Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 8 months post op VSG and am experiencing severe hair loss! I take lots of Biotin daily, Protein levels are high, feel fantastic otherwise with a 84 pound weight loss, at goal of 150 from 234. Is there anything else I can do to stop this Hair loss? Puddles of hair everywhere, on the pillow, in the bathroom. I had super thick hair to start with so no bald spots yet, but definite thinning at the temples and considerably shorter overall (started with mid back length, now up to shoulders). It is time to start addressing this issue more proactively! HELP!!

I lost a lot of hair - my stylist and I suspect it was about 30% loss. It was horrifying.

My doc said there isn't much you can do about the loss, but what you lose due to surgery will grow back. I found that to be true. My doc OK'd Biotin and folic acid, but that's for regrowth, not prevention.

I have gone thru 3 bouts of hairless - the first one, about 4 months post-op was the worst. My stylist was surprised when it grew back - she actually said, "It seems like it's growing in thicker!"

I went to a shorter cut to mask the hairloss. I also used a product called Toppik - it works exactly like the videos on their website show. I took my Vitamins, drank my Water and ate my Protein.

There is something called the Nioxin System that you can get at some beauty salons. After my Hair loss started AGAIN at about 10 months, I bought some from my hairdresser and it has slowed and almost stopped now. It smells mediciney, but it seems to work so I don't care! It's also a little spendy at $50 for the 3 part system, but worth it. My hair is actually starting to look a little healthier again, too!

I agree Hair loss is crazy for some of us. I am 14 months post op and still losing and what I have left is dry and brittle. I too get all my Vitamins, Protein, Water, take Biotin, folic acid, and even added liquid silica which seems to help the most. I could live with the thin hair if what I had looked soft and healthy.

I even added extra fruit and veggies to my diet. On my hair I have tried emu oil, coconut oil, almond oil, castor oil, and various essential oils.

@@Babbs maybe I will try the Nioxin. I am running out of options

@@glitter eyes

I'm 12 months. Your post sound exactly what has happened to my hair. My dietician told me I can't blame the surgery this far out. My lab work is all great. She suggested getting my hormone levels checked. I will try the liquid silica.

Mine slowed down some and now it is picking up again. It is the pits!

I believe the Hair loss happens with most people. I am a hairstylist so I was already familiar with the Nioxin products. Not only did I lose hair but my scalp "hurt" and itched after surgery. The Nioxin helped so much with the loss, itch and uncomfortable feel. Be sure to follow with the Scalp Therapy (second step) and leave on for a few minuets, rinsing with cool Water. After the loss slows down, you can alternate with Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shampoo (also comes in Lavender) and NO you can't use Sally Beauty Supply version of "tea tree" if you know a professional stylist maybe they will give you break on the price.

Edited by smash83

Thanks for the tips. It is worth a try even at $50. I can use the money I would have previously spent on eating out at lunch ????

Thanks for the tips. It is worth a try even at $50. I can use the money I would have previously spent on eating out at lunch ????

Ulta had the Nioxin set on sale this past week, don't know if it still is or not.

Geez. That is a big concern of mine. Hope if it does happen, it's not horrible. I lost quite a bit when I used voltaren on my neck. It is not approved for neck and spine but I have major neck issues and it made my tingling stop. I know. Not the best decision of mine. I don't want to lose anymore. Oh well. So be it if it does.

I luckily have curly hair and can kinda hide the Hair loss but I'm discovering bald spots everywhere! I try to only Shampoo every 3-4 days cuz it seems to be worse after shampooing. On my off poo days I just do a conditioner rinse being that I need all the conditioning I can get ???? I did have to dye my hair recently as that I'm a natural blonde but I have a ton of grays, super scared I was gonna need a wig afterwards, but it was surprisingly not too bad! Hang in there girls, maybe our head just wants to join the bandwagon and lose some weight too!!!!post-262002-14522173132581_thumb.jpg my crazy hair^^^

Mdlange, it will eventually slow down and stop. It's very scary to go through this phase, be assured it will stop.

Everyone's time frame is different. For me it started about 6 months after surgery and slowed down about 5 months later.

Talk to your hair stylist and ask for suggestions on what sort of style/cut will help you and your areas.

Tips:

For bald spots their is a powder you can use to help color in scalp so it's not so viable. Joan Collin's sold one too on QVC. Search Amazon too

You can get creative with dark eye shadows to your hair color. I use mascara for my gray hairs when I can't get to my stylist soon enough :)

I had long straight hair it was a very scary sight and feeling to go through, so I decided to layer it and it helped with the balding spots. Washed at night with Shampoo by nioxon for dandruff (lil expensive, but worth it) as I read it had extra zinc and when i start to see my hair start to shed again I go right back to using and it helps. Wash at night, I put a bit if mouse on, roll up in a bun, still semi-wet in the morning, I damp a bit more, blow dry hair head upside down (give it more volume) and scrunch up towards scalps, if you have it layered to style use round brush and blow dry to curl/style, flip head back upside down, lightly spray hair, scrunch again and flip hair over slight spray and your hair will feel and look fuller.

***You must get in all your required daily Protein, Water and oil.

I take/drink lots of Water, Biotin, zinc, Iron ( Vitron-c ) recommend by my doc they're great and help especially

during menses, fish oil or take your preference of oil your Nutrionist recommended.

I like to add extra butter to my scrambled eggs, or coconut oil to my drinks. Find foods like salmon, tuna in oil, sardines if you can tolerate taste are great fish on and healthy for us, avocados too

Put mayo on sandwiches, just try to get your oils in, any of your choice, as much as we are still counting and watching our calories, we still need oil to help with our Hair loss. This is my personal opinion, I think they need to emphasize this more during consultation before wls and tell everyone it's a must to help shed so much hair.

Even my face was super dry, so to this day I go to Walgreens or your preferred store, I buy the Nature Bounty brand Vitamins as many times they have buy one get one free

But I stock up on their Vitamin E-oil 30.000mg bottle, cost around $7 -$10 worth the cost and rub all over my face at night time to rehydrate my skin and also good for scars, so you can rub some on your wls scars too.

Hoe this helps a bit!! It will eventually stop as you will see the new lil ones growing out too.

Your hair stylist will probably see your new Hair growth before you do as it tends to grow toward bottom back of head which we can see and then you will see the lil ones on top yourself.

Push you hair back like a tight ponytail and you will see the new ones.

Be assure it will stop and regrow!!

Take good care and stay hydrated! :)

Sorry iPhone typos.

Man thanks for the tips! I am almost 8 weeks out and I am losing more hair than normal. I think it is due to hormones though. I am really worried about Hair loss at 4 months :(. Also, my skin has become really dry too! Strange. I still struggle to get all my fluids in and that doesn't help.