now. I have yet to feel that "full" feeling. Everyone said that I would be barely able to tolerate 4 oz. at a time. When I get to the 4 oz mark-I am still hungry and don't feel a thing. Don't you think that is kind of strange? I see two possibilities. One, my stomach is kind of long, so it can hold more liquids. (I am 6'1') or Two, I have some major case of head hunger. If this is the case, I am in big trouble! Any thoughts on combating this are welcome.

I didn't get the full feeling until I got to the soft stage. I don't get physical hunger but sure do get head hunger. Not having foods I can't have in the house helps.

I am 22 days post op and still get hungry every 2 hours and can also eat more then 4 oz and I am only 5'4", so I don't know why some of us are hungry and can eat more and some people can barely eat anything. I have a call into the NUT to discuss this, as I have only lost 4 lbs since surgery and getting myself very upset. I keep hearing we are all different and it will happen, when. If my body is in starvation mode when does it give up the fat, so I know how you feel.

I never got the full feeling on liquids. I had some refried Beans and there it was. Be patient, it's coming.

I'm glad you brought this up, because I have been thinking the same thing! I'm only 13 days post-op, and for the first 4 days or so, I could only take small sips, and couldn't drink a whole 4 oz, but then once the pain of the operation got less, I was able to drink in normal size gulps, and I can drink way more than 4 oz. In fact I'm just polishing off an 8 oz glass of juice/water! Are you like that?

Even now that I am on full fluids and on Protein shakes, I still don't get full. I make enough for my husband and myself, starting with 1 cup each of liquid, and sometimes I add frozen fruit or a banana to thicken it up, along with ice, and half of that comes out to almost 2 cups. I try to make myself drink slowly, but I drink the whole 2 cups worth within about 15 minutes. I really am hoping that I start to feel full once I start eating mushies! I've lost 22 pounds already, counting the weight I lost in the pre-surgery phase, but the last few days I have been going up and down around the same number, and think I might have hit a stall already!

I just realized when I am full and I'm at 7 weeks post op. It's weird because before now I was always nauseous after eating. Just figured out why. LOL

I'm glad you brought this up, because I have been thinking the same thing! I'm only 13 days post-op, and for the first 4 days or so, I could only take small sips, and couldn't drink a whole 4 oz, but then once the pain of the operation got less, I was able to drink in normal size gulps, and I can drink way more than 4 oz. In fact I'm just polishing off an 8 oz glass of juice/water! Are you like that?

Even now that I am on full fluids and on Protein shakes, I still don't get full. I make enough for my husband and myself, starting with 1 cup each of liquid, and sometimes I add frozen fruit or a banana to thicken it up, along with ice, and half of that comes out to almost 2 cups. I try to make myself drink slowly, but I drink the whole 2 cups worth within about 15 minutes. I really am hoping that I start to feel full once I start eating mushies! I've lost 22 pounds already, counting the weight I lost in the pre-surgery phase, but the last few days I have been going up and down around the same number, and think I might have hit a stall already!

I had a lap band that did not work out. I think that part of the problem was that I did not control my liquids that well. I am determined not to make the same mistake twice. I have done mostly ready to serve Protein Shakes because I don't want to overdo it. I have lost about 26 pounds since the pre-surgery diet and hoping the scale keeps going on that downward trend. I need to start getting more exercise now. My left side was problematic walking but is much better since I got an abdominal binder.

Oh god Same here I was hungry 4 days op and still freaking hungry. I don't understand why and it's bothering me

Fluids go right through your little sleeve. It's also very numb from being cut and stapled, so you won't have a lot of sensation. Once you start pureed foods, you'll feel it when you can only eat a couple bites. I had the same worries until I went to pureed. I even wondered if the doctor even did the surgery, lol.

I am a week post op and I too feel like none of my stomach was removed. I actually had my surgeon take a picture of how much was removed because I wanted to see. Now, I'm just glad I have proof! Lol. My question is how long can I expect to have stomach spasms?

I am about to start my 4th week out and am on pureed. My first 2 wks on liquids and shakes, I got down my 2 oz shakes like they were nothing. I've felt hunger, real stomach hunger like what it feels like when you've gone hours without eating, since week 2. Pureed has been my most miserable phase. I feel hungry, fatigued, pissed, irritable, impatient, undernourished and went the first week with no desire to eat. Now I want to eat and am stuck with greek yogurt and mashed potatoes as the only things Protein Powder dissolves in. I crave fresh food and anything of substance. This whole process will really mess with your head but I was told to follow doctors orders and I WILL stay the course in spite of the challenges. My gurgling has quieted down some, bowel movements are getting there since I started pureed, my gas is less often but still potent and I go to bed hungry. I'm actually scared to eat solids b/c my first week on pureed, I could feel everything go down, hurt, kinda come back up then finally go away. I was nauseous for days over the sensations. Got sick twice. I was so excited to start pureed and it's been so disappointing. But this is the bridge phase to soft/real foods so I know its going to improve and my sheer WILL is going to get me past this. We can do this!!! We've waited our whole lives for the freedom that awaits us!! Every gurgle, reflux and fart I just say its a small price to pay LOL!!! Hang in there with me!! My HW was 309, I think I was 291 pre-op and now I'm 264. It has begun!!!

I am about to start my 4th week out and am on pureed. My first 2 wks on liquids and shakes, I got down my 2 oz shakes like they were nothing. I've felt hunger, real stomach hunger like what it feels like when you've gone hours without eating, since week 2. Pureed has been my most miserable phase. I feel hungry, fatigued, pissed, irritable, impatient, undernourished and went the first week with no desire to eat. Now I want to eat and am stuck with greek yogurt and mashed potatoes as the only things Protein Powder dissolves in. I crave fresh food and anything of substance. This whole process will really mess with your head but I was told to follow doctors orders and I WILL stay the course in spite of the challenges. My gurgling has quieted down some, bowel movements are getting there since I started pureed, my gas is less often but still potent and I go to bed hungry. I'm actually scared to eat solids b/c my first week on pureed, I could feel everything go down, hurt, kinda come back up then finally go away. I was nauseous for days over the sensations. Got sick twice. I was so excited to start pureed and it's been so disappointing. But this is the bridge phase to soft/real foods so I know its going to improve and my sheer WILL is going to get me past this. We can do this!!! We've waited our whole lives for the freedom that awaits us!! Every gurgle, reflux and fart I just say its a small price to pay LOL!!! Hang in there with me!! My HW was 309, I think I was 291 pre-op and now I'm 264. It has begun!!!

all those pounds in 4 weeks? What has upset you about that? I am amazed and inspired by your story!! I was sleeved 12/30 and did have the starves one day. I wish i could chug a bottle of water!!! I am trying coffee right now. So far so good. HW 263

No idea what my current weight is....I haven't gotten on the scales since surgery. Tomorrow I visit DR and will see my numbers!!! Good luck - I am a good listener!!